PAN stands for Permanent Account Number. It is a 10-character alphanumeric number uniquely allotted to the PAN Card holder. It helps in identifying the PAN Card. holder or income tax payer. PAN Cards are required in case of receiving a taxable salary, or taxable professional fees, opening a bank account, purchase or sale of assets above the specified limit and so on. PAN cards serve as a Government issued identification that comes in handy everywhere you go.
Ways To Get Details Of PAN Card
Your PAN Card details are easily available through multiple avenues. To find out your PAN details using your PAN number, you can use Search PA. This service is provided to help cardholders to find out their PAN Card related details. It also helps people verify their PAN Card details. Search PAN is very easy to use. People can also search and verify bulk pan card numbers.
To search for your PAN Card details, follow these simple steps:
Search PAN Card Details by PAN Number
Step 1: Log onto Income Tax Department e-Filing website.
Step 2: Click on “Register Yourself” & Enter your PAN Card number
Step 3: Fill up the Registration Form and submit it.
Step 4: A link will be sent to your email address. Click on this link to activate your account.
Step 5: Visit https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/UserLogin/LoginHome.html to Enter your account and click on “My Account”.
Step 6: Go to Profile Settings and click on PAN Details
Step 7: Your details will be generated. You will receive the name, area code, jurisdiction, address and other information.
Search for the Address in your PAN Card
You can find out more details about your PAN card including your address by registering your PAN number on the Income Tax Department e-Filing website. To do this, you need to follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Go to the Income Tax Department e-Filing website (www.incometaxefiling.gov.in).
Step 2: Click on “Register Yourself”.
Step 3: Select the user type and click on “Continue”.
Step 4: You will need to enter your basic details.
Step 5: Fill up the Registration Form and submit it.
Step 6: A link will be sent to your email address. Click on this link to activate your account.
Step 7: Visit https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/UserLogin/LoginHome.html to Enter your account and click on “My Account”.
Step 8: Go to Profile Settings and click on PAN Details.
Step 9: Your address and other details will be displayed.
Search PAN Card Details by Name and Date of Birth
To search for PAN card details by name and date of birth, just follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Visit the Income Tax department’s official e-filing website
Step 2: Navigate to the section called ‘'Quick Links’'
Step 3: Click on ‘'Know Your PAN’'
Step 4: Enter your first name, middle name, surname, gender, date of birth, status, mobile number, etc.
Step 5: An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number linked to your PAN card
Step 6: Enter the OTP
Step 7: Click on ‘'Validate’'
Step 8: Enter your father’s name
Step 9: Click on ‘'Submit’'
How can I Change My Details In a Pan Card? How Long will It Take to Update?
The details in the PAN card can be changed by following the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Visit www.tin-nsdl.com.
Step 2: Select ‘PAN’ under the ‘Services’ tab.
Step 3: Click on ‘Apply’ under ‘Change/Correction in PAN Data’.
Step 4: Fill in the details and click on ‘Submit’.
Step 5: You will be redirected to a new page where you would be required to submit scanned images through e-Sign.
Step 6: Next, provide all the personal details asked for.
Step 7: Following that, provide the contact and address details.
Step 8: Thereafter, upload accepted proof of age, residence, identity, and PAN.
Step 9: Next, sign the declaration and click on ‘Submit’.
Step 10: Next, make the payment which can be done through demand draft, net banking or credit card or debit card.
Step 11: After successful payment, acknowledgement must be downloaded, printed and sent to NSDL e-Gov after affixing two photographs on the space provided and cross-signing it. All documents submitted also needs to be attached with the acknowledgement prior to sending it.
Once the request has been made for change/correction in the PAN card, the entire process takes a period of 15 to 20 days. Within the period, the new PAN card is received by the applicant with all the necessary rectifications made.
List Of Pan Card Office in India 2021
Update your PAN Address Through Aadhaar
In order to update the address details in the PAN by using the Aadhaar number, your mobile number and email ID must be linked to the Aadhaar. An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number and email ID to update the address. The procedure to update the address on the PAN is mentioned below:
Step 1:Visit https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserAddressUpdate.html.
Step 2:Enter the PAN number, Aadhaar number, email ID, and mobile number.
Step 3:Agree to the terms and conditions.
Step 4:Enter the captcha code.
Step 5:Click on ‘Submit’.
Step 6:Enter the OTP that is sent to the registered mobile number and email ID to complete the process.
Why PAN Card Details are Important
There are many reasons why it is important to have a valid PAN card today. Here are some of them:
- For employment: Almost all employers require your PAN card details for the purpose of salary accounting and taxation. This is required when deducting TDS, professional tax, etc. It is also mandatory at the time of filing of income tax returns.
- Proof of identity: PAN card is taken as a valid proof of identity and photo proof for a variety of purposes, ranging from opening a bank account to getting a gas connection
- Banking: A PAN card is mandatory when opening a bank account as well as for other banking-related financial transactions. This is required for all kinds of banks such as public, private, rural, and cooperative banks. This has been made mandatory in order to prevent money laundering.
Cash deposits that exceed Rs.50,000 in the course of a single day require PAN card details to be submitted. You also need PAN card details when opening a fixed deposit that exceeds Rs.50,000. This is because Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) will be deducted for the interest that such deposits accrue.
Currently, all existing bank accounts have to be linked to the account holder’s PAN card. In case PAN card is not available, Form 60 has to be furnished. The exception to this rule is for zero balance savings accounts and Basic Savings Bank Deposit Accounts (BSBDA). Accounts under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) are also exempt.
- Payment wallets: Any digital payment wallet requires PAN card details to be furnished if transactions exceed Rs.20,000 per month.
- Post Office Deposits: To open a deposit of more than Rs.50,000 at a post office, you would be required to furnish your PAN details.
- Loan applications: Any kind of loan application form requires PAN card details to be furnished. Applications that are rejected for want of PAN card details or any other details can negatively impact your credit score.
- Debit or credit card applications: PAN card details have to be furnished for credit and debit card applications as well. Applications that are rejected for want of PAN card details or any other details can negatively impact your credit score.
- Property transactions: PAN card details are required by law for any kind of property transactions by both the buyer and the seller if the value of the deal for the sale or purchase of an immovable property exceeds Rs.5 lakh. For joint ownerships, the PAN card details of both the owners are required.
- Purchase of jewelry: For any purchase of jewelry or bullion that exceeds Rs.5 lakh, PAN card details have to be furnished.
- Vehicle purchase: For the sale or purchase of all vehicles, with the exception of two wheelers, PAN card details are provided.
- Mutual funds: Investments in mutual funds, debentures, or bonds have to be completed with details of the PAN card data.
- Share trading: PAN card details have to be furnished to both the broker, and the demat and trading account provider when trading shares.
- Exchange of foreign currency: When exchanging local currency for foreign currencies, PAN card details are required for the transaction.
- Insurance premiums: If insurance premiums exceed Rs.50,000 in a financial year, PAN card details have to be furnished.
Link PAN Card to Bank Accounts Online
Eligibility for PAN Card
Given below is the list of entities that are required to have a PAN card:
- Individuals with income that exceeds the starting point of the income tax slabs
- Individuals with taxable income on behalf of others (such as earnings of a minor)
- Individuals with a profession or business with income or sale that exceeds Rs.5 lakh p.a.
- Charitable trusts required to file returns under Section 139 (4A)
- Importers or exporters who require an Import/Export code
- Individuals required to pay excise duty
- Individuals who receive payment after TDS is collected
- Individuals required to pay service tax and their agents
- Individuals who issue invoices under Rule 57AE
- Individuals registered under a general sales tax law of a union territory or state or the Central Sales Tax Act
- Anyone who conducts financial transactions that mandate furnishing of PAN card details
FAQ's on PAN Card Details
- How Can I Fill Pan Card Application Form With Surname As An Initial?
- Can I get a PAN card even if I am not required by law to have a card?
- Can I get a PAN card for my minor child?
- Do I need to furnish PAN card details if I am buying jewelry worth Rs.50,000 or more?
- How many days does it take for a correction to be made in the PAN card details after such a request has been submitted?
- Will my PAN card number change if I make a change in my name?
When applying for a PAN card, you cannot use an initial as the surname. The only facility provided to the applicants is that they can ask for only their surname to be printed on the PAN card. This can be done by providing only the surname in the application form while leaving the space provided for first and middle name blank.
Yes, anyone can voluntarily apply for a PAN card even if they are not required to do so under law.
Yes, a minor can get a PAN card if the application is made by a Representative Assesse on behalf of the applicant.
You only need to furnish PAN card details if the jewelry purchase value exceeds Rs.5 lakh.
It will take at least 15-20 days for the correction to be updated in the PAN card.
No, your PAN will remain the same even if there is a change in your name as it is a Permanent Account Number.
Get More Information About Pan Card: