PAN cards are essential for the Income Tax Department to identify with individuals. As such, each earning citizen of India is required to have a PAN card for correspondence, TDS / TCS credits, specified transactions, returns of wealth / FBT / gift / income, tax payments, etc.
In case you have never made an application for a PAN card before, following are the procedures through which you can apply for and avail the same. There are two PAN application forms, viz. Form 49A and Form 49AA. Form 49A must be filled in by Indian citizens who are located within or outside the country, while Form 49AA must be used by NRIs.
Types of PAN Card Forms
These are the forms that are essential for PAN cards with free downloadable links:
|S No||Forms||Description||Download Form|
|1||49A||This is the form that is used to apply for a new PAN card. Should there be a requirement to correct information previously submitted, then this form can be used. It can be used by individuals, HUFs and companies or firms||Download form 49A|
|2||49AA||This is a form that is used for individuals and companies that are not incorporated in India, to get a PAN card issued to them. It carries information about the location of incorporation along with personal and contact details of the individual or company.||Download form 49AA|
Procedure to Fill up Form 49A / Form 49AA
- Choose the category of the individual applying for a PAN card and hit ‘next’.
- Complete the form with all the required details and cross-check to verify that the information provided is accurate before proceeding to pay.
- Make the payment online and you will receive a duly filled Form 49A / Form 49AA along with the payment receipt in your email.
- Get a print out of the form and affix two passport-sized photographs to it.
- Sign the form and attach the supporting documents as required and send it to NDSL at Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NDSL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No.341, Survey No.997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411016.
Tips to Fill in a PAN Application Form
- Make sure that block letters are used to fill in the application.
- Use black ink and ensure that no corrections or overwriting is done on the form.
- Use full names in the first as well as last name section instead of initials.
- Affix two photographs and ensure that they are not clipped or stapled to the form.
- Ensure that the proof of address and proof of identity provided matches exactly with the name entered in the form.
- Ensure to put the impression of the thumb on your left hand or your signature across the photograph affixed to the application in a manner such that part of the impression / signature appears on the application as well as the photograph. Also ensure that the impression / signature does not hinder the visibility of your face in the photograph as it could result in rejection of your application.
- In case thumb impression is used, it must be attested by a Gazetted Officer or a Notary Public or a Magistrate.
- Extra information such as rank, designation, etc. need not be mentioned in addition to the signature.
News Related to PAN Card Form
Government requires mandatory Aadhaar for PAN card and I-T returns
The government has decided to decrease the limit on cash transaction to Rs.2 lakh from Rs.3 lakh and make Aadhaar number compulsory for PAN card application and filing income tax returns. These decisions were part of amendments that were moved to the finance bill which puts the budget proposals into effect.
The Budget of 2017 had proposed that cash transactions of over Rs.3 lakh value be banned but the Finance Bill lowers the benchmark. This was done in order to prevent the flow of black money. In order to ensure a deterrent, penalty for violation is equal to the amount that is transacted.
27th March 2017