PAN Jurisdiction

Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a unique alphanumeric code that has 10 characters. This identification is provided by the Income Tax Department of India. It is primarily issued to monitor monetary transactions in order to restrict tax evasion effectively.

You can visit any of the multiple websites for knowing your PAN jurisdiction. The official website of Income Tax Department or NSDL is one of the most reliable websites for this purpose. The process is very simple and takes very less time.

PAN jurisdiction gives full jurisdictional details for your Permanent Account Number (PAN). You can get your PAN card jurisdictional number, type, and ward simply by entering your PAN and registered mobile number.

Know your PAN jurisdiction

You can know your PAN AO jurisdiction if you have a valid PAN. You can find out your income tax ward number or AO (Assessing Officer) code by entering your PAN details. You may have to furnish these jurisdiction details when you want to file your income tax returns.

What is PAN Number jurisdiction?

Every PAN card is connected to an Assessing Officer code that has 10 digits in the PAN database. This unique code denotes the PAN holder’s jurisdiction and this, in turn, shows the Commissioner’s Charge, Chief Commissioner Region, Joint Commissioner Range, and the place and designation of the Assessing Officer(s).

Each PAN holder is assigned with a separate range depending on his or her source of income and geographical details. Each of these ranges will be divided into multiple units and these units are known as circles or wards.

Your ward will be determined according to the income that you declare for which there is a limit. If you declare lesser than the specific limit, you will be given a sub-jurisdiction. If you declare above a specific limit, you will be included in a certain circle.

You will need to note that if you change your residential area, your AO code can also change. In order to modify your AO code, you will need to apply to a new AO.

Steps to know your PAN jurisdiction

  • First, you have to go to the official website of Income Tax Department and to the ‘Know Your Jurisdictional AO’ section on the site.
  • Here, you will need to key in your PAN and mobile number.
  • You will then get a one-time password on your registered mobile number. You will have to enter it on the screen of the website.
  • You will arrive at the jurisdiction details for the corresponding PAN.
  • You will get the name, area code, AO type, range code, AO number, jurisdiction, building name of the income tax ward office, email ID of the income tax award office, and the status of your PAN card.

Method to Know How to Change your PAN jurisdiction

You will be required to change your PAN jurisdiction when you change your residential address or jurisdiction or when you are not satisfied with your current Assessing Officer.

How to change your Assessing Officer when your address has changed?

When you move to a new house in a different area, you will need to change your details as you will have to file your tax returns. You will also need to change it so that you can have accurate communication with the Income Tax Department on time. For example, if you have moved from one city to another, you will have to intimate the current jurisdictional tax officer by writing a letter. In some cases, the jurisdiction will get modified without making any request. You can follow the steps given below:

  • You will need to visit NSDL site and go to the ‘Change address on PAN’ section. You will also have to pay a fee for this activity.
  • With this request, your assessment records will be moved from your current jurisdictional assessing officer to your new jurisdictional assessing officer. You will need to write a letter for this request and get it acknowledged. You will need to give this acknowledged letter to the new assessing officer.
  • In the letter, you will have to mention your name, PAN, your current A.O. Circle or Ward, your new A.O. Circle or Ward, and the reason for the transfer of your assessment records and legal documents.

How to change your Assessing Officer when you are not happy with his or her behaviour?

If you think that your Assessing Officer is not behaving professionally or not executing his or her duties efficiently, then you can request to change your officer. You can follow these guidelines to get your jurisdiction changed:

  • You will have to write a detailed letter and furnish it to the Ombudsman.
  • You and the authorised representative will have to sign the letter.
  • In the letter, you will have to give clear details such as your name, address, the name of the officer you are complaining against, and the reason for not being happy with his or her work.
  • You will also have to furnish relevant supporting documents.

You can follow the above-mentioned steps if you need to apply for a new Assessing Officer depending on your specific reason.

FAQs On PAN Card Jurisdiction

  1. What is the use of the jurisdiction AO code for those who already own a PAN card?
  2. The jurisdiction Assessing Officer code helps in identifying the jurisdiction under which the PAN cardholder falls in.

  3. How many elements make up an AO code?
    • The AO code is made up of 4 elements. They are:
    • Area Code
    • AO Type
    • Range Type
    • AO Number
  4. How many types of AO codes are there?
  5. There are four main types of AO codes which are meant to identify the individual/company and to associate them with the appropriate tax laws.

  6. What is meant by migration of PAN?
  7. Migration of PAN means getting one’s PAN migrated to the new Assessing Officer.

  8. Why is necessary to migrate PAN when changing residential address?
  9. This is necessary because it enables the new Assessing Officer to process the return filed by the assessee as per his new address.

  10. How do I know the jurisdiction of my new Assessing Officer?
  11. The jurisdiction of the new Assessing Officer can be viewed by visiting After visiting the website, you need to click on ‘Field Offices’ wherein the designation and contact numbers of all the Assessing Officers can be found.

  12. Can I migrate my PAN without getting my transfer request accepted by the current Assessing Officer?
  13. No, you can’t do that. This is because until and unless the current Assessing Officer accepts the request, the application can’t reach the source Commissioner of Income Tax for his/her confirmation.

  14. How will I come to know that my PAN has been migrated to the new AO?
  15. To know the current status of the jurisdictional AO of the PAN, you need to visit and select ‘Know Your AO’.

  16. Can I change my Assessing Officer on account of his/her behaviour?
  17. Yes, you can request to change your Assessing officer if you are not satisfied with the behaviour.

  18. What is the process involved for changing my Assessing Officer if I am not happy with his/ her behaviour?
  19. You can request to change your Assessing Officer by following the below mentioned steps:

    1. Write a detailed letter and furnish it to the Ombudsman
    2. Sign the letter along with the authorised representative
    3. Provide the details like your name, address, the name of the officer you are complaining against, and the reason for not being happy with his/her work in the letter
    4. Furnish relevant supporting documents to prove your allegations
  20. How can I change my Assessing Officer after I have changed my residential address?
  21. The process to change your Assessing Officer after you have changed your residential address in mentioned below:

    1. Visit the NSDL website
    2. Go to the ‘Change address on PAN’ section
    3. Pay the fees
    4. Write a letter and get it acknowledged from the current Assessing Officer.
    5. Next, submit the acknowledged letter to the new Assessing Officer.
  22. What are the steps involved in knowing PAN jurisdiction?
  23. The steps involved in knowing one’s PAN jurisdiction are as follows:

      1. The individual needs to visit the official website of the Income Tax Department
      2. Next, click on ‘Know Your AO’ section
      3. Provide the PAN card and mobile number
      4. Insert the One Time Password (OTP) sent on the registered mobile number
      5. The jurisdiction details of the PAN as well as its status is displayed.
    1. What denotes PAN holders’ jurisdiction?

    The 10-digit alphanumeric number which is contained in the PAN card is connected to an assessing officer code in the PAN database. The code of the assessing officer to which the PAN number of the individual is connected denotes the PAN holders’ jurisdiction.

  24. What does the code of the assessing officer reflect?
  25. The code shows the Commissioner’s charge, Chief Commissioner’s region, the range of the Joint Commissioner along with the place and designation of the Assessing Officer.

  26. Do all PAN holders fall in the same range?
  27. No, they don’t fall in the same range.

  28. On what basis are the PAN holders assigned to separate range?
  29. Each PAN holder is assigned a separate range based on their source of income as well as geographical details.

  30. Do AO code keep on changing?

The AO code changes only when the PAN cardholder changes his/her residential area. It also changes if you request to change the AO.


About Pan Card
PAN Card Forms
PAN Card Corrections / Rejections
PAN Verification
PAN Card Centers
Know Your PAN Status
Link Your PAN with Aadhar & Banks
Lost / Duplicate PAN Card
TAN Card

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.