The National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) makes it possible to collect toll tax seamlessly across the country through the use of the FASTag system. This enables quicker transition of vehicles through toll booths without the need for cash collection. The toll fee gets auto-debited with the help of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology. The FASTag sticker is applied on the front windscreen of all four-wheeler vehicles to make scanning easier. Since this has been made mandatory by the government, it is necessary to apply for a FASTag. You can do this easily through Central Bank of India.
Here are the major features of the FASTag:
- One FASTag can only be used for one vehicle which means you will need separate FASTags if you have more than one vehicle.
- It can be used across the country at any toll plaza
- It has a validity of 5 years
- You can recharge the FASTag as per your requirements with a minimum recharge of Rs.100
- You can recharge your FASTag through multiple payment modes online such as through debit cards, net banking, credit cards, UPI, etc.
FASTag has many benefits, some of which are:
- Reduces traffic congestion and time spent in toll plazas
- Online recharge on a 24x7 basis
- Payment through multiple modes such as credit card, debit card, net banking, UPI, etc.
- Cashless payments at toll plazas without having to keep exact change
- Mobile alerts through SMS on the registered mobile number each time money is deducted from the FASTag account
- Mobile alerts through SMS when balance is low so you won't forget to recharge
Buying a FASTag
You can buy FASTag from private or nationalised banks that are given the facility to provide a FASTag account. They are also available at Point of Sale (POS) counters at toll plazas itself. FASTag is also available from the automobile company during the time of buying a new four-wheeler.
Central Bank of India offers FASTag facility for purchase and recharge. All you have to do is:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the bank
- Step 2: click on ''Apply FASTag''
- Step 3: You will be redirected to a new page wherein you have to select ''New Customer FASTag Registration''
- Step 4: Provide the required details and upload the required documents
- Step 5: Make the payment required
- Step 6: Complete the registration process
Documents Required for FASTag Application
Here is the list of documents you will have to submit at the time of your FASTag application:
- Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle for which FASTag is required
- KYC document such as Aadhaar, driving licence, voter ID, passport, or PAN
- Passport-size photograph of vehicle owner
How to Recharge Central Bank Fastag
To recharge your Central Bank FASTag, all you have to do is log into your FASTag account on the Central Bank website using your login credentials. You can also select the ''Monthly Pass'' option which has a list of toll plazas.
How FASTag Works at the Toll Plaza
When you enter a toll plaza, this is what happens:
- The RFID reader in the toll plaza lane detects the FASTag on your car
- The required amount is automatically deducted from your FASTag wallet
- A confirmation of the amount deducted is sent to your registered email address and mobile number
- The signal will turn green once the amount has been deducted and you can pass through the toll plaza
Central Bank of India FASTag FAQs
- Is it possible to change the registered mobile number linked to my FASTag account?
No, it is not possible to change the mobile number that is linked to the FASTag account.
- Is it possible to change the FASTag account from one bank to another?
Yes, it is possible to change the bank in your FASTag account. This can be done easily using the Paytm mobile application.
- Should I close the FASTag account or transfer it if I am selling my vehicle?
You should close your FASTag account by contacting the issuing bank if you are selling or transferring your vehicle's ownership.
- What should I do if my FASTag gets blacklisted?
A FASTag is usually blacklisted if you have passed through a toll plaza and there is no money in your FASTag wallet. The blacklisting is valid for up to 48 hours. You can get it reactivated by contacting the NHAI customer care helpline number (1033).
- What should I do if my FASTag doesn't get detected?
At times like this, you can contact the NHAI customer care helpline. You can also try backing up your vehicle and driving it forward in front of the scanner so that it is detected. If this also does not work, there is an option to get the FASTag scanned using a handheld RFID reader will be present with the toll plaza officials.