A PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is one of THE most important documents in India, with all eligible taxpayers expected to have it. A PAN card has simplified and streamlined the taxation system for the government, providing sufficient information and bringing about transparency in financial transactions. A PAN is mandatory for anyone who hopes to be part of the booming Indian economy, thereby putting additional emphasis on the PAN application.
Ways to track your PAN application status
It typically takes around 15 working days for an individual to receive his/her PAN after applying for it. The government, on its part makes it easy for an applicant to track the application status, keeping him/her abreast of current happenings, providing a 15 digit acknowledgment number to each applicant. An applicant can choose between three modes to track his/her PAN application, as mentioned below.
- SMS facility – Applicants can track their application status through their phone, using a specialised SMS service. An individual can do this by SMSing NSDLPAN followed by their 15 digit acknowledgment number to 57575. They will receive an SMS indicating their current application status.
- Telephone call – An applicant can call the TIN call centre to receive an update on the current application status. One can reach this call centre on 020-27218080, and will be required to provide his/her application acknowledgement number.
- Online tracking – Applicants can choose to track their application online, through the official website of TIN-NSDL.
Note: An applicant can track his/her PAN application status 3 days after an application has been submitted. Tracking within 3 days might not provide accurate updates.
Tracking your PAN application status online
Online tracking of a PAN application is perhaps the most popular and fastest modes of tracking, with applicants expected to follow a few simple steps to stay abreast of any changes in their application status.
- An applicant should log on to the official website for PAN, TIN-NSDL and navigate to the PAN section of the website. Once on this page, they have an option to check the status of their application.
- An applicant will then be required to choose the application type (New PAN/updated information) and provide a few details including the 15 digit acknowledgement number, his/her full name and date of birth.
- On successfully providing the necessary information, he/she will be directed to a page which shows the current status of the application.
Note: Online tracking of a PAN application is possible only 24 hours after an application is submitted online.
How to Check Your UTI PAN Application Status?
In order to track your PAN card application status, you must have your application number. Make note of the number from your application form. To track your PAN Card status, you can follow the steps below:
- Access the UTIITSL’s PAN Online Portal.
- Select “Track PAN Card Application Status”.
- Select “Click here to check status online”.
- Enter your Application coupon number.
- Click on submit to find out your application status.
Track your NSDL PAN Status
On the NSDL website, you can track your application status as well as your payment status.
- To track your PAN Card application, you can click on “Track your PAN/TAN Application Status” under PAN cards.
- Select your application type.
- Enter your acknowledgment number.
- Enter your name and date of birth.
- Click on submit to view your status.
Find out the status of your payment, by clicking on “Know Status of Your Credit Card Transaction for Online Application”.
- Enter either your Transaction number or Acknowledgment number.
- Enter your name.
- Enter your date of birth.
- Click on “Show status” to view your transaction status.
Your transaction number will be displayed on the screen when you pay through Credit Card, Debit card or Net banking.
PAN Transaction Status
Individuals who apply for a PAN can pay either through internet banking, credit/debit card or through demand drafts. The transaction status is meant for those who pay through credit/debit cards or internet banking and this can be tracked online. Applicants need to log on to the official website of TIN-NSDL and navigate to the “Transaction Status” page, wherein they get a current update on their PAN application. An applicant will be required to enter the Transaction Number which he/she got after making the payment, his/her name and the date of birth in order to check the status of their application.
News Related to PAN Card Status
Gold and Jewellery Federation wants better treatment
On the back of demonetisation and its subsequent drop in sales, GJF has come together to urge the government to increase the PAN limit from Rs.2 lakh to Rs.5 lakh.
During the first week after currency demonetisation, the central government had announced that any jewellery purchase of more than Rs.2 lakh should be completed through a PAN Card.
Besides this, the federation has also urged the government to cut the import duty by at least 5% during the 2017-18 budget.
Nitin Khandelwal, Chairman of GJF has said that the implementation of PAN card has directly hit the jewellery sales in the country. He suggested that business which was growing at 2% each year has slowed down considerably. Also, he continued saying that, a high interest rate of 10%on imports is further hindering growth of the industry.
He further said that the government should keep GST at 1.25% for the industry so that it can organise itself well.
1st February 2017