The Indian government has introduced a GST portal. It enables the taxpayers to complete the tax processes online. The platform allows handling everything related to Goods and Services Tax. It saves time and provides technical support so that there is no need for the payer to visit the tax offices.
GST portal is easy to handle. It helps the taxpayers to file their GST returns without professional help.
Table of Contents
What is GST Portal?
GST Portal is an Indian government's official website hosted at https://www.gst.gov.in/. Once you register and complete the login process, you can access your consent GST details. Using this portal, users can register their taxes, file returns, payments, and apply for a refund. The user can also cancel the registration and access various GST-related analyses.
Taxpayers can clarify their doubts on GST using this portal. They also receive important announcements of Government notices. This portal allows the users to respond to such intimations. This portal motivates taxpayers to file taxes on their own. The user is free from professional help.
Services Provided in the GST Portal
|S.NO||Services on the GST Portal|
|1||Accessing various Transition Forms (TRAN-1, TRAN-2, TRAN-3)|
|2||Application for registration for normal taxpayer, casual dealer, ISD|
|3||Facility of filing GST Returns|
|4||Online GST Payments|
|5||Claiming return for the excess GST paid (RFD-01)|
|6||Application for GST practitioner|
|7||Availing Composition Scheme (GST CMP-02)|
|8||Opting out of Composition Scheme (GST CMP-04)|
|9||Intimation of stock for Composition Dealers (GST CMP-03)|
|10||Filing Table 6A of GSTR-1 for Export Refund|
|11||Furnishing Letter of Undertaking (LUT) (RFD-11)|
How to Register on GST Portal?
- Visit the GST official website and then click on ‘GST Practitioners’. Then click on ‘Register Now'.
- Select ‘New Registration’. Provide the relevant details and upload the necessary documents.
- Once you provide all the details, you will receive an One-Time Password (OTP). Enter the OTP, enter the characters given in the image into the box, and then click on proceed.
- After submission of application forms, you will receive an acknowledgment number. The application process ends when you receive a GST number, User ID and password. You can use this detail to log in to the GST gov portal.
If you are a taxpayer, you can register yourself.
Guide on How to Login to the GST Portal?
Step 1: Visit www.gst.gov.in and click Login which is in right corner of GST website homepage.
Step 2: After Logging in, Enter the details such as Username, Password, Captcha code and click on Login.
Step 3: Now you can see your dashboard. you can view options like Notices, GST Payable, and Return filing options.
Step 4: If you are a new user, then click on the ‘Here’ against ‘First Time Login’. Then provide your Provisional ID, User ID, GSTIN, UIN, or GSTP ID, followed by your password and then click on ‘Login’.
How to track registration application status?
- Visit the GST official website.
- Under ‘Services’ select ‘Registration’ and then click on ‘Track Application Status’.
- Select ‘ARN’ and enter the ARN number and click on ‘Search’.
- Follow the instructions to view the status of your registration application.
How to file for cancellation of GST registration in Portal?
- Visit the official website of GST.
- Click on ‘Login’ and then enter your User ID and Password to login.
- Click on ‘Services’. Then click ‘Registration’ and then click on ‘Application for Cancellation of Registration’.
- Provide your address and click on ‘Save and Proceed’.
- Select the reason why you want to cancel your GST registration and then click on ‘Save and Proceed’.
- Check the verification statement and provide the relevant details as required. Verify the details using your Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), or the EVC option.
- Once you submit the form, you will receive the generated ARN number. You can use it for future reference.
Who should register and login for GST?
As per the GST law, the following individuals are required to be registered under the regime of the taxation system:
- Individuals who were registered under the different taxation systems such as VAT, Excise Duty, Service Tax, etc.) before GST.
- All e-commerce aggregators.
- Businesses across India with an annual turnover of more than Rs.40 lakh.
- Businesses in North-Eastern India, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, and Himachal Pradesh with an annual turnover of more than Rs.10 lakh.
- Input service distributors.
- Agents of suppliers.
- Casual taxable person.
- Non-Resident taxable person.
- Individuals who pay tax under the reverse charge mechanism and so on.
Pre Login Details of GST Portal
The home page of the GST online login Portal contains the following sections:
- GST Law
- Search Taxpayer
- e-Way Bill System
For an individual or business whose turnover is above Rs.20 lakh, registration under GST is must. The ‘Services’ section contains the following tabs:
- User Services
- e-way bill system
A taxpayer can apply afresh through the ‘New Registration’ link provided on this page. The taxpayer can track the status of GST Registration. One can also submit an application seeking clarification. Get clarity on GST filing-related issues through the sub-menus given on the page.
The 'Track Application Status' link will redirect the user to a new page. One can can check the GST Registration application with the help of the ARN number.
Click ‘Payments’ sub-menu. The taxpayer can access ‘Challan Creation’ and ‘Track Payment Status’. It will help him/her to create challan and track the status of payment as a part of the online GST payment system.
c) User Services
The ‘User Services’ sub-menu shows several links. The taxpayer can view office addresses, generate user ID for advance ruling. One can also view holiday list, file grievances/complaints, locate GST Practitioner, etc. Click ‘Contact’ and ‘Search Office Addresses’ tabs. Search and find the contact details of various central/state level tax officials. One can also find addresses of local GST offices.
The ‘Track Application Status’ redirects the taxpayer to the page. Here one can also track the status of the refund application, if the filing already exists.
e) E-Way Bill System
The ‘E-way Bill System’ section helps the taxpayer to navigate through the e-way bill portal. The user can also access the user manual and FAQs on the e-way bill portal.
Under the ‘GST Law’’ tab, the Acts and Rules associated with GST are available for download. The taxpayers can access the recent circulars, amendments, and notifications. Get access to anything related to GST under this section on the GST portal.
This section is available on the homepage. It helps the taxpayer to file the GST Returns offline. The required forms for registration are available here. The user can download the ‘Returns offline’ tools and various other offline tools.
Under this tab, one can search for taxpayer's GSTIN or PAN to verify the details of the taxpayer. One can search for a composition taxpayer who has Opted In or Opted out of the scheme. One can access this feature before and after logging into the portal.
Help and Taxpayer facilities
The ‘Help’ section guides the taxpayers through the GST return filing process. It contains several user manuals, how-to guides, FAQs, videos, and system requirements. In case of any doubts on GST registration or GST return filing process, the taxpayers can refer it.
It allows the user to see all the important dates related to GST returns deadlines for the year. One can view the upcoming monthly and quarterly GST return filing due dates. Moreover, if there are any changes in the notified dates, the taxpayer can refer to the updates.
News and Updates
Under this section, the taxpayer receives regular updates on GST. It includes changes in due dates or change in GST processes, etc.
Post Login Details of GST Portal
After the login process, the taxpayer will get access to certain new services on the home page. Here are the sections that one can view on the GST portal’s main page post-login:
The ‘Dashboard’ section appears immediately after a taxpayer logs in to the portal. The user can check all notices and orders, edit the profile, file GST returns on this page. Under this section, the tax challan preparation occurs.
Under Service Tab
Under the ‘Registration’ tab, the portal provides other services like Post Login. One can access,
- New Registration
- Amendment of Registration Core Fields
- Track Application Status
- Application for Filling Clarification
- Amendment of Registration Non- Core Fields
- Application for Cancellation of Registration.
Under the ‘Ledgers’, the user will get four options.
- Electronic Cash Ledger
- Electronic Credit Ledger
- Electronic Liability Register
- Payment towards Demand
This tab under provides the user five different options. One can view the returns dashboard and e-Filed returns. And track the return status, if there is any, and access the Transition Form. The users are also offered access to the ITC Forums under this tab.
The ‘Payments’ section consists of 5 different options. The taxpayers can create challans, view the saved challans. Get access to challan history. File the applications for deferred payment or payment in instalments. He/she can also view the instalment calendar.
V. User Services
Under this tab, the taxpayer can find several useful facilities, such as,
- Checking the saved applications
- Viewing/downloading certificates
- Viewing the holiday list
- Searching for contacts of GST officers and offices
- Filing grievances/complaints, etc.,
‘Refunds’ is the last sub-menu under the post-log in the ‘Services’ section. The user can apply for refunds and check the saved or filled application. One can track the application status if he/she has filed for GST returns. The user can also track the status of invoice data to share it with ICEGATE.
The GST India login official portal is well-organised. It helps taxpayers pay their taxes without any hassles. This portal provides FAQs where one can visit and find the queries as asked by other taxpayers.
FAQs on GST Login Portal
- Can I login the GST portal using TRN?
- How to download GST certificate without login?
- How to change user name in GST login?
- What are the various services available on the GST portal?
- Can I reset my password after GST registration?
- What should I do if my GST account gets locked?
Yes, you can log in to your GST portal using your Temporary Reference Number or TRN.
You cannot download your GST certificate without logging in. One has to log in to the GST portal to be able to access and download the GST certificate.
You can log in to your GST portal using your credentials and navigate to the ‘Service’ section. Under the ‘Service’ section, click on the ‘Amendment of Registration’ option and make the necessary changes. Once the changes are made, you will be required to validate the same using the OTP sent on your registered mobile phone number and email ID.
There are 5 different services which can be availed on the GST portal. These 5 services are Registration, User Services, Payments, e-Way Bill System and refunds.
Yes, you can reset your password after the registering on the GST portal. You will be required to follow the same method which is used for changing the user name.
If your GST account gets locked, you can reset the password and follow the instructions provided on the screen. Once the password has been reset, you can use the new password to gain access to your GST portal.