Bangalore has attracted plenty of people from across India. Most people move to the Silicon Valley for work and end up purchasing their own homes. The BBMP charges property tax to those who purchase real estate in the city.
Property tax is charged by the State Government via a local body. Property owners are expected to pay tax on real estate even if it remains vacant. The tax is used to fund the maintenance of public parks, drainages, roads and other infrastructure in the state.
In case you own a property in Bangalore, you will have to pay property tax to the local body of the city, viz. Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP). Property tax must be paid on an annual basis and the Unit Area Volume (UAV) system is used by BBMP to calculate property tax. The location of the property along with the nature of its usage and the anticipated returns from it will determine its UAV.
BBMP Property Tax Payment
BBMP property tax payment must be done every year. The tax period commences in April and ends in March of the following year. For instance, if you have property tax due for FY 2018-19, you must ensure that it is paid by 30 April 2020.
How to Pay BBMP Property Tax Online?
Here is a simple step-by-step guide to pay BBMP Property Tax Online:
- Visit the BBMP property tax portal (https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/)
- Enter the Property Identification Numberor SAS Application Number and hit ‘fetch’. Doing so display all the information regarding the property owner.
- Hit ‘proceed’ in case the details displayed on the screen are correct and require no changes. Doing so will redirect you to fill Form IV.
- In case any changes need to be made to the property, like property usage, occupancy or built up area, click on the box on the screen and hit ‘proceed’. Doing so will take you to fill Form 5.
- Make sure that the information that has been pre-filled is accurate. You can then proceed to make the tax payment which can be done either in instalments or in full either through a challan or online.
- In case you select the online payment option, you will be redirected to the payment page where you will have to select the mode of payment, viz. debit/credit card or net banking. After you have successfully made the payment, the system will generate a receipt number which can be viewed, printed or downloaded after 24 hours.
Calculation of BBMP Property Tax
Property tax may be computed through three ways, viz. the Annual Rental Value System, the Capital Value System, or the Unit Area System.
- Annual Rental Value System: Under the Annual Rental Value system, BBMP fixes the gross yearly rent of a property and levies tax based on the anticipated value. Hyderabad and Chennai follow this system.
- Capital Value System: Under the Capital Value System, the property’s market value is used to forecast the tax applicable to the property. The area’s stamp duty department usually fixes the market value of properties in this system.
- Unit Area System: Under the Unit Area System, property tax is charged on the property’s per unit price of carpet area. Bangalore, New Delhi and other cities follow the Unit Area System, and the property’s value will have to be multiplied by its carpet area to determine the tax applicable to it.
BBMP Property Tax Forms
There are six from to choose to Pay BBMP property tax. They are as follows:
|BBMP Property Tax Forms||Description|
|Form I||Must be used when the owner of the property has the Property Identification Number (PID), which is a distinctive ID assigned to every property. It contains important details regarding the street, ward as well as the plot on which the property rests.|
|Form II||Must be used when the property owner does not have the Property Identification Number but has a khatha number instead. This number is basically the number of a khatha certificate which is issued for every property. The certificate has all the information regarding the property.|
|Form III||Must be used when the owner has neither the Property Identification Number nor the khatha number.|
|Form IV||It is a white form that must be used in case there are no changes or alterations in the property details.|
|Form V||It is a blue form and it must be used in case there are changes or alterations made to the property. For instance, if a new floor has been added to the house, or the property has been demolished and changed to ‘non-residential’ from ‘residential’.|
|Form VI||Must be used when the property under assessment is exempt from property tax.|
Due Date & Rebate for BBMP Property Tax
In case you pay your property tax in a single instalment before the due date prescribed by the BBMP, you will be eligible for a rebate of 5%. On the other hand, delaying your property tax payment will see an interest rate of 2% charged to you per month. You can also pay your property tax in two instalments if you wish to avoid interest, but doing so will not qualify you for a rebate. you must ensure that it is paid by 30 April 2020.
What Kind of Properties Attract Property Tax in Bangalore?
Property tax in Bangalore is charged on the following properties:
- Residential houses, whether they are occupied by the owner or let out to rent
- Factory buildings
- Office buildings
Based on the publication of the Department of Stamps and Registration’s guidance value, BBMP’s jurisdiction is segregated into 6 value zones. The rate at which property tax is levied will vary based on the zone in which the property is located. Here are the different zones in Bengaluru along with the sub-divisions, ward numbers and names.
|Zone||Sub–Division||Ward Number and Name|
|West||Chickpet||109 – Chikpet 120 – Cottonpet 121 – Binnypet|
|West||Gandhinagar||77 – Dattathreya Temple 94 – Gandhinagar 95 – Subhashnagar 96 – Okalipuram|
|West||Jagajeevanram Nagar||135 – Padarayanapura 136 – Jagareevanram Nagar 137 – Rayapuram 138 – Chalavadipalya|
|West||Chamarajpet||139 – K.R. Market 140 – Chamrajpet 141 – Azadnagar|
|West||Govindrajanagar||103 – Kaveripura 104 – Govindrajnagara 105 – Agrahara Dasarahalli 106 – Dr. Rajkumar Ward 125 – Marenahalli|
|West||Chandralayout||126 – Maruthi Mandira Ward 127 – Moodalapalya 128 – Nagarabhavi 131 – Nayandanahalli|
|West||Rajajinagar||99 – Rajajinagar 100 – Basaveshwaranagar 101 – Kamakshipalya 107 – Shivanagar|
|West||Srirammandira||97 – Dayanandanagar 98 – Prakashnagar 108 – Srirammandira ward|
|West||Mathikere||35 – Aramane Nagar 36 – Mathikere 45 – Malleshwaram|
|West||Malleshwaram||64 – Rajamahal 65 – Kadumalleshwara 66 – Subramanyanagar 76 – Gayathrinagar|
|West||Nagapura||67 – Nagapura 75 – Shankaramata 102 – Vrushabhavathinagar|
|West||Mahalakshmi Layout||43 – Nandini Layout 44 – Marappanahalli 68 – Mahalakshmipuram 74 – Shakthiganapathi nagar|
|South||Kempegowda Nagar||118 – Sudamnagar 119 – Dharmarayaswamy Temple Road 142 – Sunkenahalli 143 – Vishweshrapuram|
|South||Hombegowda Nagar||144 – Siddapura 145 – Hombegowdanagar 153 – Jayanagar|
|South||Vijayanagar||122 – Kempapura Agrahara 123 – Vijaynagar 124 – Hosahalli 134 – Bapujinagar|
|South||Gali Anjaneyaswamy Temple||132 – Attiguppe 133 – Hampinagar 157 – Gali Anjaneya swamy Temple Ward 158 – Deepanjali Nagar|
|South||Basavanagudi||154 – Basavanagudi 155 – Hanumanthanagar 164 – Vidyapeetha Ward|
|South||Girinagar||156 – Srinagar 162 – Girinagar 163 – Katriguppe|
|South||Padmanabha Nagar||161 – Hosakerehalli 181 – Kumaraswamylayout 182 – Padmanabhanagar 183 – Chikkallasandra|
|South||Banashankari||165 – Ganeshmandira Ward 166 – Karisandra 167 – Yadiyuru 180 – Banashankari Temple Ward|
|South||B.T.M. Layout||146 – Lakkasandra 152 – Sudduguntepalya 172 – Madiwala 176 – BTM Layout|
|South||Koramangala||147 – Adugodi 148 – Ejipura 151 – Koramangala 173 – Jakkasandra|
|South||Jayanagar||168 – Pattabhiramnagar 169 – Byrasandra 170 – Jayanagar East 171 – Gurappanapalya|
|South||J.P.Nagar||177 – J.P.Nagar 178 – Sarakki 179 – Shakambarinagar|
|East||Hebbal||18 – Radhakrishna Temple Ward 19 – Sanjaynagar 20 – Ganganagar 21 – Hebbal|
|East||J.C. Nagar||22 – Vishwanatha Nagenahalli 33 – Manorayanapalya 34 – Gangenahalli 46 – Jayachamarajendra Nagar|
|East||K.G. Halli||31 – Kushalnagar 32 – Kavalbyrasandra 48 – Muneshwaranagar 60 – Sagayapuram|
|East||Pulikeshinagar||47 – Devarajeevanahalli 61 – S.K. Garden 78 – Pulikeshinagar|
|East||Maruthisevanagar||27 – Banasawadi 28 – Kammanahalli 49 – Lingarajapura 59 – Maruthiseva Nagar|
|East||H.B.R. Layout||23 – Nagavara 24 – HBR Layout 29 – Kacharakanahalli 30 – Kadugondanahalli|
|East||Jeevanbhimanagar||80 – Hoysalanagar 88 – Jeevanbhimanagar 113 – Konena Agrahara|
|East||C.V. Ramannagar||50 – Benniganahalli 57 – C.V. Ramannagar 58 – Hosathippasandra 79 – Sarvagnanagar|
|East||Shanthinagar||111 – Shanthala Nagar 116 – Neelasandra 117 – Shanthinagar|
|East||Domlur||89 – Jogupalya 112 – Domlur 114 – Agaram 115 – Vannarpet|
|East||Shivajinagar||90 – Ulsoor 91 – Bharathinagar 92 – Shivajinagar|
|East||Vasanthanagar||62 – Ramaswamy palya 63 – Jayamahal 93 – Vasanthnagar 110 – Sampangiramnagar|
|Yelahanka||Yelahanka||1 – Kempegowda Ward 2–Chowdeshwari Ward|
|Yelahanka||Yelahanka Satellite Town||3 – Attur 4 – Yelahanka Satellite town|
|Yelahanka||Byatarayanapura||5 – Jakkur 6 – Thanisandra|
|Yelahanka||Kodigehalli||7 – Byatarayanapura 8 – Kodigehalli|
|Yelahanka||Vidyaranyapura||9 – Vidyaranyapura 10 – Doddabommasandra 11 – Kuvempunagar|
|Mahadevapura||Horamavu||25 – Horamavu 26 – Ramamurthynagar 51 – Vijinapura|
|Mahadevapura||K.R.Puram||52 – K.R.Puram 53 – Basavanapura 55 – Devasandra|
|Mahadevapura||HAL Airport||56 – A. Narayanapura 81 – Vignananagar 87 – HAL Airport|
|Mahadevapura||Hoodi||54 – Hoodi 82 – Garudacharpalya 85 – Doddanekkundi|
|Mahadevapura||Whitefield||83 – Kadugodi 84 – Hagadooru 149 – Varthur|
|Mahadevapura||Marathalli||86 – Marathalli 150 – Bellandur|
|Bommanahalli||Bommanahalli||175 – Bommanahalli 188 – Bilekahalli 189 – Hongasandra|
|Bommanahalli||Arakere||186 – Jaraganahalli 187 – Puttenahalli 193 – Arakere|
|Bommanahalli||HSR Layout||174 – HSR Layout 190 – Mangammanapalya|
|Bommanahalli||Begur||191 – Singasandra 192 – Begur|
|Bommanahalli||Anjanapura||194 – Gottigere 196 – Anjanapura|
|Bommanahalli||Yelachenahalli||195 – Konanakunte 185 – Yelachenahalli|
|Bommanahalli||Uttarahalli||184 – Uttarahalli 197 –Vasanthapura|
|Rajarajeshwari Nagar||Rajarajeshwari Nagar||160 – Rajarajeshwarinagar 129 – Jnanabharathi ward|
|Rajarajeshwari Nagar||Laggere||69 – Laggere 73 – Kottigepalya|
|Rajarajeshwari Nagar||Lakshmidevinagar||38 – H.M.T 42 – Lakshmidevinagar|
|Rajarajeshwari Nagar||Yeshwanthpur||16 – Jalahalli 17 – J.P.Park 37 – Yeshwanthpur|
|Rajarajeshwari Nagar||Kengeri||130 – Ullalu 159 – Kengeri 198 – Hemmigepura|
|Rajarajeshwari Nagar||Herohalli||40 – Doddabidarakallu 72 – Herohalli|
|Dasarahalli||T–Dasarahalli||14 – Bagalagunte 15 – T. Dasarahalli|
|Dasarahalli||Shettyhalli||12 – Shettyhalli 13 – Mallasandra|
|Dasarahalli||Hegganahalli||70 – Rajagopalanagar 71 – Hegganahalli|
|Dasarahalli||Peenya Industrial Area||39– Chokkasandra 41– Peenya Industrial Area|
BBMP Property Tax FAQs
- How do I pay my BBMP property tax online?
To pay BBMP property tax online you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/
- Enter the Base application number.
- Click on ‘Retrieve’.
- Once you do that, the owner’s name of the property is displayed on the screen.
- Click on ‘Confirm’.
- Check the details thoroughly and go ahead to make the payment.
- Select the option through which the payment is to be made.
- Once the payment is made, a receipt number will be generated.
- It can be downloaded from the portal within 24 hours.
You can get it by following the steps listed below:
- Visit https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/
- Click on ‘downloads’ and select ‘receipt printout’.
- Next, select the assessment year and enter application number.
- Click on ‘Submit’.
- On doing the property tax receipt will be downloaded in pdf format.
The different types of forms issued by Sales Tax authorities are:
The formula used for computation of BBMP property tax is (G-I)*20% + Cess (24% of property tax). In this, G is Gross Unit area value arrived by X+Y+Z and I is G*H/100.
X is tenanted area of property x per sq ft rate of property x 10.
Y is self-occupied area x per sq ft rate of property x 10.
H is percentage of depreciation rate, which depends upon the age of property.
In Bangalore, the property tax rate differs depending on the category. For residential properties, the present zonal classification under unit area value method is divided into six zones i.e., A to F. The rates are mentioned below:
|Zones||Tenanted (per sq ft)||Self-occupied (per sq ft)|
The due date is 30 April 2020 for payment of BBMP property tax. Making the payment before the due date will make you eligible for a rebate of 5%. For delayed payments, an interest of 2% will be charged every month.
Property Tax Other Pages
- Property Tax
- B Khata Property Tax
- Ahmedabad Muncipal Corporation Property Tax
- A Khata Property Tax
- A Khata & B Khata Property Tax
- Step by Step Guide for paying Property Tax
- Property Tax Mumbai
- Property Tax Pune
- MCD Property Tax
- Property Tax Chennai
- GHMC Property Tax
- Calculate Income From House Property
- Tds On Immovable Property
- How to Calculate Capital Gains On Property Sale
- Ghaziabad House Property Tax