IRCTC introduces new technologies and rules from time to time to increase the quality of the Indian railway system. In one of their attempts to make railway ticket booking easy, Indian railways have introduced IRCTC eWallet. As the name suggests, IRCTC eWallet is an online eWallet scheme that allows users to deposit money in advance in the IRCTC eWallet which can be used while booking train tickets in the future. This is an additional payment option that can be used by a customer apart from the existing payment options. IRCTC eWallet was launched to make online ticket booking easy, simple, and hassle-free. Users can now avoid the long, time-consuming payment procedure through bank’s payment gateway and use IRCTC eWallet.
Advantages of using IRCTC eWallet
Some of the advantages of using the IRCTC eWallet are:
- Hassle-free ticket bookings
- Secure transactions
- Saves a lot of time
- Eliminate payment approval cycle
- Avoids payment gateway charges per transaction
- Encourages online ticket booking
- Dependency on a single bank is reduced
- Tickets can be booked even when the bank’s website goes offline
Features of IRCTC eWallet
Some of the features of IRCTC eWallet are:
- IRCTC eWallet users are required to verify and authenticate their account using their PAN or Aadhaar number.
- All IRCTC eWallet account undergoes a strict online verification process.
- IRCTC eWallet is password/PIN protected. For every booking, customers are required to enter the password or PIN.
- All users will be given a separate link to view their transaction history. This link can also be used to change the password.
- In case of ticket cancellation, the refund will be credited back to the IRCTC eWallet within 1 business day.
How to register to IRCTC eWallet
Please follow the simple steps mentioned below to register to IRCTC eWallet:
- Login to the official IRCTC website with your existing username and password.
- If you are not a registered customer, please register on the IRCTC website.
- Once you login to the IRCTC website, navigate to the “Plan my travel” page.
- Under this page, click IRCTC eWallet section.
- Click on the “IRCTC eWallet registration” option.
- To complete the verification process, you will be asked to enter your PAN or Aadhaar details.
- Fill in all the details and click on continue.
- You will be prompted to make a one-time registration fee of Rs.50 (Inclusive of taxes).
- Choose any one of the payment options listed and make the payment.
- After paying the one-time registration fee of Rs.50, credit your IRCTC eWallet account with an initial deposit of Rs.100.
- The maximum amount allowed in one user’s account is Rs.10,000.
- When you are booking a train ticket, select IRCTC eWallet option which will be displayed along with other banks and make a payment.
How to deposit money in your IRCTC eWallet?
After registering to the IRCTC eWallet, you will be allowed to deposit funds into your virtual wallet. Be proactive and deposit money in your eWallet as it will help you when you book a train ticket in the future. To deposit funds into your eWallet, follow the simple steps listed below:
- Login to you IRCTC eWallet account using your registered username and password.
- In the eWallet account, you will see an option/link called “IRCTC eWallet Deposit”. Please click on the link.
- Enter the amount you wish to add to your IRCTC eWallet.
- Choose one payment method from the list and make the payment.
- Once the payment goes through, the funds will be credited to your IRCTC eWallet.
IRCTC eWallet FAQs
- Is the one-time registration fee of Rs.50 refundable?
No. Unfortunately, the one-time registration fee of Rs.50 is non-refundable.
- What is the transaction fee for each transaction I make using the IRCTC eWallet?
You will be charged Rs.5 per for every transaction you make using the IRCTC eWallet.
- Will I be able to request for cash refunds in case the tickets are cancelled?
Unfortunately, you cannot request for cash refunds if your tickets are cancelled. The refund amount will be credited back to your IRCTC eWallet within 1 working day.
- Can I book bus or flight tickets using the balance in my IRCTC eWallet?
No. You will not be allowed to use the balance in your IRCTC eWallet to book bus or flight tickets. You can use the balance to book railway tickets only.
- Can I book my train tickets using my IRCTC eWallet anytime?
Please note that you will not be able to book train tickets using your IRCTC eWallet from 8 a.m to 12.pm. Please plan your bookings accordingly.