Challan 280 is a form available on the official website of Income Tax India. This challan can be used to make online payment of income tax. The challan can be filed online or can be submitted offline as well to pay the tax.
What is the Challan 280? How to Use to pay Income Tax?
Using challan 280 you can now pay your income tax online on the income tax website. You don’t need to rely on your Chartered Accountant or any other sources to pay your income tax for you. Many employers pay the income tax on behalf of their employees since most of the salaried class may not have to pay additional taxes. You will be required to fill in the details in the form. The duly filled up form can be used either online or offline at a bank to pay your income tax.
Step-by-step process for Online Tax Payment using Challan 280
- Step 1: Visit the official website of NSDL at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/
- Step 2: On the main page, click on the ‘Services’ tab to get the drop-down list.
- Step 3: Select the ‘e-payment: Pay Taxes Online’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: You will be directed to the ‘e-Payment of Taxes’ page. Alternately, you can go to the ‘Pay Taxes Online’ box present on the right side of the main page of the website and choose ‘Click to pay tax online’ to directly access the ‘e-Payment of Taxes’ page.
- Step 5: Choose ‘Challan No./ITNS 280’ from the options and click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Step 6: In the next page, you can view the challan which is required to be filled up with details such as applicable tax, the Permanent Account Number (PAN), the assessment year, and so on.
- Step 7: Select ‘(0021) Income Tax (Other than Companies)’ option for paying income tax. The other option ‘(0020) Corporation Tax (Companies)’ will be applicable to companies for paying corporation tax.
- Step 8: Next, select the correct ‘Type of Payment’ from the given options including - (100) Advance Tax, (102) Surtax, (106) Tax on Distributed Profit, (107) Tax on Distributed Income., (300) Self-Assessment Tax, and (400) Tax on Regular Assessment.
- Step 9: Then, choose the mode of payment. The payment can either be made using ‘Net Banking’ or through ‘Debit Card’. Once you select the convenient option, click the bank name from the drop-down menu next to the selected option.
- Step 10: Next, enter your PAN details and the relevant Assessment Year from the drop-down box. Note that the relevant assessment year for the period of 1 April 2018 - 31 March 2019 is 2019-20.
- Step 11: In the next step, you will be required to fill up the details related to your address, district, state, pin code, e-mail ID, and mobile phone number.
- Step 12: Then enter the ‘Captcha Code’ appearing on the screen in the field provided.
- Step 13: Click on the ‘Proceed’ option and this will lead you to the ‘e-Payment page’ where you can make the payment of the income tax that you are liable to.
Download Challan 280 (Offline)
The Challan 280 can be downloaded from the internet by following the steps which are mentioned below:
- Step – 1: Visit the official website of Income Tax India at www.incometaxindia.gov.in.
- Step – 2: On the home page, click on the ‘Forms/Downloads’ option from the top menu.
- Step – 3: Click on the ‘Challans’ option under the ‘Forms/Downloads’ menu.
- Step – 4: You will be redirected to a new webpage with a list of all the downloadable Challans.
- Step – 5: From this list click on the ‘ITNS-280‘ which is located at the top of the list.
- Step – 6: The Challan 280 and all other Challans are available in 2 different formats – a PDF format and a Fillable Form. Click on the feasible option and download the form.
Proof of Payment of Tax
After the remittance of the tax amount, a counterfoil of the challan is generated. This counterfoil contains certain details such as the Challan Identification Number or CIN, the date of payment of tax, the amount of tax paid, and so on. The CIN is generated in the form of an acknowledgement for the tax amount that has been paid. The CIN should be saved for future references, especially when filing Income Tax Returns (ITR). An individual can also get in touch with his/her bank in case he/she wants to get the challan counterfoil regenerated.
The following information is furnished on the CIN:
- Serial number of the Challan
- 7-digit BSR code of the branch of the bank where the tax has been deposited
- Date on which the remittance is made
Verification of Challan Tax Payment
The Income Tax Department (ITD) offers the facility of verifying the status of the challans that are generated for an assessee. Verifying the challan also confirms the status of the same. An assessee can also log in to the NSDL website and verify the status of the payment that he/she has made. The status of the challan can be verified in one of the two manners mentioned below:
- CIN based view: An assessee can provide the details like Challan Identification Number (CIN), Challan tender date, the BSR code of the branch of the bank where the payment has been made, and the serial number of the challan to track the status of the challans. The assessee can also check whether the amount of tax paid is correct by specifying the actual amount which they have paid.
- TAN based view : An assessee can provide the details pertaining to the Tax Deduction and Collection Number or TAN and the challan tender date to view the details of his/her Challan Identification Number (CIN). In addition to this, the assessee can also specify the amount against a particular CIN which will validate the amount uploaded by the bank.
Correction of details
An assessee can make a request to make changes in the challan payment information in case he/she feels the need to rectify some information which is wrong. While correcting, the following fields can be changed:
- Assessment Year
- Tax Deduction and Collection Number (TAN) or Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Nature of the payment
- Major Head Code and Minor Head Code
- The total amount
These changes can be made by the concerned banks. The banks get a period of 7 days from the day of deposit of the challan to make the changes related to the TAN and PAN, the assessment year, and the total amount. On the other hand, they get a period of 3 months to make changes in the other fields such as the challan deposit date, the Major Head Code, the Minor Head Code, and the nature of the payment.
Correction of Wrong Assessment Year When Making Income Tax Payments
Assessment year is the year in which your taxes are assessed. So, it will be the year that follows the year for which you are paying your taxes.
Follow the steps given below if you have made a mistake in selecting the correct assessment year:
- When you file your IT returns, mention the payment details even if you have chosen the wrong assessment year
- Request the error in the challan to be corrected by the office of the jurisdictional assessing officer. This can be found on the Income Tax Department’s e-filing website.
- You can request the correction to be made in the challan by the bank itself, if you have detected the mistake within 7 days of making the deposit.
- A notice will be sent by the Assessing Officer (AO) after processing your returns since the payment details will not match the records.
- Respond to the notice with details of the error
- Under Section 154, you can submit a rectification of the error.
- The AO can make the required corrections in your challan if your rectification request has been verified as accurate and genuine. This will then be closed.
Challan 280 FAQs
- What kind of income tax payments can Challan 280 be used?
- What are the ways through which I can make income tax payments?
- What do I do if I have any problems with making income tax payments?
- How can I check my challan’s status online?
Income tax payments can be made either online or offline. To pay income tax online, you will have to visit the TIN NSDL website. To pay income tax online, you will have to deposit it into a designated bank branch through demand draft, cheque or cash.
In case you have any issues on the NSDL website when entering non-financial information, you will have to get in touch with the call centre at 1800-222-080.
You will have to enter details like Challan Identification Number, challan serial number, challan tender date and the bank’s BSR code to track your challan’s status online. In case you enter the tax amount you have paid, you can also get to know if you have entered the correct amount or not.