Lost your PAN card? Left it safely at home, but you need it right now? If you’ve forgotten your PAN card number, or misplaced your PAN, you can easily find out this information online. The Income Tax Department has made PAN information available on its website. Any PAN holder can find out their PAN card number on the e-Filing website. You can also find out the address listed under your PAN number. The process is quick and easy.
Find out PAN Card Number
If you don’t know your PAN card number, you can find out this information on the e-filing website. You need to provide your name and date of birth.
Know PAN Number by Name and DOB
To know your PAN details by name and date of birth, follow this process
- Log on to the e-Filing website.
- Click on “Know Your PAN”.
- Provide the following details:
- Date of Birth or Date of incorporation in DD/MM/YYYY format
- Surname, middle name and first name.
- Enter the Captcha Code that is displayed onscreen.
- Click on submit.
The results that will be displayed will include the following
- Your PAN Card number
- Your First Name
- Your Middle Name
- Your Surname
- Remarks. This section will state whether your card is active, inactive or in any other status.
Find out details of PAN card on Income Tax Website
If you need to find out other details of your PAN card, you can do so through a slightly longer process. The details of your PAN including your address is available to you after you register on the Income Tax Department e-Filing website. Follow the process below:
- Go to the Income Tax Department e-Filing website.
- Click on “Register Yourself”.
- Select your user type as applicable and click on “Continue”.
- Provide your basic details.
- Fill up the Registration Form and click on “Submit”.
- An activation link will be sent to the email address provided by you. Click on this link to activate your account.
- Log in to your account on the e-Filing website.
- Select “Profile Settings”
- Select “My Account”.
- The following details will be displayed under “PAN details”:
- PAN number
- Name of Assessee
- Date of Birth
- Address of Assessee
- You can also view your address and contact details in separate tabs.
News About Know your PAN Card
14% increase in the number of taxpayers in Gujarat
The state of Gujarat recently witnessed a rise of 14.4% in the count of individual taxpayers in 2015-16 against that of 2014-15. The count that has gone up from 30,90,069 to 35,5,145 is touted to be a healthy increase. The number of people with PAN cards in Gujarat remains 1 crore.
However, it is unjustified to make a comparison between the number of taxpayers and PAN card holders because people earning below Rs.2.5 Lakh don't need to file I-T returns. Since PAN card is an important identity proof document, people get it but that doesn't go to show that all of them are taxpayers. The I-T department also needs to plan a system that would help them to keep their PAN card-related statistics updated. In a number of cases, it has been observed that a PAN card is considered to be active even after the demise of its holder.
Former chairman of the Ahmedabad chapter of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), Jainik Vakil, says that Gujarat remains more tax compliant compared to other Indian states because it is dominated by the business sector.
16th February 2017