HDFC or Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited is the first private sector bank to have been granted approval by the RBI (Reserve Bank of India). The bank boasts of a highly sophisticated technology that enables its customers to operate their accounts with utmost ease. HDFC has introduced SMS Banking for its customers who can access their accounts and make transactions easily through their mobile phone, making banking easier, smarter, and simpler.
With HDFC SMS Banking, customers can access their accounts on-the-go. Right from monitoring their accounts, to making transactions, to keeping a track of their fixed deposits can be done through this facility. The facility can be availed in both English as well as in Hindi.
How does HDFC SMS Banking work?
HDFC SMS Banking allows its users to perform many functions such as accessing the account statement, mini-statement, etc. The facility requires its customers to type a specific keyword and send it as an SMS to 5676712. The customer then receives a text message in response within a matter of a few seconds.
List of SMSes for various SMS Banking functions:
Given below is the list of SMS instructions that customers can send to avail SMS Banking from HDFC:
|Bal||Balance Enquiry||Customers can request for display of available balances of up to 5 linked accounts in a chronological order||Bal <Last 5 digits of A/C no.>|
|Txn||Mini Statement||Displays the last three credits or debits||Txn <Last 5 digits of A/C no.>|
|Stm||Account Statement Request||Customers can get their account statement emailed (Statement period from the last received statement till the date of SMS sent)||Stm <Last 5 digits of A/C no.>|
|Chq||Cheque Book Request||Cheque book sent by mail to customer||Chq <Last 5 digits of A/C no.>|
|Cst<6-digit cheque no.>||Cheque Status Enquiry||Customers can enquire about the status of cheque issued by them||Cst<6-digit cheque no.> <Last 5 digits of A/C no.>|
|S2p<6-digit cheque no.>||Stop Cheque||Stops an issued cheque from payment||Stp<6-digit cheque no.> <Last 5 digits of A/C no.>|
|Bil||Details of a bill||Customer can avail details of utility bills such as telephone bill or electricity bill through SMS||-|
|Ipin||IPIN (Internet banking password) regeneration||Customer receives a confirmed receipt of IPIN regeneration request. The IPIN is sent to customer’s mailing address||-|
|Fdq||Enquiry of Fixed Deposit||Customer can view details of current fixed deposit with the bank of up to five accounts. It will display principal amount, rate of interest, maturity amount, maturity date, account number.||-|
|New<14-digit account no.>||Change of Primary Account||The facility can be used to change primary account||-|
|Help||Keyword List||Displays the list of keywords along with their functions||-|
How to register for HDFC SMS Banking?
There are various ways to register for the net banking facility provided by HDFC:
SMS – Customers can register for the facility by sending an SMS.
- Customers can send the following SMS – REGISTER <Custid> <Last 5 digits of A/C no.> to 5676712 from their registered mobile number.
- HDFC SMS Banking is registered instantly.
NetBanking – Customers can also register for the SMS banking facility using NetBanking.
- HDFC customer must login using their customer ID and IPIN.
- The user is required to click on SMS Banking Registration.
- The user must then fill in the required details.
ATM – HDFC Bank customers can also register for the facility through an ATM.
- The HDFC customer must enter his or her ATM PIN.
- The ATM machine will display ‘More Options’ tab, on the home page.
- The user can then register for mobile banking.
Bank Branch – Customers who want to register for HDFC SMS Banking can also fill in the application form and drop it at the bank’s branch.
HDFC Account Balance via missed call:
HDFC also offers its customers instant balance inquiry through a missed call or toll-free mobile banking facility using the following number – 1800-270-333. Customers receive the balance status through SMS in a few seconds. There are different numbers for different functions:
- Account Balance – 1800-270-3333
- Mini Statement – 1800-270-3355
- Cheque Book Request – 1800-270-3366
- Account Statement – 1800-270-3377
HDFC SMS Banking FAQs:
- Can I avail an account statement for a previous period?
No, account statement for a previous period cannot be availed through SMS Banking.
- Can HDFC SMS Banking be availed outside my registered city or outside my telecom circle?
Yes, the facility can be availed from anywhere in the country or abroad, provided national or international roaming is activated on your registered mobile.
- Can I stop multiple cheques at a time using the HDFC SMS Banking facility?
No, at present only one cheque can be stopped at a time using the SMS banking facility at HDFC.
- What does HDFC charge its customers for the SMS Banking facility?
No, the bank does not levy any charges for this facility.
- How long does the bank to take complete the registration for SMS Banking?
After the application form is filled and submitted, HDFC takes 4 working days to complete the registration process.
GST of 18% is applicable on all banking products and services from July 1, 2017 onwards.
Savings Account Popular Pages
- Savings Account
- Best Zero Balance Savings Account
- Post Office Savings Account
- SBI Savings Account
- HDFC Bank Savings Account
- Axis Bank Savings Account
- ICICI Savings Account
- UBI Savings Account
- Citibank Savings Account
- PNB Savings Account
- Savings Account Interest Rates
- Savings Account vs Current Account
- Zero Balance Savings Account
- Banks with Highest Interest Rates in India
- SBI Balance Enquiry
- Kotak 811