The process to electronically file Income Tax Returns (ITR) by using the internet is called e-filing. The process to e-file ITR is quick, easy, and can be completed from the comfort of an individual’s home or office. E-filing ITR can also help in saving money as you would not have to hire an individual to file ITR.
A step by step guide on how to file ITR Online
Step 1: Visit the e-filing website https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
On the e-filing homepage you fill find several options to choose from. You must choose the relevant option.
Step 2: Register or Login to e-file your returns
In case you have registered yourself on the portal, select ‘Login Here’.
In case you have not registered yourself on the portal, select ‘Register Yourself’.
Step 3: Select the User Type
In order to register yourself with the Income Tax Department, you will have to first choose your ‘User Type’. The options available to you include Individual, Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), Other than Individual/HUF, External Agency, Chartered Accountants, Tax Dedcutor and Collector, and Third Party Software Utility Developer.
Next, you will have to enter your current address and your permanent address before entering the Captcha code and hitting ‘Submit’.
Step 4: Basic details must be filled up
You will then have to fill in your personal information such as your name, your PAN and your date of birth. You can then use PAN as your user ID whenever you log in to the e-filing portal. You will also have to enter your contact details such as your mobile number and email ID.
Step 5: Verification of PAN
Your PAN will then be verified by the system and your transaction ID as well as contact details will be displayed on the screen.
Step 6: Activation of Account
Lastly, you will have to activate your Income Tax Department account through the link sent to your email ID
Didn't File Your Income Tax Returns? Here’s What You Can Do
In case you do not file your income tax returns, you will have to submit a response on the e-filing portal. Here are the steps to do it:
- Log in to the e-filing website (https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in).
- Click on the ‘Compliance’ tab and you will get two options, viz. ‘View and submit my compliance’ and ‘View my submission’. The first option will display the information for the assessment years when the return was not filed as per the records of the Income Tax Department or if the department needs third party details.
- You can then select one of the options on-screen, viz. ‘the return has been filed’, or ‘the return has not been filed’.
- If you select ‘the return has not been filed’, you will get the following options, viz. ‘return under preparation’, ‘no taxable income’, ‘business has been closed’, and ‘others’. Choose the relevant option and click on ‘Submit’.
A step by step guide on how to file ITR offline
Super senior citizens (individuals who are 80 years old and above) are given the option to file ITR offline during the financial year. Another instance where the ITR can be filed offline is if an individual or HUF has an income of less than Rs.5 lakh and are not entitled to receive a refund.The step-by-step procedure to file returns offline is mentioned below:
- Individuals must request for a Form 16.
- Next, you will need to submit the ITR returns in the paper form at the Income Tax Department.
- Once the form has been submitted, you will receive an acknowledgement slip from the Income Tax Department.