Many municipal corporations in the country permit taxpayers to make their payments online. Details such as property dimensions, value, and built-up area are all assessed before the final payment is made.
Owning property may be a very lucrative perspective but it must also be maintained and one of the things that need to be done to maintain it is paying property taxes. When someone sits down for the first time with a property tax form, they can make the head spin. What is needed is a guide to you started on your property tax payments. What you will need to do is to first figure out if certain basic details about your property. Once you have collected those details, the process of paying the property tax becomes simple.
Ways to pay Property Tax
There are two ways to pay property tax. The first is the good old-fashioned method of filling up the forms and paying it by submitting the forms with a cheque or demand draft for the amount due. The other method is to pay it online. This method allows for payments to be made through NEFT transfers from banks like ICICI or using credit and debit cards.
Things you need to know about Paying Property Tax Online
Before you get down to calculating how much tax you have to pay, you will need to know a few details about your property. These details relate to the classification of your property, its location and its dimensions.
So some of the details you need to collect will be:
- The annual value of the property
- Classification of the property (residential, non-residential, vacant lot, billboard, shop, etc.)
- Zonal Classification
- Dimension of the property
- Built up area
- Number of floors (this will include basements too)
- Built up area of each floor
- Electricity bills
- Exemptions (certain types of properties, such as care centers for stray animals)
How to Pay Property Tax Online for your Municipal corporation?
You will be able to pay property tax online only if your municipal corporation has made the facility available. To be able to pay tax online you will need to gather the details of your property concerning the location of the property. Once you have the details you can go to the portal and enter the relevant information and proceed with the payment.
If your property is in Andhra Pradesh then you need to:
- Go to the site of the municipal corporation.
- Go to the page that allows you to pay property tax online.
- On that page enter assessment codes and area details as needed.
- You may also be asked to enter details such as owner number, old assessment number, and door number.
Once all the details have been entered you will be shown the details of the tax due on your property and you can proceed to make the payment via credit cards, debit cards, or net banking. If you do intend to use net banking then you should remember that only net banking provided by authorized banks will work for property tax payments.
How to Pay Property Tax Offline for certain Municipal corporation?
To pay the property tax via the old fashioned way you will need to calculate the amount that is due and fill up the appropriate forms. Once the forms are filled you will need to make the payment at the bank designated by the municipal corporation or at special cells set up by the government to collect the tax.
If your property is in Bangalore then you will need to:
- Fill out forms IV or V depending on the fact that your property has undergone a change (form V) or not (form IV).
- You will also have to fill out forms I, II and III.
- Form I if you have a PID for your property
- Form II for properties with only Khata No.
- Form III for properties that don't have either.
- Once the forms are filled, they can be taken to the BBMP ARO centers or the Bangalore 1 office and pay the tax through demand drafts or cards.