The New Income Tax Portal was launched on 20 May 2021 with a new design that offers better convenience to taxpayers. All tax-related tasks can be completed on the new portal.
What is E-Filing Portal?
Taxpayers use the e-filing portal in order to file their Income Tax Returns (ITR). Apart from filing the ITR, the portal can be used to seek refunds and raise complaints. The Income Tax Department uses the portal to receive responses from taxpayers regarding any queries. All communication regarding penalties, exemption, and appeals is done on the portal as well.
New Income Tax Portal
On 20 May 2021, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) launched the new income tax portal (https://www.incometax.gov.in/). The new e-filing portal will be available from 7 June 2021. Filing of ITR and completion of other tasks that are related to tax must be done on the new portal. The portal comes with a new design and helps in completing all tax-related tasks in a seamless manner.
How to Use the New Income Tax Portal
Given below are the steps on how to use the new income tax portal:
- On the homepage, you can view the respective tab to find out how to check the refund, deductions, applicable forms, and the process to file the ITR. The tabs can be found at the top of the page.
- You can scroll down to view services such as ITR status, refund status, linking of Aadhaar, and e-verification.
- At the bottom of the page, you can find videos that will help you know more about the website. User manuals and FAQs are also provided.
In case you wish to avail the services of the portal, the registration process must be completed. Once you complete the registration process and log in, you will have access to the below-mentioned services:
- Refund/ reissue and rectification services.
- You can explore the e-return intermediary.
- You can fill the relevant forms and file your tax returns.
- Unfinished proceedings can be completed and complaints can be made.
Steps to Link PAN and Aadhaar Card in New Income Tax Portal
The procedure to link the PAN and Aadhaar on the new income tax portal is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Visit https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/.
- Step 2: Under the ‘Our Services’ section, you will find the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option, click on it.
- Step 3: On the next page, enter the PAN, Aadhaar number, name (as mentioned on Aadhaar), and mobile number.
- Step 4: Agree to the terms and conditions and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Step 5: An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Step 6: Enter the OTP to complete the process.
Benefits and Features of the New Income Tax Portal
The main features and benefits of the new income tax portal are mentioned below:
- Mobile App: A mobile application will be enabled, where all the main functions will be present. The app can be accessed by taxpayers at any given time.
- Several Payment Options: In order to ensure that the taxes can be paid easily, several payment options such as net banking, UPI, credit card, and NEFT/RTGS will be introduced in the new portal.
- Single Dashboard: All pending actions, uploads, and interactions will be present in the dashboard. A follow-up action will also be present in the dashboard.
- Assistance: In case the taxpayer has any queries, assistance will be provided via chatbot, tutorials, FAQs, and videos. Immediate response will be provided in the case of any queries.
- ITR Preparation Software: An online and offline ITR preparation software will be available free of cost. Taxpayers who do not have any knowledge of tax or pre-filing can get help via the interactive questions that are present in the portal.
- ITR Filing: The ITR will be processed immediately on the new income tax portal. Since the returns are processed fast, taxpayers will receive the refunds quickly as well.
Income Tax e-Filing Portal – Existing Features
The existing e-filing portal (http://www.incometaxidiaefiling.gov.in/) was launched by the Income Tax Department. Some of the main features of the current e-filing portal are mentioned below:
- Filing of ITR
- Response can be provided to e-proceedings
- Grievances can be lodged online
- The Aadhaar and Permanent Account Number (PAN) can be linked
- Any change in ITR particulars can be requested online
- Intimations can be requested
- Re-issue of refunds can be requested
- Any mismatch in tax credit can be viewed
- Form 26AS (tax credit statement) can be viewed
- Audit reports can be filed
- In the case of any income tax demand that is outstanding, responses can be given
- E-verification of ITR can be completed
The portal is accessed by the Income Tax Department to view the ITR that has been uploaded. The Income Tax Department uses the portal to process the returns, provide communication in the case of penalties, receive responses, and issue notices.