India is one of the world’s largest democratic countries, which constitutes of millions of people. Given the diversity that the country sustains, there are innumerable political parties that have been formed in every state, district or town. Elections are an elaborate affair in India and also a very integral part of the democracy. Elections in India are held once every 5 years. As responsible citizens of the nation, it is our duty to exercise our right to vote. However, since it involves very large part of the population, elections are never an easy affair. There are innumerable instances of electoral fraud that take place during elections, beside many other such malpractices. Hence, to smoothen things to an extent, the Election Commission of India has introduced the system of Voter ID cards.
What is a Voter ID Card?
A Voter ID Card, also known as the Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) is a photo identity card that is issued by the Election Commission of India to all individuals who are eligible to vote. The primary purpose of this card is to improve the accuracy of the electoral roll and to help prevent cases of electoral fraud. Additionally, it also serves as an identification proof when individual’s cast their vote. This card is commonly known by other names such as an election card, voter’s card, Voter ID, etc.
|Apply for a Voter Card||Documents Required||Voter's ID Eligibility||Uses of Voter ID Card||Track Voter ID Application Status|
|Register for Voter ID||Verify Voter ID||Fake Voter ID Cards||Why Is It Important To Have?||Things to keep in mind|
How to apply for a Voter ID Card?
Customers can apply for their voter ID either online, offline or through semi-online methods.
Voter Card Online Method:
Citizens can follow the method mentioned below to apply for a Online Voter ID:
- Applicant have to visit the national website of election commission and click on National Voters’ Services Portal.
- On clicking, citizens will be directed to a new page, where they have to click on ‘Apply online for registration of new voter id’.
- The online form will open and applicants have to fill in all the required details. Form 6 is divided into 4 sections and the applicant has to fill in all of them.
- After filling in the details, applicants can click on ‘Submit’. If they have not completed the form and wish to finish it later, they can click on ‘Save’ and if they want to change the entire information, they can click on ‘Reset’. There is a upload button on the top of the form, which applicants can use to upload all the required documents.
- In addition to this, they have to also provide a photo. After all the documents are uploaded, applicants will be sent a reference number through which they can check Voter ID Status.
Offline Voters ID Method:
If customers cannot or do not want to apply online, then they can follow the method mentioned below to apply for a voter ID offline:
- Applicants have to visit the State Election office and request for a Form 6.
- After filling in the necessary details and providing all relevant documents such as Identity proof and address proof, customers can submit the form to the office and after verification of all details, customers will be issued with the Election ID after a specified period of time.
Semi-Online Election ID:
Citizens can apply for a voter ID using semi-online method as well. To apply, they have to:
- Visit the national election commission or state election commission website and download Form 6.
- Fill the form with relevant details along with the required documents.
- Submit the form at the Election Office by either post or in person.
Voter ID is only issued after necessary verification of all documents and details provided by the applicant.
Documents Required For Voter ID Card:
While applying for a Voters ID , you have to submit the following documents:
- Identity Proof.
- Address Proof.
Voter ID Card Eligibility:
In order to apply for/obtain a Voter’s ID card, individuals must conform to the following criteria:
- Applicant must not be below 18 years of age.
- However, applicants who belong to any specified special category and who are financially bankrupt, (even if they are above 18 years of age) are not eligible to apply for a Voter Id card.
Uses of a Election Card or Voter ID Card:
The Voter ID card is of great use to every Indian citizen for a variety of reasons:
- The card serves as an accepted form of personal identity.
- The Voter ID Card acts as an acknowledgement that the card holder is a registered voter.
- The card includes several identification features like the applicant’s signature, photograph, fingerprints, etc., which provide added assurance for the card holder.
- In case of an election, the card carries provisions (by way of marking) to prevent the holder from voting multiple times.
- The Voter ID card can be designed to suit electoral requirements of a population with low literacy population.
- It is especially helpful as a form of identification for voters with no fixed address.
Track Voter ID Application Status Online:
Citizens can track the status of their application on the website of the State Election Commission. All Indians states have a State Election Commission, which means that every state has an official CEO website. On this website, applicants can track the status of their Voter’s ID application.
To track the status, they have to:
- Visit the electoral CEO official website.
- Click on ‘Know the Status of Your Application for Enrolment'. A separate window will open asking for some basic details of the form such as the Form number.
- You can also apply on the National Voters’ Services Portal and click on ‘Search your Name in electoral roll’. When the link opens, you will get 2 options to track your application:
- First Option – Write and submit the application number or EPIC number and state number. This will help you get your EPIC card number.
Second Option – Submit some details to get your Voter ID card status. You have to enter the following details:
- Date of birth
- Father’s name
- District constituency
Applicants can also use their reference id to track their application status on the National Voters’ Services Portal.
How to Register for Voter ID ?
Customers can register for a Voter ID by following the steps mentioned in the application process above. Applicants can register themselves as voters by procuring Form 6 and filling up the form. This form will have to be submitted either online or at one of the Electoral Offices along with the necessary documents. Once everything has been verified, customers will receive their Voter ID by post. Customers are advised to check their Voter ID for mistakes once they receive this document so as to prevent issues later on.
Online Voter Registration
The online registration process for a Voter ID is much simpler and easier compared to filling up complex forms and waiting in the queue for hours. An individual can visit the website of Election Commission of India (ECI) and follow few steps to apply for a Voter ID Card. There are many Indian citizens who are still not aware of this facility. When you choose the traditional method of the application process, chances are you will discover spelling or numerical mistakes in your Voter ID at a later stage. The online application is far superior, faster, and a simpler method of application that lets you track the status as well.
The Voter ID is a necessity for the upcoming assembly elections. If you do not have a Voter ID card, you can follow these instructions for the application procedure:
- Visit the National Voters' Services Portal's website http://www.nvsp.in/
- Choose form 6 provided under the 'Forms for registration in E-Roll' option on the left side of the screen
- Under 'National Services' Click on 'Apply online for registration of new voter'
- Choose the name of the State and Assembly Constituency based on your locality
- Enter your Personal Detail:
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Father's/Mother's/ Husband's Name
- Family member's details (if they already have a Voter ID Card)
- Provide scanned copy of the following documents:
- Your photograph
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Enter the Declaration Details:
- Click 'Save' to continue with the edits later or 'Submit'
Once you have submitted your application, you will be provided with an application reference ID. You will need to make a note of the ID to track the status of your application. You will also receive a text message with the ID for your reference. Based on your application, a verification will be carried out by the ECI's representative to approve your application.
What to do if your Voter ID card is not received?
If you haven’t received the Voter ID Card or any notification, please follow the steps to check the status:
- Visit - http://www.nvsp.in/Forms/Forms/trackstatus
- Enter your reference number for online application (received while submitting form 6)
- Click ‘Track Status’
- You will see the status of your application
If the verification process is taking time and you haven’t received the card after the application, you are recommended to visit the DEO with your reference number.
How to Verify Voter ID?
Customers can verify their Voter ID by using their Voter ID number. In case they suspect that their ID is fake or defunct, they can always verify the same both online or offline. They will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of their state, and click on the relevant link, provide their Voter ID details. By doing so, they can check if their name is present in the electoral roll. This can also be done offline wherein customers can repeat the above procedure at the Election Commission’s Office. Customers are also advised to ensure that they have their Application number that they would have received at the time of applying for their Voter ID, in case they wish to verify certain details at a later date.
Voter ID Card Correction in Electoral roll
The ECI provides all eligible voters a Voter ID card which has details like their name, address, etc. The number of voters in a particular constituency are reflected in the electoral roll, and any mistakes which are in your card are likely to show up in the list as well. Individuals who wish to change/correct their name in their voter ID can do so by making use of certain forms which the ECI has created.
If your name is wrong, all you need to do is fill out Form 8, highlighting the corrections to be made in your voter ID. This form needs to be submitted along with relevant supporting documents to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) of your assembly constituency. Once submitted, the ERO will take relevant steps to ensure corrections are incorporated into your voter ID.
The form can be downloaded from the official website of the Election Commission of India, or one could request for changes by submitting it online as well.
Fake or Defunct Voter ID Cards:
Like many other documents, fake or defunct Voter Id cards are also quite prevalent in India. These cards have little or no reliability and cannot be used by an individual to cast a vote. However, these cards are often misused for other purposes where a personal identification is required, for instance, to purchase a SIM card.
Fields Included In a Voter ID Card:
A voter ID card is an efficient and widely accepted form of personal identification in India. Not only does it facilitate one to cast their vote during an election but also acts as an identity proof and address proof for a variety of purposes. This card is issued by the Election Commission of India to all eligible Voters and comprises of the following fields:
- A hologram sticker.
- Serial number.
- Photograph of the card holder.
- Name of elector / card holder.
- Card holder’s parent’s Name.
- Card holder’s gender.
- Elector’s / card holder’s age as on the date of issue of the card.
Elector / card holder’s complete residential address is provided on the rear side of the card, along with the signature of the issuing authority.
Why Is It Important To Have?
The Voter ID Card is an important document for Indian citizens for a variety of reasons. Some of them are:
- Proof of Identity – The Voter ID card is an important document for Indian citizens as it is a valid form of an identification proof. The Voter ID card is accepted at various offices and institutions that require the individual to furnish a valid form of identification, like insurance companies, online travel companies, gas companies, banks, etc. Also, almost all government run agencies, insurance providers, claim firms, mortgage providers like banks ask applicants to provide a Voter ID number in order to process their request.
- Casting Votes – The Voter ID card is essential if you wish to cast your vote during any election. If you hold a valid Voter ID card and your name is present in the electoral roll of your local area, you can cast your vote.
- Registration In Electoral Roll Of A Non-Domicile State – The Voter ID serves yet another purpose of allowing individuals to register their name in the electoral roll of a state other than their state of domicile. This is especially helpful if a person has migrated from another state and wishes to enrol in the electoral list of his local area / constituency.
Why should you vote?
Voting is the right of every Indian citizen and as citizens living in a democratic society, voting is essential to maintain the tenets of this type of rule. Voting ensures that the leader at the centre or state is someone who is trusted by citizens and is believed to be capable by all citizens. The voting process is carried out in different stages, right from panchayat elections to the elections conducted to choose a Prime Minister for the country.
However, in order to vote, customers must be eligible. In India, citizens above the age of 18 can vote, regardless of caste and gender. In addition to this they must also possess a Voter ID without which they cannot vote. This is a document that serves as an Identity proof as well as Address proof. However, these cards are not issued to those who are bankrupt or mentally challenged.
Things to keep in mind while applying for a New Voter ID
Voter ID is one of the most important documents needed for Indian citizens as it enables them to carry out their voting duty. Voting is the foundation of a democratic country and it is imperative for every individual to do so. There are certain things to keep in mind prior to applying for a voter ID.
- Applicants will have to be above the age of 18 as it is legally impossible for them to vote otherwise.
- They should be of sound mind and should not be bankrupt.
- They should fill out the relevant forms such as Form 6 for application and ensure that they provide relevant original documents.
- Individuals should apply for a Voter ID only through government websites or centres or those that have been approved by the government, else they might just receive a fake document.
- Individuals should ensure that all details in their application forms are correct, such as the spelling of their name, birth date and so on. If this is not corrected in the beginning, their Voter ID will have the wrong information printed on it.
- Applicants should also ensure that the information that is being provided is legally correct and is not fake.
- Once applicants receive their Voter ID, they will have to check the document to see if all the information is correct.
How to vote without Voter ID Card?
To be eligible to vote in India, a person has to register himself or herself as a registered voter. The person can either register for the same offline or can visit the election commission website and get registered there. If the person is already a registered voter, then he or she can vote without the voter ID card. The following list of documents are accepted in case the person does not have his or her voter ID:
- Driving license
- Service Identity Cards with photographs issued to employees by Central, State Govt, Public Sector Undertakings, Public Limited Companies.
- Passbooks with Photograph issued by Bank or Post Office
- PAN card
- Aadhar card
- Smart Card issued by Registrar General of India(RGI) under the National Population Register
- Pension order with a photo
- MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act Job Card
- Health Insurance Smart Card issued under the scheme of the Ministry of Labour
Know more about Voter ID Pages:
Voter ID Status
Once you have applied for your Voter ID, you can track its status in the easiest and most convenient ways. Find out how to track the status of your application through the official ECI website, through SMS or by using the helpline service. Learn about the information you are required to provide in order to track the status of your Voter ID. Using these methods, you can find out whether your card is active or still being processed.
Read on to find more about Voter ID Status
Voter ID Registration
There are multiple avenues for Voter ID registration, knowing when and how to apply is important to get your Voter ID on time in order to be able to exercise your right to vote. Find out the different ways to apply online and offline and get your Voter ID in the easiest way. Procedures are different for general electors, service electors and NRI electors. Learn about your procedure, documents required and the correct form to use to get your Voter ID.
Read on to find more about Voter ID Registration
Apply for Voter ID Card Online
Applying for a Voter ID usually entails a long and tedious process. But the Government of India has simplified this process by digitizing it and making it available online. Online applications are faster and more convenient and are delivered within a month. Learn where to obtain the application form, how to fill it in, how to upload your documents and finally submit your application. The online application services can be used by all eligible electors including NRIs.
Read on to find more about Voter ID Card Online
Voter ID Verification
Once you have applied for your Voter ID, it is important to track its status to know whether your card has been approved and your name has been added to the electoral roll. Verification entails a team being sent to your registered address. You might receive you card without any verification, but if either of the two does not take place within two months, you need to address the issue promptly. Find out the methods of verification, tracking your status, and redressal of any issues.
Get details on Voter ID Verification
Voters ID Card Forms
Applying for your Voter ID can be a hassle if you get muddled up in the different forms available and the multiple avenues for registration. There are various forms available for modifications and changes to the Voter ID details as well. In order to keep the process clean and simple, you should be aware of which form you require according to your eligibility. Find out the correct form to use according to your category and desired request.
Read on to find more about Voters ID Card Forms
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card
For individuals who have lost or misplaced their Voter ID, or have even have it stolen from them, procedures are in place to apply for a duplicate card. In case the card is damaged or unusable, an individual can get a new card by following the right procedure. Duplicate cards are issued offline as well as through an online process. Find out which form to use, the documents to submit and how to go about getting a new Voter ID.
Check for How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card
How to Rectify Address in Voter ID
Rectifying a wrong address or any errors made in the spelling of your address on your Voter ID card can be done through a simple and fast process. A Voter’s ID allows an individual to participate in the elections but also serves as proof of identification and residence. It is important to have up to date and accurate details mentioned on the card. The facility for correcting the registered address is available online and offline. Find out the step-by-step procedure, which form to use, documents required and other important details.
Read on to find more about How to Rectify Address in Voter ID
Find out Process of Change/Correct Name in Voter ID Card
A change in the name mentioned on the Voter’s ID can be for a number of reasons that include a legal change in name, change due to marriage or an error made in the card. A Voter’s ID is one of the important documents of identification and should be updated as needed. The lengthy process to rectify the name has been simplified and made more user-friendly by the Government of India. Applicants can use online and offline methods to get the issue resolved quickly. The step-by-step process has been detailed to ensure that applicants use the correct form and submit the required documents to facilitate smooth processing.
Check out the Process of Change/Correct Name in Voter ID Card
Find Out Process to Change Voter ID Card Address Online
Changing your place of residence will mostly mean you have changed your constituency as well. In these cases, your name will have to be deleted from the previous electoral roll and added to the electoral roll of your new constituency. The facility for updating your new address and shifting your constituency is available online and offline. All your other details will be retained, but a new Voter ID card will be issued to you. Learn about the forms required, the procedure and documents required to finish this process smoothly and without any hassle.
Voting is the basis of a democracy and requires monitoring and laws to govern its processes and facilities. The Election Commission plays a pivotal role in the elections of India. The Commission and the Election Laws enable smooth conduct of elections, settlement of disputes and prevent fraudulent practices. Learn more about the commission, election laws, electoral rolls, polling, and information related to the candidates. Be aware of what is considered to be corrupt practices, and the grievance redressal mechanisms in place to address these issues.
Read on to find more about Election Commission
All You Need to know about NRI Voter ID Card
Indians who are currently residing abroad still have the right to vote and the need to include them into the electoral rolls has been addressed by the Government. NRIs can apply online, or offline if they are in the country, and get their Voter ID issued. Know more about the eligibility criteria, the form required, the documents to be submitted and the process of being included in the electoral rolls. Currently, NRIs have to be present in their constituency to cast their vote and cannot do it remotely.
Read on to find more about All You Need to know about NRI Voter ID Card
Color Voter ID
Originally, Voter ID cards were simple black and white cards with the details of the voter, a hologram sticker, a unique serial number and a stamped signature of the issuing authority. As we move into the digital age of India, these old cards simply don’t cut it anymore. The Government has introduced color Voter ID cards. Both new and old applicants can get their color Voter ID. Find out more about how and where to register for the new card, and the fees payable.
Read on to find more about Color Voter ID
Election Laws in India
When we talk about laws, rules, commission and politics, it can seem complicated and incomprehensible. But once simplified, it all becomes much easier to understand. Learn about the Government of India, Election Laws and the process of our democracy in a more simplified manner. Find out more about the details of elections that include election requisites, election symbols, the Model Code of Conduct, and the structure of the Government of India. Redressal of issues, disputes and doubts related to elections is also an important part of the election process.
Read on to find more about Election Laws in India
About Electoral Roll and how to use it to get details
The Electoral Roll is an integral part of the elections process in India. All eligible and registered voters are mentioned in the Electoral Roll and this helps in identifying the voters, tallying results and figuring out the statistics related to voting. Find out how to search for your name in the Electoral Rolls to ensure you are a registered voter. You can also learn more about deletion, correction of transposition of your name in the Electoral Rolls.
All about EVM
EVMs are Electronic Voting Machines that revolutionised the process of voting in India. EVMs are used in the State and General Elections and helped make the process more user-friendly, secure and fast. These machines are independent of electricity and save paper. Even with its own limitations, EVMs helped simplify the tedious voting process including casting votes, counting, tallying and generating the results. Find out more about EVMs and how they changed the way India votes.
Read on to know more about All about EVM
All you need to know about SVEEP
The right to vote is a privilege that was won after a great struggle by our freedom fighters. The importance of voting is sometimes lost amongst the hustle and bustle of life, or there is an a apathy towards it. The Election Commission of India introduced a programme called SVEEP which is the Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation. It aims at informing the citizens about the importance of voting and how each vote plays an pivotal role in the election process. The programme centers around motivating more citizens to vote. Learn more about its objectives, structure, process, events and facilities.