- Visit the portal of the income tax department (http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) and login using your User ID, password, and enter the captcha displayed.
- If you are a new user, you can register using the ‘Register Yourself’ button.
- Once you login, you will find the ‘e-file’ section under which you will need to select ‘Income Tax Return.’ Please note that you can fill only ITRs 1 and ITRs 4S online.
- Choose the assessment year, Income Tax Return Form ITR 4S/ITR 1 and ‘Prepare and Submit ITR Online’.
- Check the bank details and Hit the "Continue" button.
- If you have a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), upload it. Make sure that your DSC is registered with e-filing.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ tab.
- If you have not used a DSC, your ITR-V will be displayed to you on successful submission. You can then download the ITR-V from the link displayed, sign it, and submit it to the CPC before 120 days from the e-filing date.
- If you have uploaded your DSC, then your ITL filing process is complete.
Steps to Follow Filing ITR Online
Due Date for Efiling
Income Tax Returns (ITR) are required to be filed before the deadline that is marked by the Income Tax Department (ITD). The due dates for filing of ITR for different categories of taxpayers for the financial year 2018-19 are listed in the table below. The following dates will be applicable for the income earned by a taxpayer between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019.
|Category of Taxpayer||Deadline for filing tax returns|
|Individual||31st July, 2019|
|Body of Individuals (BOI)||31st July, 2019|
|Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)||31st July, 2019|
|Association of Persons (AOP)||31st July 2019|
|Businesses (Requiring Audit)||30th September 2019|
|Businesses (Requiring TP Report)||30th November 2019|
New Rules for ITR Filing
The new income tax rules implemented by Nirmala Sitharaman in the 2019 Union Budget require taxpayers to link their Aadhaar to their PAN. In the announcement, the Finance Minister said that income tax returns can be filed using your Aadhaar Card or PAN Card. However, you can only do so until the 30th of September 2019 as it is the deadline to link your Aadhaar to your PAN.
Consequences of Filing ITR with Only Aadhaar
In case you do not have a Permanent Account Number, you can file your income tax return using Aadhaar. Furthermore, your Aadhaar Card is mandatory when applying for a new PAN. Under the new income tax rules, taxpayers who file their returns using their Aadhaar card will be allotted PAN after their demographic data has been obtained from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
What happens if your Aadhaar and PAN are not linked?
The Central Board of Direct Taxes issued a notification on 31 March 2019 according to which taxpayers were urged to link their Aadhaar with their PAN before 30 September 2019. Failure to link your PAN with Aadhaar will prevent you from filing your income tax returns after the specified deadline.
The Government of India has introduced the new rule in order to enhance tax compliance while easing the tax payment process for taxpayers. As of now, it is compulsory for taxpayers to quote their PAN when filing their returns. Going forward, however, it will be compulsory to link your Aadhaar and PAN to file your returns.
Who Should file ITR?
Under the conditions given below, it is mandatory for individuals to file ITR:
- Any firm or company must file ITR even if they make a profit or undergo a loss.
- In case individuals wish to apply for a loan or a visa.
- In case individuals invest in foreign assets or earn from foreign assets.
- In case individuals wish to claim a refund from the Income Tax Department.
- In case individuals earn an income from house property, etc.
- If the gross annual income of the individual exceeds the details mentioned in the table below:
|Age of the individuals||Gross annual income (Rs.)|
|Individuals who are below 60 years old||2.5 lakh|
|Individuals above the age of 60 years but below the age of 80 years||3.0 lakh|
|Individuals who are above the age of 80 years||5.0 lakh|
Documents required for ITR filing
In case individuals wish to file ITR online, the below-mentioned documents will be required:
- The Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the individual.
- The Aadhaar number of the individual. The Aadhaar number must be linked with the PAN.
- The bank account details (bank account number, IFSC code, and bank branch) of the individual.
In case individuals file their ITR based on their salary, the below-mentioned documents are needed:
- Form 16
- In case HRA (House Rent Allowance) is being claimed, the rent slips must be given.
- Salary Slips
In case individuals wish to claim deductions, the below-mentioned documents are required:
- Proof of income such as capital gains income and house property income.
- Any details about investments that are liable for deductions.
- Details of home loans and insurance
- Deposit account and savings account interest certificates.
Benefits of efiling Income Tax Returns
The main benefits of efiling Income Tax Returns are mentioned below:
- Tracking the status: Individuals who efile the ITR can easily check the status online. Earlier, it was time-consuming to check the status and the status would only be sent by post. However, efiling ITR enables the individual to check the progress of the application with ease.
- Processing of refund: In case individuals efile their ITR, the process to receive the refund is easy and is much quicker. Earlier, the refund process was not very convenient and was very time-consuming. However, individuals can update the bank details online and receive the refund much quicker.
- Reduction of errors: Due to the number of calculations that must be made when computing ITR, it is common that errors are made. However, when efiling ITR, there is a mechanism where the computation of ITR is done by the system, therefore reducing the number of errors.
- E-Verification: The verification of ITR can be done online if individuals efile their ITR. Earlier, the ITR would have to be sent to the CPC in Bengaluru.
- Convenient: The process of efiling ITR is very convenient, easy, and the process takes very less time. Earlier, the process to file ITR was very tedious as individuals had to visit the Income Tax Department. However, the process to efile ITR can be done from the comforts of an individual’s home.
- Access to documents: In case individuals efile the ITR, they will have to upload the necessary documents online. Therefore, individuals will be able to view the documents at any given time. The manual process of efiling ITR does not provide such benefits.
- Compilation of records: Earlier, individuals were required to fill many forms in case they wanted to file the ITR. The process to fill the forms was very complex as well. However, efiling ITR removes the complexity of the process as all the data is auto-populated during the initial process and the ensuing steps become very simple.
- Cost-efficient: In case individuals wish to file their returns manually, they might have to hire a professional to compute their returns. This could cost money in case they wish to hire a professional. However, individuals could do away with these expenses in case they efile their ITR as the computation can be done online.
- Receipt of proof: Individuals who efile their ITR will receive a receipt at the time of filing returns and once returns have been filed as well. The receipt will be sent via email.
- Electronic banking: The process to make payments and refunds is simple. It can be done via direct debit for the payment of tax and direct deposit for the receiving of refund. There are options available where investors can file their returns now and make the payment at a later date as well. Taxpayers can choose the day when they would like the payment to be made.