Most of the time, Indians apply for a duplicate PAN card in the case of loss of the card. In other cases, the card might get stolen, damaged or misplaced. There is a tedious process to apply for a duplicate PAN card which requires filing an FIR.
Once you file the FIR, a request must be raised by the applicant for the reprint of the card by providing the old PAN and a copy of the FIR. However, due to the time taken for this procedure, most people opt to re-apply for a new PAN Card.
A duplicate PAN or reprinting of the card can be requested by the applicant in some specific cases on account of damages. In such cases, the PAN does not change and only a new card is issued.
About Duplicate PAN card
- How to Download PAN Card Online
- Steps for Generating Duplicate PAN Card
- Download Duplicate PAN Card using Aadhaar Card
- How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Offline
- How to Surrender Duplicate PAN Card?
- Documents Required for Duplicate PAN Card
- Things to Know About Duplicate PAN Card Application
- Instances when need for Duplicate PAN Card can Aris
- Damaged PAN Card Replacement
How to Download PAN Card Online?
In the Union Budget 2019, the Chief of the Central Board of Direct Taxes mentioned that the government will be introducing centers all around the country to facilitate applications of e-PAN cards.
You can download PAN card soft copy (e-PAN card) through the NSDL portal with your Acknowledgement number as well as your PAN and date of birth.
Here are the steps by which you can download your e-PAN card with the acknowledgement number:
Step 1: Visit the NSDL portal to download the e-PAN with acknowledgement number.
Step 2: Enter the acknowledgement number which you have received.
Step 3: Click on Generate OTP.
Step 4: Enter the OTP you have received on your mobile and click on 'validate'.
Step 5: Click on the 'download PDF' option to download the e-PAN instantly.
The steps involved to download e-PAN card with your PAN and Date of Birth are:
Step 1:Visit the download e-pan NSDL portal.
Step 2:Enter the details which are required on the form such as date of birth, PAN and Captcha code.
Step 3:Click on 'submit' and download the e-PAN for free.
Following Snaps are the reference for Generating Duplicate PAN Card
After you have taken down the token number, you will have to click on 'Continue with PAN Application Form'.
Under the section of 'Personal Details', you will need to select the mode of submitting your PAN application documents.
You can choose from the following three modes of submission:
- Submit digitally with e-sign and e-KYC.
- Submit scanned images through e-Sign
- Forward documents physically
You will also have to make sure you check the box if you require a physical PAN card or not.
- Once done, you will need to enter you Aadhaar number.
- EID number
- Name as per Aadhaar card.
- Father's and mother's name.
Once done, click on 'next'.
Contact and Other Details
- Under this category, you will need to choose the 'address for communication'. It can be your office or residence.
- Fill in your address details.
- Once done, you will need to add your contact details and e-mail ID.
Recheck everything and once done, click on 'next'.
- This is the last section for application for a Duplicate PAN card.
- You will need to upload your Aadhaar card as a proof of address, proof of date of birth and proof of Identity.
- Once uploaded, you will need to add the declaration by entering your name and place along with the date.
- Recheck the information and then click on 'submit'.
Once you click on 'submit' from the Document details page, the website will take you to a payment page where you will be required to make the payment.
Once the payment is made, you will receive an acknowledgement number. This 15-digit number can be used to track your PAN card applicationpan-card/how-to-track-pan-card-delivery-status.
You will ideally receive your duplicate PAN card within 2 weeks from the date of application.
|Click here >> Download Duplicate PAN Card Application Form|
Download Duplicate PAN Card using Aadhaar Card
The NSDL offers you the option to download a duplicate PAN card using your Aadhaar card. You can follow the steps mentioned below to request for your duplicate PAN card using your Aadhaar Card:
Step 1: Visit the official TIN-NSDL website of the Income Tax Department at https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/ReprintEPan.html.
Step 2: Fill in the form with the required data such as your PAN, Aadhaar number, date of birth, and GSTIN (optional).
Step 3: Check the box against the ‘Terms and conditions’ declaration.
Step 4: Enter the Captcha code in the designated field.
Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button to proceed.
Step 6: You will be redirected to a new web page wherein you can scroll down and select the option to receive a One Time Password or OTP on your registered contact details (email ID and mobile phone number).
Step 7: Generate the OTP and enter the same in the designated field.
Step 8: Click on the ‘Validate’ button to submit your request for the issuance of the duplicate Aadhaar card.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Offline
You will have to follow the steps given below if you wish to apply for a duplicate PAN card offline:
Step 1:You will have to download or print the ‘Request for new PAN Card and/or changes or corrections in PAN data’ form.
Step 2:Fill the form.
Step 3:Mention your 10-digit PAN number
Step 4:Attach a couple of passport size photograph of yours and cross-sign it in a careful manner.
Step 5:You will have to send the form to the NSDL center along with the other necessary documents such as proof of identity, proof of address, etc.
Step 6:Make sure to make the payment. The NSDL after receiving your form will review the form and will provide you with a 15-digit reference number.
Step 7:You can also check the status of your application using the 15-digit reference number.
Step 8:The application will be sent to the Income-tax PAN services unit. If the information provided by you is correct, then you will most likely receive your duplicate card within 14 days of your applying for a duplicate PAN Card.
How to Surrender Duplicate PAN card?
It is not permissible by law to have two PAN Cards with two different PAN numbers; hence you will be needed to submit any one of them. You can surrender one of your PAN cards by following the steps given below:
- Write a letter to your assessing officer requesting for the surrender of your PAN Card. Make sure you provide the necessary details of both your PAN cards.
- You will have to clearly mention the PAN card you want to submit and the one you wish to retain.
- You will have to hand over the letter to your assessing officer who will give you an acknowledgment number in return which will be the proof that the PAN Card surrendered by you is cancelled.
Documents Required for Duplicate PAN Card
Given below is the list of documents you will have to submit for obtaining a duplicate PAN Card:
- Self-attested identity proof such as Aadhaar, driving license, voter ID, etc.
- Self-attested address proof such as Aadhaar, bank account statements, utility bill, etc..
- Self-attested document mentioning the date of your birth such as Passport, matriculation certificate, certificate of birth, etc..
- PAN allotment letter or a self-attested copy of PAN Card.
Things to Know about Duplicate PAN Card Application
- When you lose your PAN card, you will first have to file an FIR. The FIR copy and the documents required for reprint PAN card application needs to be sent to NSDL office
- In case the communication address is in India, the fee for processing these applications is Rs.110 including taxes.
- The fee for processing PAN Card application when address is outside India is Rs.1020 including taxes.
- Applicants can pay either through Credit Card/Debit Card, demand Draft or even Net Banking.
- In case applicants are paying via credit cards or debit cards, an additional charge of 2% will be applicable by the bank that provides gateway facility. Also, exchange or conversion rates may be applicable.
- Once payment has been successful, acknowledgement will be displayed which will have to be saved. This acknowledgement will have to be printed and sent to NSDL e-Gov site.
- In case the applicant is a minor, then his/her Aadhaar number will have to be given in the application form. This number will then be authenticated.
- In case of a non-individual PAN applicant, the acknowledgement receipt will have to be signed by an authorised signatory i.e., Karta if it is HUF, Partner in case of a Partnership Firm, Director in case of Company, Trustee in case of Trust and Authorised signatory in all remaining categories.)
- In case thumb impression is used as signature, it will have to be verified by a Magistrate or a Gazetted Officer or a Notary Public, under official stamp and seal.
- You will recieve your PAN card at the address which is mentioned in your aadhaar.
- While sending the application by post, on the top of the envelope mention "Application for Reprint of PAN-Acknowledgement No” .
Instances when need for Duplicate PAN Card can Arise
There could be multiple reasons for an individual/company/trust to want a duplicate PAN card, with some of the popular ones mentioned below.
- Loss/theft – Given the fact that most of us carry our PAN card in our wallets, it is possible to lose it on account of theft of wallet. This is a major reason for people to apply for a duplicate PAN card.
- Misplaced – We often misplace our cards, unsure as to where we left them. One can apply for a duplicate PAN on such occasions as well.
- Damaged - A PAN card can get damaged due to multiple reasons, leaving us with no option but to reprint it.
- Change of information – It is possible for errors to creep into a PAN card, requiring changes and/or reprint.
Note: A number of third party websites provide the facility to replace/reprint a PAN card. While one can utilise them, their genuineness isn’t guaranteed, which is why it is recommended to use the official website for the same.
|Category of Applicant||Payment by Debit Card / Credit Card / Net Banking can be made by / for|
|Individual||Self or immediate family members (parents, spouse, children)|
|Company||Any Director of the Company|
|Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership||Any Partner of the Firm/ LLP|
|Association of Person(s) / Body of Individuals / Association of Person(s) Trust / Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority||Authorised Signatory covered under section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961|
List Of Pan Card Office in India 2021
Some important points relating to Duplicate PAN Card
Given below are some important points related to duplicate PAN Card which you must keep in mind:
- In case your PAN card gets stolen, you will need to file an FIR by visiting the nearest police station. A copy of the FIR is to be sent along with all the relevant documents when applying for a duplicate PAN Card.
- If you are sending the acknowledgement of PAN application by the registered post, then it is mandatory for you to mention ‘Acknowledgement No. – (*************) – Application for Reprint of PAN or Application for changes or correction in PAN data’ on the top of your envelope.
- You will have to pay an application fee when applying for a duplicate PAN card. The application fee for an Indian resident is Rs.110 and for a non-resident person is Rs.1,020.
- Your duplicate PAN Card will be dispatched to the address mentioned in your Aadhaar Card.
Damaged PAN Card Replacement
To replace a damaged card, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the NSDL website. (https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com)
- Fill the the online PAN replacement form.
- Click on submit.
- The applicant should ensure that all entry fields are correct, else you will not be able to submit the application.
- Fill in the corresponding box with the required changes if you need to make changes to your PAN card.
- Enter PAN details and address.
- For requests for a new PAN card, the applicant’s Aadhaar card details will have to be submitted along with the application form.
On making the entry, the acknowledgment will be displayed. The acknowledgement will consist of:
- Space for Signature
- A 15-digit unique acknowledgement number
- Category of applicant
- Details of Proof of Identity, Address & Date of birth(applicable for Individual & HUF applicants)
- Payment Details
- Address for Communication
- Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Name of applicant
- Space for Photograph (in case of 'Individual')
- Date of Birth/Incorporation/Agreement/Partnership or Trust Deed/Formation of Body of Individuals/Association of Persons
- Father's Name (in case of 'Individual')
- Aadhaar No.
Once you have received the acknowledgement, you can check the status of the PAN verification. The verification should be done within 5 days from receiving the acknowledgement. Follow the steps mentioned below to check PAN verification using PAN number:
- Log on NSDL PAN card financial service website.
- enter your existing PAN card number for replacement or reprint of PAN card.
- Next, enter the captcha.
- Click on submit once that is done.
- The website will then display the PAN verification status.
Income Tax Department To Establish Real-Time e-PAN Allotment Center
Minister of State for Finance, Mr. Anurag Singh Thakur has informed the Lok Sabha that the government is planning to develop a PAN/TAN processing center. This center aims to provide e-PANs to the taxpayers of the country in real-time or in a maximum of 10 minutes.
The processing centers are being developed to abide by the objective of the allotment of e-PAN through the Aadhaar-based KYC in real-time.
In December 2018, the Central Board of Direct Taxes had issued a notification mentioning that e-PAN cards issued in the PDF format with the QR code will be regarded as valid PAN cards.
These centers will issue e-PAN cards by the Income Tax Department of India using the e-KYC which was taken for Aadhaar cards and will be sent to taxpayers through e-mail. The e-PAN will be digitally signed and can be submitted as proof of identity to any other agency, electronically.
The e-PAN card will only be available for the citizens of the country who hold an Aadhaar card. To add, the time taken to issue the physical PAN card is likely to come down as the Income Tax Department aims to upgrade the allotment process especially for the applicants who are applying through the Aadhaar KYC.
- What is the fee for registering for a duplicate PAN Card?
- If I lose my PAN Card, will I have to file an FIR at the nearest police station?
- Will I have to link my Aadhaar again after getting my duplicate PAN Card?
- I lost my PAN and I do not remember my PAN number. What should I do?
- What are the details I should provide in order to know my PAN?
You will have to pay a sum total of Rs.110 as registering fee while applying for a duplicate PAN Card.
Yes, you will have to obtain a copy of the FIR stating the loss of your PAN Card. It will be a proof of you having lost your PAN card and will help you with the process of applying for a duplicate card.
If you PAN number has not changed, then you will not be required to link your Aadhaar with your PAN.
If you lost your PAN and do not remember the PAN Number, you can do so by using the facility of "Know Your PAN" provided by the Income Tax Department. You will find this on the official website of Income Tax Department.
You will have to provide details such as your name, name of your father, and date of birth in order to know your PAN details.