With the increase in the number of credit card frauds, it is very important to be aware of various methods to block your credit card. Blocking your card becomes necessary when it’s lost or stolen or when you find any suspicious transaction on your card. The sooner you report the loss/fraudulent transaction to the bank, the better it is for you.
Immediate blocking helps you prevent further transactions to take place on your card and in case of lost card it prevents misuse.
Most of the banks offer common ways to block your credit card. You can either
- Call customer care
- Send an SMS
- Use internet banking
- Use mobile app or
- Visit bank’s branch in person
You may resort to any of the methods to raise a request for blocking your credit card. Knowing your bank specific methods will further help you to choose one based on your convenience. Opt for methods that take less time to become effective.
Below is bank specific methods to block your credit card. Go through them and make yourself ready to face any kind of credit card frauds. You can also help/guide your family/friends, when they are in trouble with respect to their credit cards.
How to Block SBI Credit Card?
State Bank of India (SBI) makes it easy for its credit card customers by offering both online and offline methods to block stolen or lost cards. The bank also recommends to immediately raise a card block request on receiving any transaction alert which you have not done.
Block SBI Credit Card Offline
Offline indicates methods that would help you raise a card block request without internet. SBI offers three offline modes to block your SBI credit card.
- Call SBI Helpline to Block your Card: This is the easiest thing you can do instantly block your SBI credit card. Call SBI helpline 1860-1801-290 or 39020202, by prefixing your local STD code and raise your request to block the card. You can also call SBI toll free number 1860 180 1290. Make sure you have your credit card number handy to help the phone banking executive easily identify you. Also try to call from the registered mobile number for quick authentication.
- SMS to Block SBI Credit Card: In case you’re not able to call or when the phone banking lines are too busy, you can send an SMS with last four digits of your credit card number to 5676791.
SMS - BLOCK **** to 5676791 (**** represents last four digits of your card number).
SMS option can be used only when you have your registered mobile number. Make sure you are sending the SMS from the registered number. In case, you don’t have the number, opt for different method to raise the request.
- Visit Nearest SBI Branch: If you’re located close to any SBI branch, you can visit and raise a request to block the card. You should have your card number and other customer identification details to quickly process your request.
Block SBI Credit Card Online
SBI net banking users can instantly block their credit card using their online accounts.
Below is a step by step guide to block your SBI credit card online.
- Login to your net banking account at https://www.sbicard.com/
- From the left side menu, click ‘Requests’> ‘Report a lost/stolen card’, select the card to be blocked
- You will also find ‘Re-issue card’ option below. You can opt for it if you want the bank to issue a new card. Else, you can simply click ‘Submit’.
As soon as you hit submit, your card will be blocked. In case, you have opted for a new card, you will be sent a new card to your registered address.
How to Unblock SBI Credit Card?
You can unblock your SBI credit card by calling the bank’s helpline 1860-1801-290 or 39020202 by suffixing your STD code. Never unblock a lost/stolen card, rather unblock the card which is temporarily blocked for reasons such as spending over the limit, non-payment of dues or suspicious activity.
For now you may not be able to unblock your SBI card online.
How to Block HDFC Credit Card?
The private lender, HDFC, also offers a facility to block your credit card when it’s lost/stolen or when you found some suspicious transaction that has taken place using your card details.
Call Helpline to Block HDFC Credit Card
You can simply call HDFC customer care number and raise a request for blocking your credit card.
A 24x7 helpline is available to report loss of your credit card and to request for blocking the same. The helpline is also available on weekends and on all national holidays.
Find your city/state specific helpline number at www.hdfcbank.com/personal/find-your-nearest/find-phone-banking and call immediately to block your card.
Alternatively, you can also call toll free HDFC helpline 1800 266 4332 for all the credit card related queries. However, the service is only available for specific cities.
Contacting the customer care from the registered mobile number will make it easier for the phone banking executives to authenticate your details.
Visit the Nearest Branch: If you find any nearest HDFC branch, you can visit the same to raise a request for blocking your credit card. Before walking into the branch make sure you have your credit card number and other customer identification details to enable easy processing.
Block HDFC Credit Card Online
HDFC net banking users with their credit cards registered in their accounts can directly block their credit card and can also request for a new card on the same page.
Here is the step-by-step guide to block your HDFC credit card online.
- Login to your internet banking account at netbanking.hdfcbank.com with your customer ID and password.
- Click Cards > Credit cards > Credit Card Hot listing
- You will find the list of credit cards registered in your account
- Select the one you wish to block and enter the reason for blocking it, as prompted
- If you want to receive a new card, you can select the same from the option below
Your card will be blocked as soon as you hit the submit button. If you request for re-issue of card, HDFC will be charge Rs.100 as reissuance fee. The charge is same for re-issuing lost/stolen or damaged credit card.
How to Unblock HDFC Credit Card?
The only way to re-activate your blocked HDFC credit card is to call the bank’s customer care and request for the same. Don’t try to unblock your lost/stolen cards or when you have applied for re-issuance. The unblock option is mostly suitable when the bank blocks your card for any late payments or over limit spends.
Unblocking HDFC credit card online, which means using your net banking, is not available for now.
How to Block ICICI Bank Credit Card?
ICICI offers its credit card customers two options to block their lost/stolen credit cards. They can use the same to block their card if it is misused by any means.
Block ICICI Credit Card by Calling Customer Care
To raise a blocking request, call ICICI helpline number from you registered mobile number. You can find your city/state specific customer care number at www.icicibank.com/customer-care.page.
Have your credit number and other customer identification details ready to make it easy for the executive to identify and block your card quickly.
Block your ICICI Credit Card Online
Existing internet banking customers can use their online accounts to instantly block their credit cards.
- Login to your account with your customer ID and password.
- Go to My accounts and choose ‘Block your Credit card-Instant deactivation’ listed under Credit Cards.
- The list of credit cards registered in your account will be displayed. Choose the one you like to block and click ‘submit’.
Your card will be blocked immediately. In case, you wish to get a replacement for your lost/stolen card, you can call the customer care and request for the same. It is also recommended to replace your card in case you’re blocking it for fraudulent transactions.
How to Unblock Your ICICI Credit Card ?
You can unblock your ICICI credit card by calling the bank’s 24 hours helpline. Never unblock a lost/stolen card, rather you can use the facility for temporarily blocked card for reasons such as spending over the limit, non-payment of dues or suspicious activity.
For now the option to unblock ICICI credit card online is not available.
How to Block Axis Bank Credit Card ?
Axis bank allows its credit card customers online as well as offline methods to block their cards in case they are lost/stolen. They are allowed to block even when they find any suspicious transactions on their credit cards.
Block Axis Bank Credit Card Offline
Offline blocking methods involve raising request without using internet. However, you need your registered mobile to block your card using offline methods.
- Call Customer Care: Call Axis bank customer care number 1860-419-5555 or 1860-500-5555 to raise a request for blocking your credit card. Have your card number and other details handy while contacting the banking executives.
- Send an SMS: You can also send an SMS in a specified format to block your credit card in real time. SMS BLOCK 16-digit credit card number to 5676782. Make sure you send the message only from the registered mobile number.
Block Axis Bank Credit Card Online
Two different online methods are available to block your Axis bank credit card
- Using Net Banking Account: Axis bank credit card holders having internet banking access can block their cards instantly. Login to your net banking account, click Accounts > Select My credit cards. All the registered credit cards will be displayed and you need to select the one you wish to block. Click on More services > Block card. You will be prompted to enter the reason, enter the reason, and click ‘Next’.
As soon as you hit next, you will receive NetSecure code through SMS. Enter the same and your card will be blocked immediately.
- Axis Mobile App: You can also block your Axis bank credit card using the bank’s mobile app. If you already have the app installed in your mobile you can continue, otherwise you can install one to use this method to block your card.
Open the app, click credit cards. All the registered cards will be displayed. Select the card, click on Controls > Block & Replace the card. You will receive a confirmation on the app as soon as you submit the details. You will also receive an SMS on the registered mobile number confirming your card blocking request.
How to Unblock Axis Bank Credit Card?
While blocking credit card is being allowed online, unblocking can be done only by taking help of bank’s customer care. Unblocking Axis bank credit card online is currently not available.
How to Block Citibank Credit Card?
If you lost your Citibank credit card or when your card gets stuck in the ATM card slot or when you find a transaction which you haven’t made, you have to immediately block your card to prevent further misuse.
- Call Customer Care: Citibank customer care is available 24x7 and can be approached to block your credit card. Call toll free number 1800 425 2484 / 1800 267 2425 and request the executive to block your card. Make sure to have your credit card number handy while making a call.
- Block Citibank Credit Card Online: Citibank customers having net banking access with the lost/stolen card registered in the account can block their credit card instantly.
- Login to www.citibank.com/India with your net banking ID and IPIN
- From the left side menu bar select Credit card > Other Services and Queries > Report lost/stolen card.
- You will be further guided by the system to block the card
Once the card is blocked, your access to credit card account online will also be blocked till the time a new card is issued.
How to Unblock Citibank Credit Card?
To unblock Citibank credit card, you need to contact customer care and raise a request for the same. Unblocking Citibank card online is currently not possible even when you have internet banking access
Also be aware that you cannot unblock a credit card which is stolen, lost or damaged. In all such cases, a new credit card will be issued with a different number and PIN. The replacement card will be sent to your registered mailing address.