In Hyderabad, Property Tax is paid to the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC). The GHMC has an online portal for residents to make tax payments. The rate of tax is calculated based on the area and the type of occupancy.
Table of Contents
GHMC Property Tax Online Payment
Follow simple steps to pay GHMC Property Tax
Step 1: Visit https://ptghmconlinepayment.cgg.gov.in/PtOnlinePayment.do
Step 2: Click Property Tax Payment from Menu.
Step 3: Enter your PTI number and click submit.
Step 4: On the next page that loads, details of your arrears, taxable amount, interest on arrears, adjustments, etc. are mentioned. Review these to ensure everything is correct.
Step 5: Choose a payment method in the drop-down box at the bottom of the page. You can choose between credit card, debit card or net banking to pay off your property tax.
GHMC Property Tax Calculator
There is a GHMC tax calculator at the other end of this link (https://www.ghmc.gov.in/Propertytax.aspx) GHMC,which will help you calculate your annual tax after considering your Total Plinth Area and Rent in Rs. / sft / month.
GHMC Residential Property Tax Calculation
To calculate your residential property tax, follow the following steps:
Step 1: Measure your plinth area (PA). The plinth area is the total built-up area, which includes all covered areas including balconies and garages.
Step 2: Determine the current rent-per-square-foot in the market for similar properties in your area if the property is self-occupied. If you’ve rented the property out, you must consider the rent per square foot as stated in the rental agreement. This value is your Monthly Rental Value (MRV) per square foot.
Step 3: Calculate your residential property tax with this formula:
Annual Property Tax for Residential Property = PA x MRV (per sq.ft.) x 12 x (0.17 – 0.30) depending on the monthly rental value in the below table – 10% depreciation + 8% library cess.
|Monthly Rental Value||General Tax||Conservancy Tax||Lighting Tax||Drainage Tax||Total|
|Up to Rs.50||Exempt||Exempt||Exempt||Exempt||Exempt|
|Rs.51 – Rs.100||2.00%||9.00%||3.00%||3.00%||17.00%|
|Rs.101 – Rs.200||4.00%||9.00%||3.00%||3.00%||19.00%|
|Rs.201 – Rs.300||7.00%||9.00%||3.00%||3.00%||22.00%|
|Rs.300 and above||15.00%||9.00%||3.00%||3.00%||30.00%|
GHMC Commercial Property Tax Calculation
Step 1: Measure your Plinth Area (PA).
Step 2: The MRV for commercial property is mentioned in the notifications distributed by the GHMC for the fixed monthly rent per square foot in different circles in different taxation zones. The MRV can be found at GHMC Website Proposed Division of Zones (https://www.ghmc.gov.in/proposed_div_zones.aspx).
Step 3: Calculate the commercial property tax using this formula:
Annual Property Tax for Commercial Property = 3.5 x PA in sq.ft. x MRV in Rs./sq.ft.
Also note that:
- ATMs and cellular towers / hoardings are taxed as commercial property at the maximum with monthly rent of Rs.70 and Rs.50 per square foot, respectively.
- Educational institutions and hospitals are charged at the minimum with a monthly rent of Rs.8 and Rs.9.50 per square foot, respectively.
You can also register for self-assessment of property tax in Hyderabad by filling out the online form which requires the following details:
- Owner Details:
- First name.
- Last name.
- Phone number and e-mail ID.
- Locality name.
- Street/Road name.
- Permission number and permission date for the building in question.
- PIN code and building type (apartment / independent).
- Door number.
- Plinth area and floor usage type.
Taxes can also be paid at e-Seva counters, Citizen Service Centres, State Bank of Hyderabad Branches, Cheques/DDs made in favour of the “Commissioner, GHMC” and to Bill Collectors.
Due date to pay the GHMC Property Tax
Given below is the due date for the payment of the GHMC Property Tax and the penalties you will incur if you delay the payment:
- The last date for the bi-annual payment of GHMC Property Tax is 31st July and 15th October.
- An interest of 2% p.m. will be charged if you delay the payment of GHMC Property Tax.
Rebates and Penalties from GHMC
- The GHMC conducts a lucky draw for taxpayers who pay their taxes on time. A lucky draw prize amount of Rs.20,00,000 will be paid to one lucky winner who pays his taxes on time and enters the contest.
- GHMC has taken the initiative to promote the construction of “green buildings”. The owners of buildings that have rainwater harvesting facilities and generate power using use rooftop solar installations for power back up and heating will receive tax incentives.
- Late Payment of taxes will invite a penalty amount of 2% extra on their bill, every month.
GHMC Property Tax Exemptions
All non-agricultural lands, buildings and structures are liable to be taxed. Although the tax rate varies based on how the property is used, but some properties can be wholly exempted from taxation (or at least receive some concessions).
- Properties owned by military servicemen, or ex-servicemen are 100% exempt from taxation.
- Places of religious worship are 100% exempt from taxation.
- Residential buildings, occupied by their owners, whose annual rental value is no more than Rs.600 are 100% exempted from taxation.
- Recognized educational institutions (up to std. X) are 100% exempted from taxation.
- Vacant premises will receive 50% concessions as “vacancy remission” after a field report has been generated by the tax inspector.
FAQ's on GHMC Property Tax
- Why is it important to pay property tax?
- How often do you have to pay property tax?
- Are there any benefits to paying the property tax early?
- What are the factors that determine how much property tax I have to pay?
- Should I pay property tax if my property has been vacant and not occupied by anyone?
Property tax is payable by property or landowners and comes under the purview of state governments. It is used by the government to improve the infrastructure and develop amenities such as roads, sewage systems, parks, etc.
Property tax has to be paid on an annual basis.
There are discounts offered to those who pay their taxes earlier than the due date, which can vary according to each state government. There are also lucky draws conducted by the GHMC from time to time for those who pay their property taxes regularly.
This is determined by a combination of factors such as the market value determined by the government based on the location of the property, the yearly rental value determined by the municipal authority, and the Unit Area Value System (UAS), which is the price fixed per square foot per month multiplied with its built-up area.
There is a vacancy remission of 50% of the property tax which depends on the tax inspector’s field report, which means you will have to pay only half the amount.
Property Tax Other Pages
- BBMP Property Tax
- Chennai Property Tax
- Mumbai Property Tax
- Pune Property Tax
- Coimbatore Property Tax
- MCD Property Tax
- Kanpur Property Tax
- Kolkata Property Tax
- Indore Property Tax
- Ahmedabad Property Tax
- Ghaziabad Property Tax
- A Khata Property Tax
- B Khata Property Tax
- Step by Step Paying Property Tax
- Calculate Income From House Property