Definition: The voter list (officially known as the electoral roll) is a compiled comprehensive list, which includes the names and other details of voters in a particular constituency.
The Election Commission of India has published the voter's list for 2020 on their official website. With the convenience of the online system, the need to head to a booth with your ID proof or other essential documents to search for your name in voters list is no longer required.
However, this has to be done at least 10 days before the elections so that any type of error can be fixed at the earliest. Once the elections are about to begin, alterations are not allowed.
How to check your name is on Voter List Online?
Having a voter ID card is not enough for a person to be eligible to vote in an election in India. Before the elections, the person should check whether his or her name is present on the voter list or not. Now, the election commission has made it possible for a person to check their name on the voter list online. Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the website http://electoralsearch.in/ .
- After visiting the website you can search for your name on the voter list by two methods.
- The first method is by clicking on the ‘Search by Details’ option.
Individuals who wish to check if their names have been included in the voter’s list or those who wish to check any details pertaining to their Voter ID card can do so by following the steps outlined below:
- Visit the National Voter’s Service Portal, the official website for all voter-related information run by the Election Commission of India.
- Select the ‘Search Your Name in Electoral Roll’ option from among those provided.
- Pick from the search options available (and listed above) and enter the details accordingly.
- The results will be displayed on screen depending on the information being available in the database.
Individuals who have register to vote should make it a point to check the electoral roll to ensure their name is mentioned to avoid being denied the right to vote at elections. In case of a name being absent from the database, the individual can contact the nearest electoral office and notify the officer of this.
Search your name on the electoral list by entering your details
- Enter all your personal details on the website such as your name, date of birth, age and constituency of residence, from where you have been registered as a voter.
- Next enter the code that you are seeing on the captcha image and then click on search. If you are able to see your name below the submit button, your name is on the voter list, otherwise, there is a very good chance that your name is missing from the voters' list.
Search your name in Voter List by EPIC number
- Enter the EPIC number in the box. Then select the state of your residence.
- Next, type the code that you see in the captcha image.
- If your name is in the voters' list then you will be able to see the name below the submit otherwise there is a very good chance that your name is not on the voters' list.
How to download Voter List?
- Visit the website eci.nic.in/ .
- On the side of the page, you will see an option ‘PDF Electoral Roll’.
- After clicking on the link, a page containing the link to the electoral roll of all the state will open. Click on the state from where you are registered as a voter.
- After clicking on the state in which you reside, you will see a list of districts that belong to that state. Click on the district in which you reside.
- After clicking on the name of the district, you will see a list of AC names on the page. Click on the AC name from which you are registered to vote.
- Next, you will see a list of polling stations belonging to that AC. Select the option ‘Draft Roll’ next to your polling station.
- You should be able to see the voting list and download voter ID.
Importance of the Voting List
- The electoral roll is a document that lists the names of registered voters for a particular constituency.
- In the electoral roll, there is no discrimination against anyone on any parameter. The document also ensures that the election process is carried out in a procedural manner.
- The list also ensures that if your name is not present on the list, you will be denied the right to vote.
- The updating process in the voters' list is also important as all those people who have turned 18 years of age and are eligible to vote, provided they have their names added to the list. The names of people who are deceased but still have their names on the voters' list will be removed.
- The updation process of electoral rolls also confirms that no fake voters have been included in the list. This has proved to be a major problem in the past.
- The full name of the person
- Date of birth
- Signature sample
- National ID number
- Registration address
- Code of the polling station
- Name of the polling station
- Area or locality
The electoral authorities use these details to authorise the person’s identity at the election booths.
FAQs on Voter List
How can I register in voter list?
To register in the voter list, all you need to do is apply for a new EPIC. This is automatically put you in the voter list. In the event that you are not registered in the voter list, visit the NVSP website to file a complaint.
How can find my name in vot list?
To find your name in the voter list, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the official NVSP website.
- Click on ‘Search your name in electoral roll’.
- Under the tab ‘Search by details’, fill in all the required details.
- If your name appears, it means that your name is in the voter list.
How to download voter list?
The voter list can be downloaded from the ECI (Election Commision of India) website.
How to check if your name is already there on the voter list?
You can determine whether your name is in the voter list by clicking on ‘Search your name in electoral roll’ in the official NVSP website.
What do I do in case I do not find my name in the voter list?
Some of the reasons your name is missing in the voter list are:
- You’ve changed your constituency.
- If you’ve deleted the name.
- There is a technical glitch.