A PAN is an extremely important document in the Indian financial context, with everyone participating in monetary activities expected to have it. Given its importance, most of us tend to carry it on us, thereby exposing it to the risk of loss or damage. While prevention is better than cure, there are times where we either lose it or require modifications to an existing card. Contrary to popular belief, such changes, modifications or reissue of PAN is a simple process, saving time and effort on our part.
Making changes or correction in PAN data
Suppose an applicant needs to change or correct a data on their PAN card. They will need to follow a process to get it done. Mentioned below are the steps that the applicant needs to follow:
- First, they will have to visit www.myutiitsl.com and click on the CSF Form that states 'Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data'.
- Once the form is filled up, the applicant can click on the submit tab.
- Once the fee is paid, the applicant will be given an acknowledgement number.
- The applicant is expected to keep the acknowledgement number handy to check the status of the correction application.
To check the correction application status, the applicant needs to visit www.trackpan.utiitsl.com. Then they will have to key in the acknowledgement number of their application and hit the submit tab. The status of their application will be shown on the screen of their computer.
Click here >> Download PAN Card Correction Form in PDF Format
Click here >> Download PAN Card Correction Form in Excel Format
Note: Individuals should remember to fill all the columns in the form, but should refrain from ticking any box on the left margin of the form.
Corrections / Changes / Modifications in Pan Card details
There is a possibility for errors to creep into our PAN details, with the most common ones being incorrect spellings, date of birth, change of communication address, etc. While these details might not seem serious, they could have an impact and it is advisable to correct them at the earliest. This can be done by using the same PAN application form as before and entering the appropriate information. The form should be filled completely and the boxes which require changes should be ticked (on the left margin). Once uploaded these corrections will be implemented and while the Permanent Account Number would remain the same, the corrections will reflect on other details.
A new PAN card with updated information will be given to the applicant, with the Permanent Account Number remaining the same.
Note: Only those boxes which require changes need to be ticked while filling the form.
Documents required to reprint / modify / update existing PAN details
Modifying any details in an existing PAN card or applying for a duplicate PAN in case of theft or loss requires an applicant to furnish documents supporting the application form. These documents vary, depending on whether it is an individual, firm, group or entity who is applying and the nationality of an applicant.
- Indian Individuals and Hindu Undivided Families – An Indian or HUF applying to modify or change the details in his/her PAN card should submit a copy of a valid government approved ID proof (Aadhar, Driving License, Passport, etc.), address proof (DL, utility bill, domicile certificate, etc.) and a proof of date of birth (Voter ID card, DL, passport, etc.). Individual applicants should also furnish two passport size photographs with their application.
- Companies/firms/partnerships with their office in India – Companies and other entities with their office in India should submit their registration copy issued by a competent authority as their ID and address proof in order to make changes in their PAN.
- Companies/firms/partnerships with office only outside India – Such entities who have no office in India should submit a copy of their registration certificate which has been issued in their country of location and duly attested by the Indian Embassy/High Commission or authorised officers. They will also have to furnish a copy of their registration certificate approved or issued by an Indian authority.
- Foreign citizens – Foreign citizens (either staying in India or abroad) are required to submit an ID and address proof to support their application. This can be either their passport, citizenship identification number, copy of PIO card, etc.
- Other foreign entities (other than individuals) – These entities should submit an ID and address proof which can be either their registration certificate (issued in the country of applicant) or by the Indian High Commission or Embassy in that country. A copy of the registration certificate approved by local Indian authorities is also required.
Required documents for PAN Card Corrections (Name, Address, DOB & Father’s name)
For Change Or Correction in PAN card details Like Name, Date Of Birth Or Father's Name, The Applicant Should Submit Supporting Documents Such As:
- In the case of name change after marriage, marriage certificate, wedding invitation card, publication of name change in a gazette, and a copy of passport showing spouse's name should be submitted.
- Individuals must submit proof of publication of name-change in gazette, companies must submit Registration Certificate for name change, partnership firms should submit revised partnership deed, and Limited Liability Partnership must submit ROC for name change.
- Change in date of birth for individuals and change of incorporation for companies should be supported with documents containing the correct date.
- The contact address mentioned in the application form will be updated in the Income Tax Department database.
Documents required to support changes in PAN Card details
Any changes in personal information on a PAN should be supported by relevant documents. The table below highlights the documents needed for a particular change request.
|Change request||Supporting documents|
|Change in name of individual||Name change certificate from a gazetted officer/name change publication in official gazette|
|Change in date of birth||ID proof with correct date of birth|
|Change in name of females (due to marriage)||Marriage certificate/invitation card/certified copy from gazetted officer|
|Change in name of company/firm||Certificate from registrar of Companies/updated partnership deed|
Any other changes require suitable documents supporting such a change.
How to Change / Correct Pan Card Address Online
With people moving to different cities or towns in pursuit of work, there is a high possibility of a change in address. PAN cardholders who need to update their communication address can do so by following a few simple steps.
- Fill up the form for New PAN or changes from the official website of TIN-NSDL. All the columns should be filled, ticking the box which mentions address for communication, typically found on the left margin.
- Mention whether the said address is of a residence or office.
- Updating an address can be done by mentioning the new address on a supplementary sheet and attaching it to the form.
- Submit relevant proof indicating change of address (utility bill, DL with new address, etc.)
- Submit the form with supporting documents to relevant authority.
Guidelines for filling PAN card correction form
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a 10-digit alphanumeric code assigned to all income taxpayers in India. Non-Indian nationals doing business in India can also apply for a PAN card. PAN card is mandatory for financial transactions such as opening a bank account, cash deposit of Rs.50,000 and above, and more importantly, to file income tax returns.
Step-by-step guidelines for how to fill pan card correction form
PAN card details may have to be changed or corrected in certain cases such as change of name or misspelled name. The applicant have to fill a PAN correction form to request the change in PAN details. The correction form can be filled and submitted online through the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) website.
- The PAN card correction form should be filled in English.
- Enter the 10-digit PAN number.
- Fill up all the mandatory fields with correct details.
- Name shouldn’t have any prefix such as Miss, Mr., Shri, etc.
- No abbreviations allowed such as Ltd, Pvt., etc. However, a Hindu United Family (HUF) applicant shall mention ‘HUF’ after his or her name.
- Father’s name should be entered, even in the case of married women applicants.
- Contact address with town, city, state, and PINCODE (country and zip code in the case of foreign address) should be entered. Mobile number and landline numbers should be provided with country code and ISD or STD code.
- If Aadhaar number is entered in the application form, then a copy of the applicant’s Aadhaar card has to be submitted along with other supporting documents to the NSDL.
- Check the left side column of the form where change or correction is required.
Processing Fees and charges associated with changes / corrections / updating / reissue of existing PAN
Individuals who are keen on reapplying for a duplicate PAN card or to make corrections to an existing one need to remember that this process is not free and a minimal amount will be charged. This amount depends on the communication address of an individual, with it being Rs.110 for communication within India and Rs.1,020 for outside India.These prices are inclusive of GST. Payment can be made via Demand Draft (in favour of 'NSDL - PAN' payable at Mumbai), net banking, credit card or debit card. Upon submission of the correction form, a 15-digit unique acknowledgement number will be issued along with the applicant's personal details. Save the acknowledgement form, print a copy, and send it to the NSDL office along with the necessary supporting documents.
The acknowledgement form should be duly signed and affixed with 2 recent colour photographs (3.5 cm X 2.5 cm). The acknowledgement form has to be mailed to NSDL within 15 days of submitting the application form online. Once your application has been processed, you will be issued a fresh PAN card with new details but the same Permanent Account Number.
How to check PAN card correction application status
In recent time, PAN or permanent account number has proved to be one of the most recognized identity proof in India. It is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity that is assigned to each taxpayer in the country by the Income Tax Department. The department does this under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes. It is compulsory for every tax payer to have a PAN card for making financial transaction like receiving salary or professional fees that is taxable, purchase or sale of assets above the fixed limits, buying of mutual funds, among others.
The main aim of PAN is to use a universal identification key to keep note of all the financial transactions that might have a taxable element to avoid evasion of tax. PAN remains the same irrespective of a change in address.
However, at times, PAN cards come with a misspelt name or a wrong address or even date of birth. In that case, the applicant must get the correction done as soon as possible.
FAQs - PAN Card Correction Form 2018
How to request for corrections in my PAN card details online?
Visit official website of TIN-NSDL and click on Apply for PAN online.
Under ‘Application Type’, choose "Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data" and fill all mandatory fields along with the corresponding boxes of the appropriate item where correction is required. For instance, if you need correction in your name, you need to check the corresponding box.
Know More about Pan Card Details
- Who can request for changes or correction in PAN data?
Only those who already have a PAN Card but wish to make changes or corrections in the existing data such as
- Wrongly spelt details
- Change in name following marriage for women or change in name for individuals for some other reasons
- Change in father’s name or date of birth
Yes, you have to pay processing fee while applying for corrections in your PAN card details. If your communication address is within India, the processing fee is Rs.110 and if it is outside India it is Rs.1020.
You have to submit the following documents while requesting for correction in PAN card details
- Copy of existing PAN card or PAN allotment letter
- Identity proof such as Aadhaar card, Elector’s photo identity card, driving license, passport, etc.
- Address proof
- Date of Birth proof such as Aadhaar, SSC certificate, Birth certificate, etc.
- Proof in support of requested changes, if any
- For women to change their surname following marriage, they can submit either a marriage certificate or wedding invitation card, copy of passport with husband’s name, certificate from gazetted officer
- Individual applicants with change in name for some other reasons can submit certificate from a gazetted officer or publication of name change in official gazette
- For change in date of birth, individuals can submit relevant proof with correct date of birth.
To request a new PAN card without any changes in the details is like requesting for reprint of PAN card, in case you have lost it.
You can choose the same option, "Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data", fill all the required fields but don’t tick any of the boxes for change.
Yes, you can get in both excel and pdf format and you can download latest correction form online.
List Of Pan Card Office in India 2018