Using challan 280 you can now pay your income tax online, on the income tax website. You don’t need to rely on your Chartered Accountant, or any other sources to pay your income tax for you. Since many employers pay the income tax on behalf of their employees, since most of the salaried class does not have the need to pay additional taxes.
So What is the Challan 280? How can you Use it to Pay your Income Tax?
The form you will be required to use to pay your income tax, is called the challan 280. You will be required to fill in the details in the form, and this filled form can be used either online or offline at a bank to pay your income taxes.
Online method of using Challan 280
The Challan 280 can be filled up online and the tax e-payment can be made by following the steps mentioned below:
Step – 1: Visit the official website at https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp
Step – 2: On the e-payment page, scroll down towards the end of the page and click on the ‘CHALLAN NO. / ITNS 280’ option.
Step – 3: You will be redirected to a new webpage with the head ‘e-Payment’.
Step – 4: This is the Challan 280 which will be required to be filled up with details such as the ‘Tax Applicable’, the Permanent Account Number (PAN), the assessment year, and so on.
Step – 5: In case you are paying Corporation Tax, check the box next to the ‘(0020) Corporatin Tax (Companies)’ option.
Step – 6: In case you are paying the Income Tax, check the box next to the ‘(0021) Income Tax (Other than Companies)’ option.
Step – 7: Fill up the Permanent Account Number (PAN) and the Assessment Year from the drop-down box.
Step – 8: The name will be auto-generated by the portal. However, you will be required to fill up the details pertaining to the address, state, pin code, e-mail ID, and mobile phone number.
Step – 9: In the next section, you will be required to select the type of tax payment from a list of 6 options marked with codes 100 for Advance Tax, 102 for Surtax, 300 for Self-Assessment Tax, 106 for Tax on Distributed Profit, 400 for Tax on Regular Assessment, and 107 for Tax on Distributed Income.
Step – 10: In this step, you will be required to select the mode of payment. You can make the payment using internet banking or a debit card. Select the viable option and select the bank name from the drop-down box next to the selected option.
Step – 11: Once the above-mentioned steps are completed, you will be required to fill up the field provided for the Captcha code.
Step – 12: Click on proceed and make the payment on the next page.
Download Challan 280 (Offline)
The Challan 280 can be downloaded from the internet by following the steps which are mentioned below:
- Step – 1: Visit the official website of Income Tax India at www.incometaxindia.gov.in.
- Step – 2: On the home page, click on the ‘Forms/Downloads’ option from the top menu.
- Step – 3: Click on the ‘Challans’ option under the ‘Forms/Downloads’ menu.
- Step – 4: You will be redirected to a new webpage with a list of all the downloadable Challans.
- Step – 5: From this list click on the ‘ITNS-280‘ which is located at the top of the list.
- Step – 6: The Challan 280 and all other Challans are available in 2 different formats – a PDF format and a Fillable Form. Click on the feasible option and download the form.
Proof of Payment of Tax
After the remittance of the tax amount, a counterfoil of the challan is generated. This counterfoil contains certain details such as the Challan Identification Number or CIN, the date of payment of tax, the amount of tax paid, and so on. The CIN is generated in the form of an acknowledgement for the tax amount that has been paid. The CIN should be saved for future references, especially when filing Income Tax Returns (ITR). An individual can also get in touch with his/her bank in case he/she wants to get the challan counterfoil regenerated.
The following information is furnished on the CIN:
- Serial number of the Challan
- 7-digit BSR code of the branch of the bank where the tax has been deposited
- Date on which the remittance is made
Verification of Challan Tax Payment
The Income Tax Department (ITD) offers the facility of verifying the status of the challans that are generated for an assessee. Verifying the challan also confirms the status of the same. An assessee can also log in to the NSDL website and verify the status of the payment that he/she has made. The status of the challan can be verified in one of the two manners mentioned below:
- CIN based view: An assessee can provide the details like Challan Identification Number (CIN), Challan tender date, the BSR code of the branch of the bank where the payment has been made, and the serial number of the challan to track the status of the challans. The assessee can also check whether the amount of tax paid is correct by specifying the actual amount which they have paid.
- TAN based view : An assessee can provide the details pertaining to the Tax Deduction and Collection Number or TAN and the challan tender date to view the details of his/her Challan Identification Number (CIN). In addition to this, the assessee can also specify the amount against a particular CIN which will validate the amount uploaded by the bank.
Correction of details
An assessee can make a request to make changes in the challan payment information in case he/she feels the need to rectify some information which is wrong. While correcting, the following fields can be changed:
- Assessment Year
- Tax Deduction and Collection Number (TAN) or Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Nature of the payment
- Major Head Code and Minor Head Code
- The total amount
These changes can be made by the concerned banks. The banks get a period of 7 days from the day of deposit of the challan to make the changes related to the TAN and PAN, the assessment year, and the total amount. On the other hand, they get a period of 3 months to make changes in the other fields such as the challan deposit date, the Major Head Code, the Minor Head Code, and the nature of the payment.income tax.
Challan 280 FAQs
- What kind of income tax payments can Challan 280 be used?
- What are the ways through which I can make income tax payments?
- What do I do if I have any problems with making income tax payments?
- How can I check my challan’s status online?
Challan 280 can be used for income tax payments like advance tax, self-assessment tax, surcharge, regular assessment tax, and tax on distributed profits or distributed income.
Income tax payments can be made either online or offline. To pay income tax online, you will have to visit the TIN NSDL website. To pay income tax online, you will have to deposit it into a designated bank branch through demand draft, cheque or cash.
In case you have any issues on the NSDL website when entering non-financial information, you will have to get in touch with the call centre at 1800-222-080.
You will have to enter details like Challan Identification Number, challan serial number, challan tender date and the bank’s BSR code to track your challan’s status online. In case you enter the tax amount you have paid, you can also get to know if you have entered the correct amount or not.