What is FASTag?
A device that uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to deduct your toll charges automatically from a prepaid account without you having to stop for cash transaction at the toll plaza is known as FASTag. In simple terms, it is a reloadable tag that is affixed to the windscreen of your vehicle post the activation of your tag account. Presently, FASTag is operational at 240 toll plazas across state and national highways. FASTag is valid till 5 years and you can recharge or top up your FASTag according to your requirement.
How FASTag Works?
When your vehicle passes through the toll plaza, the tag reader at the toll plaza will read the FASTag affixed to your vehicle’s windscreen and deduct the toll amount automatically from your FASTag account. As stated before, you do not have to stop at the plaza for paying the toll amount. You will receive an SMS alert on your registered mobile number for all the transactions that you do on your tag account.
Technology of FASTag Used in Toll Plazas of Indian Highways
FASTag uses the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology which, in turn, utilises radio frequency waves to transfer data. Inventory and assets can be tracked and identified automatically when items are tagged with RFID tags which in this case is the FASTag. FASTag has been launched by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) under the Electronic Toll Collection program.
Why is FASTag important in India?
With the use of FASTag, the magnitude of digital transactions in India will be augmented. It will also aid in the reduction of paper money handling. There will no longer be long queues and time wastage while waiting to make cash payments at the toll plazas. Shorter waiting times and queues will, consequently, lead to the reduction of air pollution. FASTag will also help the government in easy identification of vehicles.
In India, FASTag has been made mandatory on national highways for toll payments from 15 December 2019. If there is no FASTag on your vehicle but you get into the FASTag lane, you will have to pay double the toll amount.
Benefits of using FASTag
Perhaps, one of the greatest benefits that FASTag offers is that you do not have to wait long at the toll plazas to make your toll payments. The other benefits that FASTag offers have been listed below:
- Saves time and fuel – Since you do not have to make cash payments or wait in long queues at the toll plaza, a lot of time and fuel will be saved. Almost non-stop movement of vehicles results in lowered fuel costs.
- Ease of recharging – Recharging your FASTag account is easy and can be done online through Netbanking, Debit Card/ Credit Card, and RTGS/NEFT.
- Get notifications of transactions – Each time you carry out a transaction using the FASTag, you will receive regular SMS alerts on your registered mobile number. You will also be notified when your FASTag account has a low balance.
- Environmental and social benefits – FASTag leads to reduced paper usage and air pollution thereby helping in environmental protection. The social benefits of FASTag are the reduced hassles in toll payments and better highway management through by using analytics.
How to Recharge Your FASTag Account
You can recharge your FASTag account by following the steps mentioned on the website of the respective FASTag issuing agency. For instance, to recharge your FASTag account online through the Axis Bank website, you can follow the below-given steps:
- Step 1: Visit the website - https://etc.axisbank.co.in/ETC/
- Step 2: On the right-hand side of the page, select ‘Retail Road Users’ from the drop-down and then click on the ‘Login’ button.
- Step 3: Click on the ‘Recharge’ button under the ‘Payment and Top Up’ tab which you will find under the ‘Road User Center’ button.
The payment for recharging your FASTag account can be done through cheque or Netbanking or Debit/Credit Card/RTGS/NEFT. The maximum amount for which you can recharge your FASTag account is Rs.1 lakh.
How to Check Your FASTag Balance?
You can check the balance on your FASTag account by visiting the website of the FASTag issuing bank/agency. Besides this, you will always get an SMS alert on your registered mobile number for every toll transaction.
Is FASTag mandatory?
Yes, FASTag has been made mandatory in India since 15 December 2019 for toll payment on national highways.
FASTag Joining Fee and Charges
To get a FASTag, you will need to pay a joining fee and a refundable one-time deposit which will vary with the vehicle class. Once you get the FASTag, corresponding charges will apply while reloading the FASTag wallet. In instances where your FASTag is lost or damaged, re-issuance charges will apply on the second FASTag.
Please note that according to your vehicle class, you will have to maintain a minimum threshold which is the minimum recharge amount that you must do during tag activation.
The FASTag Charges have been listed below:
The one-time tag deposit amount for FASTag has been listed below:
|Vehicle Class||Description||Threshold Amount||Tag Colour||Tag Deposit|
|4||Tata Ace and similar mini light commercial vehicle||Rs.100||Violet||Rs.200|
|5||Minibus/light commercial vehicle||Rs.140||Orange||Rs.300|
|6||Bus 3 Axle||Rs.300||Yellow||Rs.400|
|6||Truck 3 Axle||Rs.300||Yellow||Rs.500|
|7||Truck 2 Axle/Bus 2 Axle||Rs.300||Green||Rs.400|
|12||Truck 4,5,6 Axle/Tractor/Tractor with trailer||Rs.300||Pink||Rs.500|
|15||Truck 7 Axle and above||Rs.300||Blue||Rs.500|
|16||Earth Moving/Heavy Construction Machinery||Rs.300||Black||Rs.500|
Step-by-step Procedure to Buy FASTag Online in India
You can buy a FASTag online on the official website of the issuer agency or the participating bank. The steps to buying a FASTag online will vary from issuer to issuer but in all cases, you will be asked to enter your personal details such as name, address, email ID, etc. and the details of your vehicle. Once you fill in all the details, you will be asked to upload your ID proof and make the payment.
Alternatively, you can also get your FASTag account created at any Point of Sale (POS) locations at the toll plazas or issuer agency.
Documents Required to Apply for FASTag
You need to submit the below-given documents for obtaining a FASTag:
- Vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC)
- Know-Your-Customer (KYC) documents according to whether the vehicle owner is an individual or corporate
- Passport size photo of the vehicle owner
Individuals can submit any of the following documents as ID and address proof:
- Driving License
- Aadhar Card
- Voter ID
- PAN Card
Corporates will need to visit the website of the issuer agency or participating bank for the list of documents to be submitted for FASTag.
List of All the Banks That Will Issue a FASTag
Below we have provided a list of banks that will issue a FASTag, along with their helpline numbers:
|Name of the Bank||Helpline Number|
|State Bank of India||1800-11-0018|
|Equitas Small Finance Bank||1800-419-1996|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||1800-419-6606|
|Karur Vysya Bank||1800-102-1916|
|Paytm Payments Bank Limited||1800-102-6480|
|Punjab National Bank||080-67295310|
|South Indian Bank||1800-425-1809|
|City Union Bank||1800-2587200|
|Punjab & Maharashtra Co-Op Bank||1800-223-993|
|Fino Payments Bank||1860-266-3466|
|Bank of Baroda||1800-1034568|
|Nagpur Nagarik Sahakari Bank Limited||1800-2667183|
Key Points to Remember
- You will need to pay a one-time tag joining fee of Rs.200 that will be levied by the FASTag issuer.
- You will also have to pay a refundable deposit. This will be based on the type of vehicle you have at the time of the FASTag being issued.
- The deposit amount will be refunded when you close your FASTag account.
- You cannot use the same FASTag for two or more vehicles, and have to buy two separate FASTags.
- The IHMCL website has stated that if you stay within a range of 10 km from a toll plaza, you will get a concession on your toll amount if you pay via FASTag.
Frequently Asked Questions on FASTag
- I wish to surrender my FASTag. How do I do that and receive the loaded amount back?
If you wish to surrender your FASTag, you can get in touch with the customer care of the issuer bank who will guide you on the complete procedure of surrendering your FASTag and get the loaded amount back.
- What procedure do I follow when I sell my car or purchase a pre-owned with a FASTag?
Before you sell your car bearing a FASTag, ensure that you remove the FASTag and close its associated wallet. When you purchase a pre-owned car with a FASTag, you should remove the existing tag and get a new FASTag with your name.
- Is FASTag available for two-wheelers too?
No. Presently, FASTag is issued only for four-wheelers and not for two-wheelers.
What is ‘One Nation One Tag?
The ‘One Nation One Tag – FASTag' is a scheme launched by the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to ensure a unified electronic system across India. The aim of the scheme is to integrate toll collection digitally so that all vehicles across India enjoy seamless mobility.
- In the case of roundtrips, how does FASTag work?
Single trips and round trips attract different toll charges which may vary from toll to toll. A round trip is when you pass a specific toll plaza two times within a specific time frame. When you take a round trip and cross the same toll plaza the second time, you will be charged half of the first trip. This means that if you have paid Rs.30 the first time you crossed the toll, you will be charged Rs.15 the second time you cross the same toll, making the cost of the round trip Rs.45.
On which roads or highways can FASTag be used?
Currently, FASTag is functional at more than 520 toll plazas across National and State Highways. You can find the list of toll plazas that are fitted with FASTag readers on the website of the issuer agency.
- How do I cross the toll is the Electronic Toll Collection equipment is not working?
If the equipment at the toll plaza does not work you can cross the toll by paying the toll amount in cash. You can also contact the customer care and report the issue to them.
- How do I block FASTag if my vehicle is lost?
If you have lost your vehicle bearing the FASTag, you will need to call the customer care number of the respective issuing agency and get your FASTag blocked.
- Do local/frequent visitors get any concession for using FASTag?
If you stay within 10km from a toll plaza, you can claim a concession on the FASTag that has been assigned to your vehicle. To claim the concession, you will have to submit the required documents at the Point of Sale (POS) locations.
- How do I check if the correct user fee has been deducted from my FASTag wallet?
Every time you make a FASTag transaction at a toll, you will receive an SMS alert on your registered mobile number. However, if for any reason, you do not receive the SMS alert, you can check for the details of the transaction on the website of the FASTag issuing agency/bank.