You will most likely need to apply for a duplicate PAN card when your card gets lost, misplaced, stolen, damaged, or when your current PAN card has inaccuracies that need to be rectified such as your name, PAN details, etc. When you lose your PAN card, you will first have to file an FIR. Next, you will have to request for a reprint of your PAN by supplying your old PAN card number and a copy of your FIR. Many people are not ready to go through this legal process. Hence, they instead apply for a new PAN card. Individuals/trusts/HUFs who wish to apply for a duplicate PAN card or reprint an existing card on account of damages can do so by following a few simple steps. One should note that this can be done only if they have been allotted a PAN card, which on account of certain reasons needs to be reprinted. In such cases, the Permanent Account Number doesn’t change, with only a new card with other modifications (if any) provided.
|About Duplicate PAN card|
How to Get Duplicate Pan Card Online by Official Website
Log onto the official website of TIN-NSDL and navigate to section on Reprint of PAN card.
- Once here, one will have to choose the “apply” tab and opt for the kind of PAN they need to replace/get a duplicate of. This depends on whether the initial PAN was allotted to an individual, firm, trust, HUF, etc.
- They will now have to fill up the form, providing relevant information like Permanent Account Number, name, address, email id, phone number, etc. One should ensure that they do not click on any of the boxes on the left hand side of the form.
- Post filling the form, documents like ID proof, date of birth and photographs should be submitted. One should also submit proof of the existing card which they wish to reprint.
- A payment towards getting a replacement card should be made. This payment depends on the communication address to which they want the card delivered, with it being Rs 110 including taxes if the address is within India and Rs 1020 including taxes and delivery fees if it is outside India. Payment can be made either through net banking, debit/credit card or demand drafts.
- Once payment is made and all supporting documents are submitted, an acknowledgment will be provided. This is a unique 15 digit number which can be used for future correspondence with authorities.
- Post verification of documents, the PAN card will be dispatched, with it likely to take around 2 weeks for the same.
|Click here >> Download Duplicate PAN Card Application Form|
How to Apply Duplicate Pan Card Online
Visit NSDL Official Site
- Applicants will have to first click on the link titled ‘Apply Online’ and they will be redirected to another page.
- Individuals will have to click on ‘Application type’ and select the third option which is, ‘Changes or Correction in existing PAN Date/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data).
- Under ‘Category’ applicants will have to choose the relevant option, which is either individual or company or so on.
- The next section is regarding information of the applicant. The first answer that will have to be given is the ‘Title’.
- Next, they will have to give their last name or their surname.
- Individuals will have to then provide their first name and their middle name.
- Next, individuals will have to mention their date of birth including month, year and date.
- Lastly, applicants will have to provide their email address and their mobile number and also should mention if they are a citizen of India or not.
- Once all the required information is given, applicants will have to enter the Captcha Code and submit the form if they are satisfied with their answers, or reset and type the correct information prior to submitting it.
In case the applicant is a registered user, he/she will have to provide their temporary token number, email address and date of birth. Once the correct information has been given, they will have to provide the Captcha Code and submit their answers.
While filling the online application, applicants can either choose to provide physical acknowledgement, Aadhaar based e-Sign or a Digital Signature Certificate. If applicants choose a Digital Signature Certificate or an Aadhaar based e-Sign option, they will have to upload scanned images of their signature, photograph and other supporting documents while providing the application. In case of Aadhaar based e-Sign option, the applicant’s Aadhaar card will be chosen as a supporting document.
If, by any chance, the data that has been submitted fails with respect to format level validation, a response indicating all the error(s) will be displayed on the screen. All errors will have to be rectified by the applicant and the form should be re-submitted. In case there are no errors, a confirmation screen with all the data that has been filled by the applicant will be displayed. The individual has the option to either confirm or edit this data prior to submitting it. Applicants will have to fill all the mandatory fields which would be marked with (*).
How to Download PAN Card (e-PAN Card) online?
When NSDL and UTIITSL announced the launch of the new service of providing e-PAN to applicants while they apply for a new card, it proved to be a relief to many. In case someone has lost or misplaced their PAN card, they can download an e-PAN card in PDF format.
The Central Board of Direct Taxation introduced the facility to download PAN card soft copy (e-PAN card) for Indian citizens. Currently, only new applicants can avail the facility and directly download their copy to the email address provided by them during the time of registration.
The applicants will receive an email containing the pdf version of their PAN soft copy with photo and digital signature. If one forgets to provide their email id, they can download the PAN once it has been issued but in this case it will not include the individual’s photo and digital signature. Alternatively, they can apply to get a duplicate copy of their card using the same details in form 49A.
All they need to do is follow the steps mentioned below:
- Log on to www.onlineservices.nsdl.com.
- Next step is to fill in details like name, phone number, and email ID on form that appears on the screen.
- Once, the applicant submits the form, the e-PAN card will be sent to them visa email in PDF format.
- The applicant can then download the e-PAN card from their mail.
Payment To Be Made Along With Duplicate Pan Card Application
Applicants can follow the steps given below regarding payment for their PAN card.
- In case the communication address is in India, the fee for processing these applications is Rs.110 including taxes. Applicants can pay either through Credit Card/Debit Card, demand Draft or even Net Banking.
- In case any of the addresses is not in India, the payment can be made through either Debit Card or Credit Card or even Demand Draft payable at Mumbai.
- The fee for processing PAN Card application when address is outside India is Rs.1020 including taxes.
- In case applicants are paying via credit cards or debit cards, an additional charge of 2% will be applicable by the bank that provides gateway facility. Also, exchange or conversion rates may be applicable.
- Once payment has been successful, acknowledgement will be displayed which will have to be saved. This acknowledgement will have to be printed and sent to NSDL e-Gov site.
- If the applicants have provided their Aadhaar number then, a copy of Aadhaar card along with the supporting documents will have to be submitted.
- In case the applicant is a minor, then his/her Aadhaar number will have to be given in the application form. This number will then be authenticated.
- Once confirmation has been provided upon successful payment, an acknowledgement screen with a receipt will be displayed. This receipt will have to be downloaded and printed.
- In case of a non-individual PAN applicant, the acknowledgement receipt will have to be signed by an authorised signatory i.e., Karta if it is HUF, Partner in case of a Partnership Firm, Director in case of Company, Trustee in case of Trust and Authorised signatory in all remaining categories.)
- In case thumb impression is used as signature, it will have to be verified by a Magistrate or a Gazetted Officer or a Notary Public, under official stamp and seal.
Instances when need for Duplicate PAN Card Can Arise
There could be multiple reasons for an individual/company/trust to want a duplicate PAN card, with some of the popular ones mentioned below.
- Loss/theft – Given the fact that most of us carry our PAN card in our wallets, it is possible to lose it on account of theft of wallet. This is a major reason for people to apply for a duplicate PAN card.
- Misplaced – We often misplace our cards, unsure as to where we left them. One can apply for a duplicate PAN on such occasions as well.
- Damaged - A PAN card can get damaged due to multiple reasons, leaving us with no option but to reprint it.
- Change of information – It is possible for errors to creep into a PAN card, requiring changes and/or reprint.
Note: A number of third party websites provide the facility to replace/reprint a PAN card. While one can utilise them, their genuineness isn’t guaranteed, which is why it is recommended to use the official website for the same.
|Category of Applicant||Payment by Debit Card / Credit Card / Net Banking can be made by / for|
|Individual||Self or immediate family members (parents, spouse, children)|
|Company||Any Director of the Company|
|Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership||Any Partner of the Firm/ LLP|
|Association of Person(s) / Body of Individuals / Association of Person(s) Trust / Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority||Authorised Signatory covered under section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961|
Damaged PAN card Replacement
To replace a damaged card, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the NSDL website. (https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com)
- Fill the the online PAN replacement form.
- Click on submit.
- The applicant should ensure that all entry fields are correct, else you will not be able to submit the application.
- Fill in the corresponding box with the required changes if you need to make changes to your PAN card.
- Enter PAN details and address.
- For requests for a new PAN card, the applicant’s Aadhaar card details will have to be submitted along with the application form.
- On making the entry, the acknowledgment will be displayed. The acknowledgement will consist of:
- Space for Signature
- A 15-digit unique acknowledgement number
- Category of applicant
- Details of Proof of Identity, Address & Date of birth(applicable for Individual & HUF applicants)
- Payment Details
- Address for Communication
- Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Name of applicant
- Space for Photograph (in case of 'Individual')
- Date of Birth/Incorporation/Agreement/Partnership or Trust Deed/Formation of Body of Individuals/Association of Persons
- Father's Name (in case of 'Individual')
- Aadhaar No.
Once you have received the acknowledgement, you can check the status of the PAN verification. The verification should be done within 5 days from receiving the acknowledgement. Follow the steps mentioned below to check PAN verification using PAN number:
- Log on NSDL PAN card financial service website.
- enter your existing PAN card number for replacement or reprint of PAN card.
- Next, enter the captcha.
- Click on submit once that is done.
- The website will then display the PAN verification status.