The 10-digit alphanumeric Permanent Account Number or PAN is a number assigned to all eligible taxpayers in the country. The card which contains the alphanumeric number is an important document and is issued by the Income Tax department. The number helps the department simplify and streamline the taxation system by providing significant information and bringing about transparency when it comes to financial transactions. PAN is required to be quoted by individuals while filing their IT returns.
How To Track PAN Application Status Online Through NSDL Portal?
When it comes to tracking the status of a PAN card application, the easiest way to do it is through the online mode. An individual can track the status of a PAN card application online by following the steps mentioned below:
- First, the applicant needs to visit www.tin-nsdl.com.
- Select 'PAN' under the 'Services' tab.
- Select 'Know Status of Your Application'.
- Next, select the application type.
- Key in the acknowledgement number.
- Then, enter the captcha code
- Click 'Submit'
- On providing the correct information, the status of the PAN card application is displayed on the corresponding screen.
Note: Online Tracking of a PAN card application can be carried out by an individual only after 24 hours of filing the application.
How To Check The Status Of PAN Application on UTI Website ?
An applicant who has filed for a PAN card through UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited) needs to have the application number in order to check the status of the application. To check the status of the PAN application, applicants need to follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Visit www.utiitsl.com/UTIITSL_SITE/
- Select 'Track Your PAN card' under the 'PAN Card' tab.
- In the corresponding screen, enter the 'Application Coupon number' and the captcha code.
- Next, click on 'Submit'.
- The status of the PAN application is displayed on the corresponding screen.
Other Ways To Track The Status Of A PAN Application
When an applicant files for the 10-digit alphanumeric Permanent Account Number, it usually takes around 15 working days for him/her to receive the number, that is issued by the Income Tax Department. Given this reason, the department provides the applicant with a 15-digit acknowledgement number after the application is submitted. Courtesy the number, the applicant can track the status of the PAN application. Apart from visiting the official website of NSDL and UTIITSL and tracking the status of the PAN application, applicants can also do so by using the modes mentioned below:
- Telephone call
- SMS facility
To track the status of a PAN card application through a telephone call, the applicant is required to call the TIN call centre at 020-27218080 between 7:00 am and 11:00 pm. On providing the 15-digit acknowledgement number to the call centre executive, the status of the application can be obtained. It needs to be mentioned here that an applicant can also track the status of the PAN card application through IVR (Interactive Voice Response) between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am after the call centre timing.
Tracking the status of the PAN application through SMS requires the applicant to send an SMS to 57575 by typing 'NSDLPAN' followed by the 15-digit acknowledgement number that was provided to them after the application was successfully submitted. On doing so, the current status of the application is sent on the mobile number provided in the application form.
Validity Of A PAN Card
The PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department comes with a lifetime validity. It is not affected by the change of assessing officer or address. If the applicant needs to change details such as name, father's name, Date of Birth (DOB) as well as the photo printed on the card, they can get in touch with the officials of the department and rectify these details at the earliest. It needs to be mentioned here that, while making changes to the details mentioned above, the applicants must provide the department with relevant documents.
PAN Transaction Status
Apart from knowing the status of the PAN card application, applicants can also know the PAN transaction status. Applicants who apply with the applicable fees for availing a PAN through internet banking, credit or debit card, can track the status of the transaction by following the steps listed below:
- Visit https://www.tin-nsdl.com/
- Select 'PAN' under the 'Services' tab.
- Click on 'Know Status of Your Credit card/Debit card/Net Banking transaction for online application'.
- Next, provide the transaction number that is displayed on the 'Payment through Credit card/Debit card/Net banking' screens or the 15-digit acknowledgment number.
- Enter the name of the applicant
- Provide the Date of Birth/ Date of Incorporation/Date of Agreement/Date of Partnership or Trust Deed/Date of Formation of Body of Individuals/Date of Association of Persons depending on the kind of applicant
- Click on 'Show Status'
- On doing the above-mentioned steps, the transaction status is displayed on the corresponding screen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) On PAN Card Status
- If the message 'Your application is under process at Income Tax Department' appears when checking the status of the PAN card application. Is there any chance of failure?
- Pan Card status is showing 'Application is inwarded'. What is the meaning of this status?
- When I check the status of my PAN card application, it shows no matching record found. What should I do?
- How can I check my PAN card application status without an acknowledgement number on NSDL?
- My PAN card status is showing that my application is being withheld from processing due to incomplete details/documentary proof. What should I do now?
- My PAN card application status is showing as 'deleted'. What should I do?
- After how many days can I track my PAN card status?
- Can I open a savings account with a printout of my PAN card application status?
- In how many days will I get my PAN card if the status reads 'PAN card is under printing'?
- What is the possible way to track the postal status of the PAN card after it dispatched?
- Why is the government deactivating additional PAN cards that individuals have in their name? How do I check the status?
- How many modes are available to applicants for checking the status of PAN card application?
Just by looking at this message, it is difficult to say whether the application filed by applicant will be accepted or rejected. If all the details provided in the application form are correct, the application will be accepted. It needs to be mentioned here that if an applicant sees this message for a considerable amount of time, it is not necessary to assume that the application was rejected. This is because there can be other reasons for it like officials taking time to scrutinize the application, delay in updating the status of the application on the website, etc.
The message indicates that the application has been received by the department and is being processed.
If the above mentioned message is seen when checking the status of the PAN application, there is a high possibility that the application was not received by the issuing authority i.e NSDL or UTIITSL due to some unforeseen circumstances.
If the 15-digit acknowledgement number is lost or misplaced, there is no way to check the status of the PAN card application. It needs to be mentioned here that earlier NSDL used to allow individuals to check the status of the application by using their Name and Date of Birth.
The best thing to do is to get in touch with the officials at the earliest. This will help in getting the issue resolved within the specified time period and save you from having to apply for the PAN card all over again.
If such a message is being displayed when checking the status of the PAN application, it is better to get in touch with the officials of the department as soon as possible.
Usually, you can track the status of the PAN card application after 24 hours of submitting the application. However, the number of days can vary due to certain unforeseen circumstances.
Yes, you can open a savings account by providing the printout of the PAN card application status. The savings account can also be opened by providing a copy of the acknowledgement slip that contains the 15-digit acknowledgement number.
It is tough to answer this. This is because many issues are to be taken into consideration like when the card is dispatched by the department, couriered etc. Usually, it takes 21 days for an individual to get his/her PAN card after the application is submitted.
Applicants who had applied for the PAN card can track it with the help of the tracking number that is displayed on the screen when the application status is checked by him/her using the 15-digit acknowledgement code.
The government is deactivating additional PAN cards because as per law it is illegal to possess more than one PAN card.
To check the status, you can visit the Income Tax e-filing website, click on 'Know your PAN' and follow the steps mentioned there.
There are three types of modes that applicants can use for checking the status of their PAN card application. They are:
- Online tracking
- Through Telephone call
- Through SMS facility
To track the status of the PAN card application through SMS, all the applicant needs to send an SMS to 57575 typing NSDLPAN followed by the 15 digit acknowledgement number. For example, 'NSDLPAN 012345678900000' and send it to 57575
To check the status of PAN card application using the call facility, the applicant needs to call on 020-27218080 and provide the call centre executive with the 15-digit acknowledgement number provided to him/her after the application was successfully submitted.
To check PAN application status on UTIITSL, the applicant first needs to visit the official website of UTIITSL. Next, the applicant needs to go the PAN card page and enter the application coupon number along with the captcha code and click 'Submit'. The status of the application will be displayed on the corresponding screen.