How to use ‘SBI Green PIN’ to Generate SBI Debit Card PIN?
Did you know that Mr. Kumar’s Credit Card gets him free movie tickets every month? Get A Card
While issuing debit cards or credit cards, most of the banks, including both public sector and private sector, provide a PIN that enables card usage at ATMs and point-of-sale (POS) terminals. Ever since banks started issuing debit card or credit card PINs, PIN mailers have been the most popular delivery method. The mailers hide the PIN number with scratch-off panels which also help reveal any kind of tampering attempts.
PIN mailers are typically sent to the cardholders’ address through postal service or courier. Of late, some banks started handing the PINs directly to the customers by including them in the welcome kit. However, if the card holder wants to change the PIN for any reason, he/she needs to visit the bank branch to submit ATM PIN regeneration request.
Even though sending an ATM or debit card PIN through PIN mailers is the most common banking practice, it has its own risks and costs involved. Bank employees need to maintain physical custody of ATM PINs, postal delivery may get delayed, if the PIN mailer gets damaged or tampered during transit, banks need to send a new PIN, increased postal and stationery charges to the banks and inconvenience for customers to visit bank branches for PIN regeneration.
Green PIN – A Paperless Debit Card PIN Generation
To avoid all these situations, banks have come up with a new banking feature called ‘Green PIN’. As the name suggest, it’s a green way to generate a debit card PIN. Using the Green PIN feature, cardholders can generate debit card PIN themselves.
SBI Green PIN
Following the tradition, State Bank of India (SBI) launched ‘SBI Green PIN’ to enable its customers an easy and convenient way to generate their debit card PINs.
Introducing SBI Green PIN is part of SBI’s green initiative and a new step towards paperless banking. It benefits both its employees and customers. While the bank employees who take care of the ATM PIN deliveries can be deployed to other bank operations, SBI customers can enjoy the convenience of generating/regenerating ATM PINs at their own comfort.
The feature also reduces carbon footprint and provides substantial cost savings for the bank.
How to Generate SBI Debit Card PIN using SBI Green PIN
To generate SBI debit card PIN, the card holder needs to have SBI Green PIN. The Green PIN can be generated using three channels including ATM, SMS and customer care. Once the Green PIN is generated using the above channels, cardholders can use the same to generate their debit card PIN.
Let’s now see how to generate the Green PIN using the aforementioned channels, following which debit card PIN generation would be the common procedure.
Mrs. Sharma enjoys cashback on all her retail purchases. You could too! Get A Card
Generate Green PIN through ATM
Once you have received your SBI ATM cum debit card, visit any one of the nearest SBI ATMs.
follow the below steps mentioned below to generate SBI Green PIN by ATM
- Insert debit card in the ATM to view the Menu
- Select ‘PIN Generation’ option
- You will be prompted to enter your 11-digit account number. Enter the same using the keypad and click ‘Confirm’.
- You will be asked for your registered mobile number, enter the same and press ‘Confirm’.
- If the details entered by you match the bank records, a message saying ‘your green PIN will be shortly delivered to your registered mobile number’ will be displayed.
- Press ‘Confirm’ to see another message which says ‘Your Green PIN generation has been successful and you will receive the same on your mobile number’.
- You will then receive a message on your phone with one time PIN (OTP), which will be valid for 2 days.
Generate SBI Green PIN through SMS
The Green PIN can also be generated by sending a simple message from the registered mobile number.
SMS PIN ABCD EFGH (ABCD represent last four digits of debit card number and EFGH represent last four digits of the bank account number linked to the debit card) to 567676
- Once the SMS is sent, you will receive an OTP to the same number. The OTP will be valid for 2 days and should be used to generate debit card PIN by visiting any of SBI ATMs.
Super Duper Deals by Bankbazaar
- Avail a gift voucher worth upto Rs.1000 from Amazon on applying for a credit card
- Voucher will be provided upon approval of the credit card application
- Offer will be valid from December 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018
Generate SBI Green PIN by Calling SBI Customer Care
Alternatively, cardholders can call SBI customer care helplines to receive Green PIN on their registered mobile numbers.
- Call SBI toll free customer care at 1800 11 22 11/ 1800 425 3800 or 080-26599990
- Follow the instructions and select ‘ATM and Prepaid Card Services’ option
- Select ‘1’ to generate Green PIN
- You will be asked to enter your debit card number, enter the same and confirm
- You will be asked to enter the account number linked to the debit card, enter the same and confirm
- Once you confirm all the details, you will receive an SMS with one time PIN (OTP), which will be valid for two days, during which you can visit any of the SBI ATMs to generate your debit card PIN.
Generate SBI Debit Card PIN using SBI Green PIN
Once you have received your SBI Green PIN using any of the above listed channels, you can use the same to generate your ATM cum debit card PIN. To do it, you need to visit any of the SBI ATMs and follow the below process.
- Insert your SBI debit card in any SBI ATM
- Select ‘Banking’
- Choose language either English, Hindi or regional language based on the available options
- Once you choose the language, you will be prompted to enter your PIN
- Enter the OTP or the Green PIN received on your registered mobile
- Select ‘PIN Change’ option from the ‘Select Transaction’ menu
- Enter a new four digit PIN of your choice and re-confirm the same
- If the process is successful you will see a message, ‘Your PIN has been changed successfully’
The new PIN then becomes the actual PIN for your ATM card and should be used for further operations such as cash withdrawal, POS and online transactions.
Generate SBI Debit Card PIN using Internet Banking
While the above three channels require the customers to visit SBI ATMs to generate their debit card PIN, the internet banking option allows them to do the same without visiting any ATM. Using SBI Online website card holders can directly generate or regenerate their debit card PIN. However, to avail this facility one needs to register for SBI internet banking and should have valid username and password.
Once you have activated your internet banking account you can
follow the below process to generate your debit card or ATM card’s PIN.
- Login to SBI Online using your account credentials
- From the main menu, select ‘e-Services> ATM Card Services’
- On the ATM Card Services page, select ‘ATM PIN Generation’
- On the ATM PIN Generation page, you need to select one option, either ‘Using One Time Password’ or ‘Using Profile Password, to validate
- If you select ‘Using Profile Password’ option, you will be taken to a new page where you need to select the account linked to the debit card, for which you need to generate the PIN. Select the card and click ‘Submit’
- A new page will then display all your existing cards. Select the one for which you need to generate new PIN or change existing PIN and click ‘Confirm’
- You will be take to ‘ATM PIN Generation’ page, where you need to enter any two digits to create a new PIN. Enter the digits and click ‘Submit’
- As soon as you submit, you will receive the last two numbers of your PIN through SMS on you registered mobile number
- Now the ATM PIN Generation page asks you to enter four digits of your new PIN. Enter the two digits you have chosen earlier and the last two digits from your SMS and click ‘Submit’
- You will now see a message, which says that your ATM PIN has been changed successfully
Once you have your new PIN for your new card, you need to go to ‘e-Services > ATM Card Services > New ATM Card Activation’ to activate the card. The card can also be activated by conducting first transaction at any SBI ATM.
Mr. Sharma enjoys great discounts on dining with his Credit Card. What about you? Get A Card
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar’s partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.