|Duplicate Voter ID Card|
A voter ID card is one of the most important documents issued by the government to its citizens. It permits the bearer to participate and vote in elections at the regional, start as well as national level, allowing the bearer to elect a representative who will govern the region, state or country respectively.
Once your voter ID card has been issued, you can use the same card throughout your lifetime to participate in elections. In the event the card is lost, misplaced or is unusable due to being torn or mutilated, you can apply for a duplicate card.
Apply for duplicate Voter ID
Applying for a duplicate voter ID card is now a quick and convenient process. Applicants can apply for a duplicate voter’s ID card in the following situations:
- Theft of card
- Card misplaced or stolen
- If card is unusable due to wear and tear
The applicant will have to submit an application form along with supporting documents to the Electoral Officer, who will issue the card after verifying the information.
Step by step procedure to obtain a duplicate voter id card
Listed below are the Steps to Follow When Applying for a Duplicate Voter ID Card:
- Visit the electoral office nearest to your place of residence and collect a copy of Form EPIC-002, which is the application form for duplicate voter ID card.
- Fill in the form with the relevant details such as name, address, voter ID card etc.
- Attach the required supporting documents and submit the form at the electoral office.
- On submission, you will receive a reference number that you can use to track the status of voter Id application.
- Your application will be verified by the Electoral Officer and on successful verification, you will be issued with a duplicate voter’s ID card.
- You will be notified regarding your application being processed and can collect your card in person from the electoral office.
Online Process to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card
Applying for a duplicate voter ID card used to be a long process earlier, where you had to make multiple trips to the local electoral office to collect a form, submit it and track your application.
The Election Commission of Indi has now introduced an online application process for duplicate voter ID cards across all states and union territories. Now, you can apply for a duplicate card from the comfort of your home and complete all the formalities without having to visit the electoral office each time.
Process to Apply Online for a Duplicate Voter’s ID Card:
- Download a copy of Form EPIC-002 which is the application form for issue of a duplicate voter ID card from your state’s Chief Electoral Officer's website.
- Fill in the form and attach all the required documents as mentioned in the form such as FIR copy, proof of address, and proof of identity.
- Submit the form to your local electoral office, whereupon you will be issued a reference number.
- You can track your application status on the state election office website using this number.
- Once you have submitted your form, it will be processed and verified by the electoral office.
- After successful verification, you will be notified and can go to the electoral office and collect your duplicate voter ID card.
Form for Duplicate Voter ID
The form to be submitted for the issue of a duplicate voter ID card is known as Form EPIC-002. This is the form for the issue of a photo voter ID card, and is available on the websites of the various Chief Electoral Officers for each state. The form is also available at all electoral offices across the country.
Applicants will have to provide certain details when applying for a duplicate voter’s ID card, such as their state or union territory, full name, address, date of birth, as well as the reason for applying for a duplicate card.
In case of loss or theft of voter ID card, a copy of the FIR registered at the time of the loss/theft is also to be attached, along with address proof, identity proof as well as passport sized photographs.
Duplicate Voter ID Card FAQ’s
When can I apply for a duplicate voter’s ID?
You can apply for a duplicate voter’s ID in the below mentioned instances:
- In case of a misplaced voter’s ID card.
- In case of theft of the voter’s ID card.
- If the card is mutilated or torn.
What are the documents I have to submit to apply for a duplicate voter ID card if I have lost my original card?
In case you have lost your original voter ID card, you are required to submit the following documents:
- FIR (First Information Report) registered at the time of loss of the voter card (in case of application for lost or misplaced cards).
- Form EPIC-002, filled in and signed.
- Proof of address.
- Proof of identity.
- Passport sized photographs.
Where can I find the form to apply for a duplicate voter ID card?
Form EPIC-002 is to be submitted when applying for a duplicate voter ID card. The form can be found online on the state Chief Electoral Officer’s websites. It can also be picked up from an electoral office.
Can I apply for a duplicate voter ID card online?
Yes, you can apply for a duplicate voter ID card online by visiting the website of the Chief Electoral Officer’s website for your particular state/Union Territory and following the instructions mentioned on the form.
Can I track the status of my duplicate voter ID card application?
Yes, you can track the status of your duplicate voter ID card application if you have applied online. Use the reference number that is generated when you submit your online application to track the status on the website you applied from.
How can I collect my supplicate voter ID card?
You can collect your duplicate voter ID card by having it posted to your registered address or you could choose to collect it in person from the nearest electoral office.
What is the process to apply for a duplicate voter ID card offline?
Applicants who wish to apply for a duplicate voter ID card offline can do so by following the below steps:
- Collect a copy of Form EPIC-002 from the nearest electoral office.
- Fill in the details such as name, address, date of birth, EPIC number and reason for application.
- If the application is due to a lost or misplaced voter ID card, attach a copy of the FIR filed at the time of the loss/theft.
- Attach copies of address proof and identity proof and submit these along with the form to the electoral office.
- Once the application has been processed, the voter ID card will be sent to your registered address.
Can I apply for a colour duplicate voter ID card if my previous voter ID card was black and white?
Yes, you can apply for a coloured duplicate voter ID card if your previous voter ID card was in black and white. You will have to pay a fee of Rs. 30 and submit a photograph that matches the specifications as mentioned on the form.
Will I have to surrender my torn or mutilated voter ID card before applying for a duplicate card?
No, it is not necessary to surrender your torn or mutilated voter ID card before applying for a new one since it will not be accepted as identity proof due to the condition it is in.
What information do I have to provide in the duplicate voter ID card application form?
You have to provide details such as your full name, address, date of birth, EPIC card number, reason for applying for a duplicate voter ID card in the application form.