A TAN number is used to identify your Tax Deduction Account. It stands for Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number. The TAN number is a 10-digit alphanumeric code. The first 4 digits are capital letters of the alphabet. The 5th to the 9th digit is numerical. The 10th digit is again a capital letter. For example, a TAN number should look like PDES03028F. Anyone who is liable to deduct TDS from their payments must get a TAN which they must then quote when issuing the payments or getting TDS returns.
How to Verify TAN Number Online
To verify your TAN, simply log on to the e-Filing website of the Income Tax Department and follow these instructions:
- Under the tab “Services”, select “Know Your PAN” from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the Category of Deductor. You can choose from the following list:
- Branch of company
- Statutory body/autonomous bodies/local authority
- Central and state government
- Firms/AOP/AOP(trust)/BOI/artificial judicial person
- Branch of firms/AOP/AOP(trust)/BOI/artificial judicial person
- Branch of individual business (sole proprietorship)/HUF(Karta)
- Select your state
- You can then opt to search via Name or TAN
- Enter your name or the TAN number according to your preference
- Enter the captcha code as it appears onscreen
- Click on “Search” to generate your results
FAQs on TAN Verification
- What happens if I deduct TDS without a TAN?
The TAN is required in all cases of TDS. The number must be quoted in your communications with the IT department of India. If you do not get a TAN, you are liable to pay a fine of Rs.10,000. Furthermore, any TDS returns and payments will not be received by the banks if the TAN is missing.
- Can I check the TAN of the person who deducted TDS from my payment?
Yes, you can verify the TAN of anyone who deducts TDS. You simply need their TAN or their full name. It is good to verify TDS deductions from your payment to ensure it was rightfully and legally done.
- How do I get a TAN?
You can apply for a TAN online and offline. Fill in the application form number 49B which is available on the NDSL website. Submit it and make the payment as per the instructions. Offline, you can apply at the TIN-FC centres.
- What are the charges for TAN application?
The charges are Rs.62 only.
- What modes of payment are accepted for TAN application?
You can make the payment via credit card, debit card, net banking, demand draft or cheque.
- I have a PAN number. Do I need a TAN or can I just quote the PAN number?
You cannot quote PAN in place of TAN. The two numbers serve two different purposes. The TAN is meant for people who collect Tax Deducted at Source on behalf of the IT department. The PAN is meant for individuals, companies, and so on, to pay their taxes.
News about TAN Verification
CBDT will issue TAN and PAN within a day
CBDT or central Board of Direct Taxation tied up with MCA (Ministry of Corporate Affairs) for issuing PAN (Permanent Account Number) and TAN (Tax Deduction Account Number) in a day, in order to improve business. All companies must submit the SPICe (INC 32) application form on the MCA portal.
COI (Certificate of Incorporation) of the new companies are going to include the Permanent Account Number along with the CIN or Corporate Identity Number. The Tax Deduction Account Number will also be provided to the company once it is generated. For all the new companies, PAN was given in less than 4 hours in 2017.
18th April 2017