A PAN card is a vital document in our day to day life, with a number of financial transactions requiring its use, be it for salary purposes, purchase of goods exceeding a certain amount or just to deposit/withdraw money. Given its use, most of us tend to carry it with us, exposing it to the danger of damage/theft/loss. We often come across cases of people losing their PAN cards on a daily basis, which is why the government has implemented sufficient measures, ensuring that a duplicate PAN isn’t hard to get.
How to Get Duplicate PAN Card/Reprint PAN Card
Individuals/trusts/HUFs who wish to apply for a duplicate PAN card or reprint an existing card on account of damages can do so by following a few simple steps. One should note that this can be done only if they have been allotted a PAN card, which on account of certain reasons needs to be reprinted. In such cases, the Permanent Account Number doesn’t change, with only a new card with other modifications (if any) provided.
The procedure to avail a duplicate PAN card is mentioned below.
- Log onto the official website of TIN-NSDL and navigate to section on Reprint of PAN card.
- Once here, one will have to choose the “apply” tab and opt for the kind of PAN they need to replace/get a duplicate of. This depends on whether the initial PAN was allotted to an individual, firm, trust, HUF, etc.
- They will now have to fill up the form, providing relevant information like Permanent Account Number, name, address, email id, phone number, etc. One should ensure that they do not click on any of the boxes on the left hand side of the form.
- Post filling the form, documents like ID proof, date of birth and photographs should be submitted. One should also submit proof of the existing card which they wish to reprint.
- A payment towards getting a replacement card should be made. This payment depends on the communication address to which they want the card delivered, with it being Rs 107 if the address is within India and Rs 989 if it is outside India. Payment can be made either through net banking, debit/credit card or demand drafts.
- Once payment is made and all supporting documents are submitted, an acknowledgment will be provided. This is a unique 15 digit number which can be used for future correspondence with authorities.
- Post verification of documents, the PAN card will be dispatched, with it likely to take around 2 weeks for the same.
|Click here >> Download Duplicate PAN Card Application Form|
Instances when need for Duplicate PAN Card Can Arise
There could be multiple reasons for an individual/company/trust to want a duplicate PAN card, with some of the popular ones mentioned below.
- Loss/theft – Given the fact that most of us carry our PAN card in our wallets, it is possible to lose it on account of theft of wallet. This is a major reason for people to apply for a duplicate PAN card.
- Misplaced – We often misplace our cards, unsure as to where we left them. One can apply for a duplicate PAN on such occasions as well.
- Damaged - A PAN card can get damaged due to multiple reasons, leaving us with no option but to reprint it.
- Change of information – It is possible for errors to creep into a PAN card, requiring changes and/or reprint.
Note: A number of third party websites provide the facility to replace/reprint a PAN card. While one can utilise them, their genuineness isn’t guaranteed, which is why it is recommended to use the official website for the same.
News About Duplicate Pan Card
Finance Ministry Deactivates over 11.5 Lakh Duplicate PAN Cards
The government has announced that it has deactivated over 11 lakh 56 thousand PAN (Permanent Account Number) cards. The deactivated cards are additional cards that were issued to tax payers.
With the government urging tax payers to link their Aadhaar cards to their PAN cards, additional cards that were issued to the same individual are now coming to light and the government is working on de-linking the cards.
Another feature that is aiding the process is the addition of the mother’s name in the document records, as it helps in weeding out duplicate PAN cards.
06th May 2016
Income Tax Department Gets Advanced Tech Tool to Verify Duplicate PAN
Each time a new PAN application reaches the Income Tax Department’s portal, a new tech tool will be used by the authorities to identify duplicate numbers. ITBA-PAN or Income Tax Business Application – Permanent Account Number as it is called in its full form, is an ambitious electronic smart platform that can help the Income Tax Department and intermediaries who issue PAN cards to identify duplicate numbers each time their portals receive a new application for generation. However, the old PAN cards will have to go through the same manual system as before.
06th April 2016