It has become a mandatory process to link your PAN with Aadhaar. This is an important process because this will allow your income tax returns to be processed. Linking of your PAN with Aadhaar is also required if you are carrying out banking transactions for amount of Rs.50,000 and above.
The process to get your PAN linked with Aadhaar is very simple. We will have a look at some of the steps you can follow to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
PAN-Aadhaar Linking Deadline
Deadline for Linking PAN Card and Aadhaar Card is 31 March 2021
The government has extended the deadline to link Aadhaar with the PAN. The new deadline is 31 March 2021. Earlier, the deadline to link the Aadhaar and PAN was 30 June 2020.
About Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
- Linking PAN with Aadhaar Through e-filing Website
- Linking PAN with Aadhaar by Sending an SMS
- Importance of Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
- PAN Aadhar Link by Filling up the form
- You Failed to link your PAN with Aadhaar. What to do
- Check the Status of Aadhar Card Link with PAN Number
- Benefits of Linking your PAN with Aadhaar
- If you are Unable to Link your PAN to Aadhaar
- Procedure to Make Corrections in Aadhaar Card
- Link Aadhaar and PAN in case of Name Mismatch
- FAQs on Linking Aadhaar with PAN
Ways to Linking PAN with Aadhaar
There are two ways through which you can link PAN and Aadhaar. These are:
1. Through the Income Tax e-filing website
2. Sending an SMS to 567678 or 56161
1. Linking PAN with Aadhaar Online ( Through the e-filing Website)
Step 1: Visit Income Tax Site
Step 2: Provide the PAN, Aadhaar number, and name as mentioned in the Aadhaar card
Step 3: Tick the square if only the birth year in mentioned in the Aadhaar card
Step 4: Enter the Captcha code. (Visually challenged users can request for an OTP instead of the captcha code. The OTP will be sent on the registered mobile number)
Step 5: Click on the 'Link Aadhaar' button.
2. Linking PAN with Aadhaar by Sending an SMS
To link PAN with Aadhaar by sending an SMS. You need to follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Type UIDPAN<12-digit Aadhaar><10-digit PAN> on your mobile
Step 2: Send it to 567678 or 56161
|SMS ‘UIDPAN Aadhaar-number PAN-number to 567678|
Importance of Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Both the PAN card as well as the Aadhaar card are unique identification cards that serve as proof of identity that are necessary for registration and verification purposes.
The government has urged all entities to link their PAN cards with their Aadhaar cards. This is being done for the following purposes:
- Prevent Tax Evasion:
- Multiple PAN Cards:
By linking the Aadhaar and PAN cards, the government will be able to keep tabs on the taxable transactions of a particular individual or entity, whose identity and address will be verified by his Aadhaar card. This will effectively mean that every taxable transaction or activity will be recorded by the government.
As a result, the government will already have a detailed record of all the financial transactions that would attract tax for each entity, making tax evasion a thing of the past.
Another reason for linking PAN with Aadhaar is to reduce the occurrence of individuals or entities applying for multiple PAN cards in an effort to defraud the government and avoid paying taxes.
By applying for more than one PAN card, an entity can use one of the cards for a certain set of financial transactions and pay taxes applicable for those. Meanwhile, the other PAN card can be used for accounts or transactions that the entity wishes to conceal from the Income Tax department, thereby avoiding paying tax on them.
By linking the PAN and Aadhaar card, the government will be able to link the identity of an entity through his/her Aadhaar card, and subsequently have details of all financial transactions made through the linked PAN card. If there are multiple PAN cards registered under the same name, the government will be able to identify the same and take corrective action.
PAN Aadhar Link by Filling up the form
You can also link your PAN with your Aadhaar manually by visiting NSDL which is the PAN Service Provider and fill the form to link your PAN with Aadhaar. You will have to submit the necessary documents along with the form to successfully complete the process.
Know More about Linking Pan Card
You Failed to Link your PAN with Aadhaar. What to do?
In case you failed to link your PAN with Aadhaar, you will have to submit a signed Aadhaar seeding form by visiting the nearest PAN Centre. You must note that along with the Aadhaar seeding form you must carry all the relevant documents such as PAN and Aadhaar.
However, the physical seeding of Aadhaar with your PAN is a chargeable service.
How to Check the Status of Aadhar Card Link with PAN Number?
Given below are the steps you will have to follow to check the status of linking of Aadhaar Card with PAN:
Step 1: Visit the Income Tax Department’s official website and go to Aadhaar Status or click on the link incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/aadhaarstatus.
Step 2: Enter your Aadhaar and PAN number.
Step 3: Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’.
You can check the status of linking of Aadhaar with PAN via the SMS facility as well. You will have to send an SMS to 567678 or 56161 in format given below:
UIDPAN < 12-digit Aadhaar number> < 10-digit Permanent Account Number>
If your Aadhaar has been successfully linked with PAN then you will be able to see the message ‘Aadhaar (Aadhaar number) is already associated with PAN..in ITD database. Thank you for using our services’.
Benefits of Linking your PAN with Aadhaar
Some of the benefits of linking your PAN with Aadhaar are:
- It removes the possibility of an individual having more than one PAN Card.
- Linking of Aadhaar with PAN allows the Income Tax Department to meticulously detect any form of tax evasion.
- The process of filing income returns become considerably easy as the individual is not required to provide any proof of him or her having filed their income tax returns.
- Linking of your Aadhaar with PAN will prevent the latter from getting cancelled.
- The linking of PAN with Aadhaar will help in having a summarised detail of one’s taxes attached to Aadhaar for future reference.
If you are Unable to Link your PAN to Aadhaar
In some cases, you may not be able to link your PAN to the Aadhaar. Most of the time, the reason for the rejection would be the mismatch of information present in your PAN and Aadhaar. However, once the corrections have been made, you will able to link the PAN and Aadhaar.
Procedure to Make Corrections to you PAN Card
It is important that the details present in the PAN Card are correct. In case the details are wrong, you will not be able to use it as a valid identity proof. The step-by-step procedure to make corrections on your PAN Card is mentioned below:
Step 1: Visit NSDL website at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/downloads/pan/downloads-pan.html
Step 2: Download the form 49AA
Step 3: Fill all the details accurately.
Step 4: You will be asked supporting documents for all the information you mention such as age proof, address proof, and proof of identity. The form will have a list of documents that are accepted and instructions to fill the form. Please read them carefully.
Step 5: Affix your recent passport size photograph
Step 6: Once you have filled all the information, please tick box on the left margin of the appropriate row that requires correction
Step 7: Send the application by post to The INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT (Managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited), 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411 016.
Procedure to Make Corrections in Aadhaar Card
In certain cases, the details mentioned on your Aadhaar Card may be wrong. It is vital that these details are corrected immediately. The process to make the corrections on the Aadhaar Card is simple and can be completed both online and offline.
- Online Method
- Visit the official UIDAI website at https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number followed by a captcha code to login to your account
- Choose the option that says “OTP.” A One Time Password (OTP) is then sent to the registered number
- Enter the OTP and click the submit button
- Select the fields in your Aadhaar Card that needs to be updated
- Keep a scanned copy of the supporting documents ready as it has to be uploaded
- Once the above step completes, an URN (Update Request Number) is generated. This is required for the further process
- Once the Aadhaar is updated with the new information, a printout can be taken
- Download the Correction Form from the UIDAI website
- Navigate to Resources> Enrolment Docs > Download Forms
- Download the Aadhaar Correction Form
- Fill the required details that have to be updated
- You will have to attach necessary supporting documents to whatever changes has to be made
- The updated form along with the attached documents have to be sent to this address: UIDAI, Post Box No - 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad - 500034, India.
Process to Link Aadhaar Card and PAN Card in case of Name Mismatch
It is important that the name mentioned on the Aadhaar Card and PAN Card is the same. In case of any mismatch, the below-mentioned procedure can be used to link the PAN Card and Aadhaar Card:
Complete name mismatch between Aadhaar & PAN
If the name is completely different in the Aadhaar Card when compared to the PAN Card, the correction will have to be made on the PAN database or Aadhaar database.
Partial name mismatch between Aadhaar & PAN
If there is some minor mismatch in case of your name in your Aadhaar card and PAN card, the same can be resolved in the following way:
- If the name mismatch is minor, a One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to the user who has registered the same with Aadhaar
- The OTP can thus be used for the verification purpose in case of a name mismatch
- However, it is a must for taxpayers to make sure that the date of birth and gender details are the same
Correction Facility for Linking PAN with Aadhaar is Launched by the Income Tax Department
The IT department has started the online facility for correction of errors in names and other information present on the Aadhaar document and Permanent Account Number (PAN) card. The Income Tax department already launched the facility to link the PAN Card with Aadhaar. Now it has also added two hyperlinks on the official website for e-filing of tax. One link takes to the application page for Permanent Account number by an Indian national or a foreigner and the other link takes you to the page where you can update all the necessary changes. In order to update all the Aadhaar details, an individual can easily log on to the Aadhaar SSUP (Self Service Update Portal). He/she can also upload all the scanned documents that are needed as data update request proof.
Get More Information About Pan Card:
Finance Minister Proposes to Allow Aadhaar Card for Filing of Taxes, PAN Card not Compulsory
During the Union Budget 2019, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has made a proposal to allow the acceptance of Aadhaar card to file taxes for the tax payers in the India.
Previously, only the PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department was accepted to pay taxes. However, the minister pointed out that more than 120 crore Indians have Aadhaar card.
With this, she has proposed that Aadhaar card and PAN card be interchangeable to file for taxes for the citizens who do not have a PAN card.
The process for filing tax returns is said to be the same with the only change of adding the Aadhaar number instead of the PAN whenever required.
PAN and Aadhaar New Rules That You Need to Know
The 2019 Union Budget has brought about a lot of changes with respect to PAN and Aadhaar usage. Here are some of the new rules proposed by Finance Minister, Smt Nirmala Sitharaman:
- Use of Aadhaar for transactions above Rs.50,000: Earlier, transactions greater than Rs.50,000 required the sender to quote their PAN number. Now, however, you can quote your Aadhaar number instead. Banks and all other institutions will upgrade their systems to accept Aadhaar details for transactions that previously required PAN details.
- Cash withdrawal and deposit: Your Aadhaar details can now be used to withdraw or deposit amounts greater than Rs.50,000.
- Aadhaar-PAN link: Those who file their IT returns using their Aadhaar card will be allocated a new PAN by the tax authorities.
- ITR filing with Aadhaar: Your income Tax returns can now be filed with your Aadhaar even if you do not have a PAN card.
- PAN will not be terminated if it Is not linked with Aadhaar: Since people now have the option of using either their PAN details or their Aadhaar details, their PAN cards will not be terminated if it isn’t linked to their Aadhaar.
There are a few cases where these details cannot be interchangeable used though. This includes cash transactions made at hotels or for foreign travel bills (transactions need to be over Rs.50,000). Moreover, you will require PAN card details if you wish to purchase immovable property whose worth is greater than Rs.10 lakh.
FAQs for Linking Aadhaar with PAN
If I don’t fall into the taxable bracket, do I still have to get an Aadhaar card or have it linked to my PAN?
Yes, it is advisable that you apply for an Aadhaar card and have it linked with your PAN. Aadhar is now necessary to avail most government benefits and so it is advisable to apply for it and also get it linked with PAN to ensure that your PAN is valid.
Do NRIs residing in India have to link their PAN as well?
The requirement to quote Aadhaar for filing income tax returns and for making an application for allotment of PAN with effect from July 1, 2017 does not apply to nonresident Indians [NRIs].
Is it mandatory to create an account with the department website?
No, it is not necessary to have an account with the department website. There is a direct link that is available which you can use to link your PAN and Aadhaar Card.
I used to live in India but settled abroad. I plan on returning to India. Do I need to apply for an Aadhaar Card or am I exempted from this rule?
If you plan on staying in the country for more than 6 months or 182 days, you will have to apply for an Aadhaar card when you reach India.
How long is the OTP sent by the Aadhaar database valid for?
The Aadhaar OTP is valid for a total of 15 minutes from the time it was generated.
How can I change the mobile number that is registered with Aadhaar?
You can get in touch with the UIDAI helpdesk by email at email@example.com or you can contact their toll-free number which is 1800-300-1947.
Can I de-link my Aadhaar number?
No. There is no option that is available to de-link your Aadhaar number once it has been updated on the e-filing page.
How do I make changes to an Aadhaar Number that I have filed?
You can get in touch with the UIDAI helpdesk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can contact their toll-free number which is 1800-300-1947.
What should I do if my details as per my PAN card do not match with the ones mentioned on my Aadhaar card?
If the details on your PAN card such as spelling of name, date of birth or gender do not match the ones on your Aadhaar card, you will have to submit an application with valid proof and get the details corrected. After this, you may apply to link your Aadhaar with your PAN card.
Do I have to submit any documentary proof to link my PAN and Aadhaar card?
No, you are not required to submit any documents when linking your Aadhaar to your PAN card. You have to check if the PAN information mentioned on the website matches your Aadhaar card and then apply for them to be linked.
What are the details I have to check when linking my PAN with my Aadhaar card?
When linking your PAN with your Aadhaar card, you have to make sure that your name, date of birth and gender as displayed on the income tax website matches with the details on your Aadhaar card.