India has more than 661.8 million debit card users which is one of the highest in the world. Moreover, the number is only increasing. A lot of times, cardholders find it difficult to generate the PIN of their ATM card on their own. Especially in the rural areas of the country, people often wait for help in order to generate the PIN of their debit card. To make it easier and more convenient for the cardholders and to promote paperless transactions, the concept of Green PIN was introduced. Green PIN was launched in the year 2016 by the State Bank of India.
While issuing debit cards or credit cards, most of the banks, including both public sector and private sector, provide a PIN that enables card usage at ATMs and point-of-sale (POS) terminals.
How Does Green PIN works?
The initiative of Green PIN was introduced to popularise paperless banking that will work in favour of both the employees as well as the customers of the bank. By availing this facility, cardholders can generate their debit card's PIN through internet banking, SMS, IVR, and at the ATM as well. This initiative is being hailed as a great move towards saving paper.
Advantages of Green PIN
Listed below are the advantages of the Green PIN initiative:
- The employees of the bank don't have to keep physical custody of the ATM PIN as it is risky.
- The cardholders won't need to visit the bank to collect their ATM PIN.
- The Green PIN initiative will successfully reduce carbon footprint of private and public banks in India.
- Customers can avoid delay in the process of getting their PIN and can generate it the day they receive their debit card.
- This is a cost-effective initiative as the bank doesn't have to spend in sending the PIN to the customer via courier or post.
How Can a Cardholder Generate Green PIN?
A cardholder can generate their debit card’s PIN using the Green PIN initiative through internet banking, ATM or customer care. Listed below are the steps involved in each of these methods:
Generate Green PIN by Stepping into an ATM
Once the cardholder receives their debit card, they can step into the nearest SBI ATM.
follow the steps listed below to generate green pin using ATM
- First step is to insert their debit card into the ATM machine. Once the Main Menu appears on the screen, the cardholder needs to select the option of PIN Generation from it.
- The cardholder will be then asked to enter their 11-digit account number. Once they enter the same, they need to click on the 'Confirm' tab.
- Next, the cardholder will need to key-in their registered mobile number twice and confirm it.
- Once the details entered by the cardholder matches the ones registered with the bank's records, a message saying, 'Your Green PIN will be shortly delivered to your registered mobile number' will be displayed on the screen.
- Once the cardholder clicks on 'Confirm' again, another message will be displayed on the screen that would say, 'Your Green PIN generation has been successful and you will receive the same on your registered mobile number.'
- The cardholder will then receive a message on their phone with a One Time PIN (OTP), which will be valid for 2 days.
Generate Green PIN through SMS
Cardholders can also generate the Green PIN by sending an SMS from their registered mobile number.
follow the steps listed below to generate green pin using SMS
- Cardholders can sms PIN ABCD EFGH (Here, ABCD represent the last four digits of their debit card and EFGH represent the last four digits of their bank account number that is linked to their debit card) to 567676.
- Once the SMS is sent, the cardholder will receive an OTP to the registered mobile number. The OTP will be valid for 2 days and the cardholder needs to use it to generate debit card PIN by visiting their nearest SBI ATM.
Generate Green PIN using IVR
Cardholders can call the toll free customer care helpline of their bank to generate Green PIN on their registered mobile number.
follow the steps listed below to generate green pin using IVR
- Call the toll free customer care number of their bank.
- The next step is to follow the instructions and select 'ATM and Prepaid Services' from the list of options that would be read out.
- Next, the cardholder needs to enter their debit card number twice and confirm it.
- The cardholder will be asked to enter the account number linked to the debit card twice and confirm it.
- Once the cardholder confirms all the details, they will receive an SMS with a One Time Password (OTP), which will be valid for two days, during which the cardholder can visit any of the ATMs to generate their debit card PIN.
Generate Green PIN using Internet Banking
Cardholders can also use internet banking to generate the Green PIN.
follow the steps listed below to generate Green PIN using internet banking
- Login to the internet banking portal of your bank.
- Under the ‘Cards’ option from the main menu, select the ‘PIN generation’ option.
- Select the card for which you are willing to generate the PIN.
- Once you confirm all your details, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile phone number.
- You will be required to validate the OTP on the portal.
- Once the number has been validated, you can create your new PIN.
Generate Green PIN through missed call
Alternatively, cardholders can also use the missed call service offered by banks to generate the Green PIN for their card.
Follow the steps listed below to generate Green PIN through missed call
- You will be required to call the toll-free missed call service number of your bank.
- The call will be disconnected automatically.
- After this an OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile phone number through an SMS.
- Next, you would be required to go to an ATM wherein you can insert your debit card and generate your new ATM PIN.
- Select the ‘Generate ATM PIN’ option and then select the ‘Validate OTP’ option.
- Enter the OTP and the Request ID for validation.
- After the verification is done, create your new PIN.
FAQs on How to Generate Green PIN
Is the Green Pin secure?
Yes, the application of the Green PIN is to encourage paperless transactions and to secure your transactions made from the debit card.
How can I generate my Green PIN?
Cardholders can SMS PIN ABCD EFGH (Here, ABCD represent the last four digits of their debit card and EFGH represent the last four digits of their bank account number that is linked to their debit card) to 567676.
Can the Green PIN be generated online?
Yes, you can generate your Green PIN online through your bank’s net banking facility.