Driving Licence does not only allow you to legally drive your vehicle on the road but also acts as an important identity proof. In case your driving licence is stolen, lost or damaged, you can get a duplicate driving licence by contacting the RTO that issued your Licence. Also, some RTOs offer online facility using which you can file for duplicate driving licence.
About Duplicate Driving Licence
Do you remember all the troubles that you had to go through to get your beloved permanent driving licence? Early morning driving classes and taking the tough driving licence test? But, no matter how careful we may be in keeping our documents safe, sometimes they are misplaced or lost. What do we do if we lose our driving licences? Transport Offices across India offer duplicate driving Licences in case the holder has lost the original or if the original driving licence has been stolen.
In case you have lost your original driving licence or if it has been stolen or mutilated, you can get a duplicate driving licence from the same RTO that issued your driving licence. You can apply for a duplicate driving licence either online or directly at the RTO without any hassles. Read on to find more about applying for duplicate driving licence in India.
Documents Required for Duplicate Driving Licence
In case you wish to apply for a Duplicate Driver's Licence following the loss of your original driver licence, you will be required to submit the following documents for the purpose. The following list of documents is required to obtain a Duplicate driving licence. This list of documents may or may not vary for each state.
- Application Form LLD (for intimation of loss or destruction of driving licence and application for duplicate)
- A First Instance Report (FIR) or NCR of the licence, in case it is lost or stolen.
- Original Licence (if he same is in a torn, mutilated or soiled state).
- Attested photocopies of the original driver licence (in case the same is lost).
- Details of the Driving Licence
- Passport sized photographs
- Address Proof documents for reference
- Age proof documents for reference
Online Procedure to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence
Some state RTOs offer the feature to apply for a duplicate driving licence online. You can Google the same to see if that facility is offered by the State Transport Department on their website.
- You will have to completely fill and submit the LLD form. Also, you will have an Upload option where you will be able to upload all necessary documents.
- You will be required to take a printout of the completely filled form LLD. Attach photographs wherever necessary and sign the form.
- Handover the form at the RTO Office from where you originally got your Driving Licence from. Submit all necessary documents. You will not be required to take the Driving test again to get a duplicate licence.
- Once this is done, the duplicate driving licence will be sent to your registered home address via post. Also, you will be given a receipt which can be used in lieu of driving licence till you get your duplicate Driving Licence.
Offline Procedure to get a Duplicate Driving Licence
Applying for a Duplicate Driving Licence at the RTO is easier than online application if you stay close to the RTO that issued your original Driving Licence. Follow the steps given below to get your duplicate Driving Licence from the RTO without any hassles.
- Visit the RTO that issued your Driving licence. Procure a Form LLD which is for the application of duplicate driving licence. Fill the form completely and sign the form.
- Submit the form and attach all supporting documents as mentioned in the previous sections. Additional documents might be asked for depending on the reason of applying for a duplicate licence.
- You will be required to pay a nominal fee for getting your duplicate driving licence. Once this is done, you will get a receipt which can be used in place of a driving Licence till you get a duplicate licence. The duplicate driving licence will be sent to your registered home address via post.
Application Form for Duplicate Driving Licence
Being informed about the things that you will be required to present in the application form will help you get a duplicate driving licence without any hassles. You will be required to fill the form LLD for getting a duplicate licence. Given below are some of the information that will be asked in Form LLD.
- You will be required to enter the full name and address as it was mentioned in the driving licence.
- In the Form LLD, you will have to mention the reason of applying for a duplicate driving licence. If the Licence was destroyed, torn, lost, defaced or mutilated, you must mention in what circumstances the loss happened.
- Also, you will be required to enter the driving licence number, class of motor vehicle for which the driving licence was held, name of driving licence holder, licensing authority and the expiry date of the Licence.
- You must also present a declaration that your Driving Licence was not impounded by any authority.
- Once you have entered all the information, you should sign the application and enter the place and date. Also, you must also sign in the place provided for specimen signature.
- If you choose to fill the form online, you can reset or save the information which will be a big benefit. Also,you will receive a copy of the form in PDF format which you can print out and submit at the RTO after signing.
FAQs on Duplicate Driving Licence
What is the validity of my duplicate driving licence?
The validity of your duplicate driving licence will be the same as your original driving licence. Remember, you are not renewing or correcting your licence by applying for a duplicate driving licence. The information in your duplicate driving licence will be the same as in your original licence.
I got my driving licence in hyderabad which was stolen recently. Can I apply for a duplicate driving licence at the Bangalore RTO?
No, you will have to apply for a duplicate driving licence only at the RTO which issued your Driving Licence previously.
Under what circumstances will a duplicate driving licence be issued?
Generally, a duplicate driving licence will be issued under the following circumstances.
- If the photograph affixed to the driving licence requires a replacement
- If the driving Licence is destroyed or stolen
- If the driving Licence is torn completely or is defaced
Will I be required to undergo driving test again if I apply for a duplicate driving Licence?
No, if you driving Licence has not expired, you will not be required to undergo a driving test to get your duplicate driving licence.
I have lost my Learner Licence. Can I apply for a duplicate driving licence?
No, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence only if you have held a permanent driving licence that has been recently stolen, lost or damaged. You will be required to apply again for a LLR if you have lost it. Some state RTOs also give duplicate Learner Licence.