A PAN card is an essential document for any Indian citizen for proof of identity and more importantly for all your tax purposes. The Income Tax Department of India has made PAN card applications easier over the years with the help of the internet.
The Income Tax department has assigned the National Securities Depositary Limited (NSDL) primarily for the application of PAN card online. Apart from this, UTI Infrastructure and Services Limited (UTIISL) has also been appointed by the IT Department for the application of PAN cards.
There are several agencies working on a district-level providing PAN cards for applications from accepting applications, processing them and then providing the customers with the card.
About PAN Card Application
How to Apply For a PAN Card?
Application of a PAN card can be done online as well as through offline methods. To apply for the card online, you can visit the official website of NSDL and fill in the required details. You can also visit the website of UTIIISL to do so. For offline application, you will be required to download the application form and submit it to the agency of your choice.
Online Process to Apply For a PAN Card
Here are the steps which need to be followed to apply for the PAN card:
Step-2 Click on the option 'Apply Online' on the top left corner since you are a new applicant.
- In the drop-down, you can select one from the three options which are:
- New PAN – Indian Citizen
- New PAN – Foreign Citizen
- Changes or Correction on Existing PAN/Re-print of PAN card.
Step-3 Once done, you will need to select the 'Category'. The category list includes options such as individual, company, an associate of individuals, Hindu Undivided Family, Trust, Limited Liability Partnership, local authority, etc.
Step-4 After choosing any one of the following options, you will need to fill in your details.
The information must be provided for these sections:
- Last name
- First name
- Middle name
- Date of Birth
- Email ID
- Phone number
Step-5 After providing the required information, you will have to re-type a captcha code and then click on 'Submit'.
Step-6 After submitting, the website provides you with a 15-digit acknowledgement number and the page must be printed.
Process to Apply For a PAN Card Offline
Here are the steps to follow in order to apply for a PAN card through offline methods:
Step-1 You will need to download the Form 49A from the official website of Income Tax Department of India or you can visit any of the Income Tax PAN service centre which is managed by UTIISL.
Step-2 Fill up the form with all the sections in the 8 pages.
Step-3 Once done, you will have to send a demand draft of Rs.107 including tax along with the application form.
- If the PAN application needs to be sent outside India, an additional amount of Rs.887 must be paid.
Step-4 The form must be sent along with a copy of your ID proof and address proof to - INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT (Managed by NSDL e-Governance, Infrastructure Limited), 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411 016.
How to Apply For a New PAN Card in Case of Loss?
In case, you have lost your PAN card, you can apply for a reissue of your card by visiting the NSDL website. From the main page, you can select the option of 'Reprint of PAN Card'. This can be opted if you already have a PAN card and number issued to you but have misplaced/lost the original copy of it.
To apply for the same, here are the steps which you need to take:
- Visit the website of NSDL.
- Click on the 'Apply Now' option under the option of 'Reprint of PAN Card'.
- You can either choose the 'Apply Now' or the 'Registered User' option if you are a registered member of NSDL.
- If you are a registered user, you need to enter your Temporary Token Number along with your e-mail ID, phone number, date of birth and the captcha code and click on 'submit'.
- Under the 'apply online' option, you will need to add your details such as first name, surname, application type and category along with your phone number, date of birth and e-mail ID.
- Once done, add the captcha code and click on 'submit'.
- A token number will be presented to you which must be kept for future references.
- You can then apply for the reprint of your PAN card online from the same page by entering the required details.
- Your PAN card can either be sent to your e-mail ID provided or a physical card will be sent to your address through post depending on what you choose.
Application For New PAN card for Indian, Foreign Citizens and for Making Changes or Corrections in Existing PAN Card
In order to apply for a new PAN card for India citizens, foreign citizens and for the reprint of existing PAN card, you can visit the official website of NDSL and fill up the Pan form.
Who Can Apply For a PAN Card?
Application of PAN card or a request for any kind of correction on PAN card can be done by any individual, trusts, corporate companies, organisations, local authorities, minors, senior citizens as well as governments.
Every tax-payer in the country needs to have a PAN card in order to make any financial transactions such as receiving a salary which is under the tax bracket, buying or investing in mutual funds. With your PAN card, all financial transactions are tracked and kept account of by the Income Tax Department.
Documents Required for Application of New / Modified / Reprint / Correction Of PAN
The documents which will be required for the application of PAN card in either of these categories should verify your identity, date of birth and address.
The application forms for all these categories can be found on the official website of NDSL and UTIITSL.
The following documents are required for the application:
- Aadhar Card
- Passport size photographs
- Acknowledgement letter (in case of new passport)
Things to keep in mind while applying for a new PAN card
There are a few things that should be kept in mind at the time of applying for a new PAN card. Some of the important factors are being listed below:
1. The personal details provided by you should match the details which are recorded on your documents which you have submitted.
2. Double check the address of residence before submitting the application.
3. Make sure that you provide your active email ID and mobile phone number.
4. You cannot apply for a new PAN card if you already have a PAN which has been issued to you previously. You have to place a request for a duplicate card if you have lost or misplaced your PAN card.
5. In case you are applying offline, make sure that you fill up Form 49A in block letter only.
6. Before you submit the Form 49A, make sure that your photograph is pinned to your application form.
7. In the case of online applications, make sure that the size of your photograph does not exceed 30 kb. The file should be in JPEG format and in square dimension (213*213).
8. In the case of online applications, make sure that the size of your scanned signature copy does not exceed 60 kb. The file should be in JPEG format.
9. For offline application, the signature or thumb impression of the applicant should go across the photo provided with the form.
10. In case of an application being submitted with thumb impression, the same has to be attested by a Magistrate or Gazetted Officer.
Fees and Charges for PAN Card
The fees and charges applied varies on the type of application which is filed with the Income Tax Department of India. For example, for application of a new PAN card, Rs.107 is the fee which needs to be paid in the form of a demand draft when applied online. This is for an Indian citizen.
Depending on your type of application for the card, if you are an Indian or a foreign citizen or if you have applied for changes to be made, the fees charged varies. A postal fee is also charged if you choose the option of card delivery to your address.
List Of Pan Card Office in India 2021
FAQs on PAN Card Application
- What will happen if I sent a cheque in place of demand draft to NSDL for PAN processing fee?
- What does 'PAN has been allotted by Income Tax department', 'Your PAN is under process' at NSDL mean?
- How long is a PAN valid after it is allotted?
- Can I get the information on my PAN card corrected?
- How can I get the information in my PAN database rectified?
- Can I apply for more than one PAN?
- Is it a punishable offence to hold more than one PAN card?
As NSDL accepts the payment of the requisite fees for PAN card application only through credit card/debit card/net banking or Demand Draft, on sending a cheque I believe the application will not be processed. The best thing to be done is to stick to the guidelines mentioned in the official website of Tax Information Network (TIN) and make the payment through the modes mentioned there. If the fee is paid through a Demand Draft, it should be drawn in favour of 'NSDL-PAN', that is payable at Mumbai. The Demand Draft must be sent to 'Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411016.
Both statements have different meanings. While 'Your PAN is under process' means that the PAN application has been accepted and is being processed, 'PAN has been allotted by Income Tax Department' means that the PAN card containing the 10-digit alphanumeric number has been allotted by the department and has been dispatched to the address mentioned in the application form.
A Permanent Account Number or PAN is valid for a lifetime. Once it has been issued to an user, it will be unaltered throughout his or her lifetime.
Yes, you can get the information corrected on your PAN card.
You can simply visit the official NSDL portal and login using your credentials to request the changes for your PAN.
No, you cannot hold more than one PAN. Only one PAN is allotted to each individual.
Yes, it is a punishable offence to hold more than one PAN card. In such cases, it invites a penalty of Rs.10,000 under Section 272 B of the Income Tax Act, 1961.