PAN Card Cancellation Online
Having multiple PAN cards can lead an individual to pay a hefty amount as fine as well as can result in him/her being jailed. With the government making it mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN card, individuals and business entities who had more than one PAN card in their name have been compelled to cancel/surrender their additional PAN cards. As a result of this decision of the government, the ones who have more than one PAN card in their name are looking at ways of getting rid of the duplicate and additional PAN cards. So, what is the process that an individual needs to follow if he/she intends to cancel the duplicate/additional PAN cards in their name? Read on to find out more about the topic.
Pan Card Cancellation Application Form Online
When an individual looks to cancel the additional PAN cards in their name, he/she first needs to get hold of the PAN card cancellation form. The form is the same that an individual fills in while applying for a new PAN application or for correction on the existing PAN card. An individual can access this form either online or offline. To find the form, an applicant needs to first visit https://www.tin-nsdl.com/
Thereafter the individual needs to click on the ‘Apply for PAN Online’ option. On doing so, the applicant is redirected to a new page where the details asked for need to be provided and submitted. However, if an applicant wants to cancel the additional PAN card in his/her name offline, the form can be downloaded by clicking on the following link:
How to Cancel PAN Card
A PAN card can be cancelled by either of the two methods as listed below:
Cancel Your Pan Card Through Online
- An assessee should log on to the official website of the income tax department at http://incometax.sparshindia.com/pan/newPAN.asp and fill in the required details after reading the instructions provided for completing the online form.
- Alternatively, an assessee can fill out the ‘PAN Change Request’ application form. The PAN currently in use has to be mentioned on the top of the form. The additional PANs allotted should be listed in item no. 11 while the PAN card which has to be cancelled should be submitted along with the form.
Cancel Your Pan Card Through Offline
- An assessee should fill out form 49A for any making any corrections in his or her the PAN card. Form no.49A should be submitted at any NSDL TIN facilitation center
- An assessee can also write a letter to the assessing officer of the concerned jurisdiction and list out all pertinent details as listed below:
- Address of the assessee
- Name of the assessee
- Details of additional PAN card which has to be surrendered
- Specific details of the PAN card which has to be retained
- It is important to note that the assessee needs to have an acknowledgement copy of the letter. The acknowledge letter from the income tax department per se acts as proof that the additional PAN has been cancelled. In other words, the assessee does not have to contact the income tax department again for confirmation on cancellation of his duplicate or additional PAN.
How To Check Pan Cancellation Status
After filling up the form and submitting it for the cancellation of PAN, the next process is to know whether the status of the request. Here, we look how an applicant can check the status of their request. This is can be done by following the below mentioned steps:
- Visit the link https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Select ‘Know Your PAN/TAN/AO’ under the tab of Quick Links
- Fill in the details asked for like name, date of birth, gender and mobile number and click ‘Submit’
- On doing so, an OTP is sent on the mobile number provided.
- Enter the OTP and click ‘Validate’
- The status of the PAN card that the applicant has in his/her name is displayed in the next screen.
It needs to be mentioned here if the applicant who wants to know the status of PAN has multiple cards in his/her name than they may be asked to provide additional information.
Reasons for Cancellation or Surrender of a PAN card
An assessee with more than one PAN card has to surrender his or her additional PAN as holding more an additional PAN card will attract a penalty of Rs.10,000.
An assessee may choose to cancel a PAN card for the following reasons:
- Multiple PANs issued inadvertently by the income tax department
- In many cases, multiple PAN cards can be allotted to one assessee for the following reasons:
- An assessee can apply multiple times for a PAN card. Consequently, multiple PANs are issued against his name by the income tax department
- In some cases, the NSDL or the income tax department can mistakenly allot multiple PAN cards to one assessee
- PAN which is currently in use has to be cancelled owing to some errors in it
PAN Card Cancellation FAQs
- Can one cancel their existing PAN Card?
- On what circumstances can one cancel their PAN Card?
There is now way to cancel a PAN Card. Also, it is strongly advised not to cancel or surrender an existing PAN Card since it serves as a valid identity proof and is mandatory for any financial business and transactions. If, however, one wishes to cancel their existing PAN Card, they have to visit the Assessing Officer of their particular jurisdiction, and submit a letter requesting for the same.
- The assessee is moving out of the country permanently.
- The assessee has been mistakenly allotted more than one PAN card by the Income Tax Department of India.
- The existing PAN card of an individual contains any errors.
- In the event of death of an assessee, their immediate relatives can apply for cancellation of PAN to the Income Tax Department.
- For any company/ firm/ partnership, one can apply for PAN Card cancellation if they go out of business.
If under some unavoidable circumstances an individual has to cancel their PAN Card, they can do it by following either of these two methods:
- Online cancellation – To cancel a PAN card online, the assessee has to log on to the official website of the Income Tax Department of India and fill in an online form with necessary details by following the instructions mentioned in the form. In case, the individual has been allotted two PAN cards by mistake, they can proceed with the cancellation by filling in ‘PAN Change Request’ form. For such cases, they have to mention the PAN Card which is in use on top of the form and the additional one should be enlisted in item. The PAN Card which the assessee wants to cancel should be submitted along with the cancellation form.
- Offline cancellation – An individual can write a letter providing all necessary details to apply for PAN cancellation and submit it to the office of the assessing officer of the concerning jurisdiction. If the assessee wants to cancel duplicate PAN Cards, they should write a letter providing the details of the PAN card to be cancelled as well as the one that they want retain. It is important to keep a copy of the acknowledgement letter by the IT Department, which will act as a proof that the additional PAN has been submitted.
During the filing of tax returns, an assessing officer is responsible for the assessment of an assessee. For this purpose, Income Tax Department allots Assessing Officer Codes to the area of jurisdiction of the assessee to trace the range the specific IT return of the assessee. Assessing Officer Code is mandatory when applying or cancelling PAN Cards. To find out area-specific Assessing Officer Code of an individual, one has to visit the official portal of the IT Department and search for the code from the ‘Services’ tab.
If an assessee wants to cancel the PAN in order to apply for a new one, they can do it by filling up a request form that has to be submitted along with a demand draft or cheque of Rs.96 (Rs.85 for the application + 12.36% Service Tax) in favour of ‘NSDL-PAN’. The demand drafts should be payable at Mumbai while applicants can drop their cheques (drawn on any bank) with any HDFC branch across India.
No, one cannot cancel their PAN application and apply for a new one. Only if an assessee has been inadvertently allotted an additional PAN, can they make an application request to surrender/modify the additional one.
No, PAN card contains a ten digit alphanumeric number that is valid across the country. If a citizen has to shift his base within India, there is no need for them to cancel their existing PAN card.
In case an assessee has been inadvertently allotted more than one PAN card by the IT department of India, they can apply for a request to cancel the duplicate card. After satisfactory verification of the application by the Assessing Officer, the additional card would get cancelled.
No, if an assessee is working abroad with an employment visa and will resettle in India, they do not have to cancel their PAN during the tenure of stay outside the country.
It is not mandatory for Non Resident Indians to hold a PAN card. In the event where PAN is necessary, like purchasing a vehicle, they can apply for Form 60 which exempts them for proving a PAN Card.