State Bank of India is a Government-owned corporation whose roots trace back to British India making it the oldest commercial bank in the Indian Subcontinent.
SBI Savings Account Interest Rates & Minimum Balance Required Updated on 08 Dec 2016
|Savings Account||Interest Rate||Minimum Balance Required||Debit Car Issued|
|Savings Plus Account||4.00%||INR 25,000||Basic ATM-Debit Card|
|Yuva Savings Account||4.00%||Not Required||Multiple variants|
|Basic Savings Account||4.00%||Not Required||Basic ATM-Debit Card|
|Small Savings Account||4.00%||Not Required||ATM cum Debit Card|
|Savings Account For Minors||4.00%||Not Required||Photo ATM cum Debit Card|
Why Choose SBI Savings Account?
Through its network of branches in India and overseas, SBI provides a range of financial products including the SBI Savings Account. The savings account has a variety of benefits and services. The most attractive features are that the savings account does not require a minimum balance and provides ATM/Debit card, net banking and mobile banking facilities.
Key Benefits Of SBI Savings Account
- Internet Banking, Mobile Banking, Kiosk Banking
- Transfer accounts to any SBI Branch without changing the account number
- Passbook issued free of charge
- Multicity cheques
- Safe Deposit lockers
- Nomination facility
- Personal Accident Insurance available at a nominal premium
- No inter core charges for transfer transactions
- Multiple variants of ATM/Debit Cards like Gold Card, International ATM/Debit Card, etc.
- Can be linked to Multi Option Deposit (MOD) Account
- Mobile Banking provides a host of services like funds transfers, interbank mobile payment services (IMPS), enquiry and statements, cheque book request, utility bill payments, mobile recharges, and M-Commerce.
- Some of the facilities of Internet Banking are opening and closing fixed and recurring deposits, transferring funds (RGTS, NEFT and Western Union Money Transfer), paying utility bills, online shopping, viewing statements and Demat operations, e-Tax filing, and setting standing instructions.
- The ATM/Debit card can be used for balance enquiry, withdrawing money, paying insurance premium, shopping, donations and card-to-card transfers.
- If the savings account is linked to a Multi Option Deposit, in case there is a shortfall in the account to honour a cheque, there is an automatic break up of MOD to ensure the cheque doesn’t bounce. MOD can also be broken through ATM withdrawals.
SBI Savings Account Minimum Balance & Interest Rate
No minimum balance required.
Sbi savings account interest rate is 4% p.a. Interest is calculated on a daily balance.
How To Open SBI Savings Account Online?
The SBI online savings account opening procedure is simple.
- Any Indian resident can open a SBI savings account online by visiting the SBI website. Under personal banking, go to “Deposit schemes”, you will find the option of savings bank account.
- It is important to read the benefits, rules and regulations before clicking on the “apply online” option.
- Fill in all the details in the online application form.
- A TCRN (Temporary Customer Reference Number) will be generated and sent to the registered mobile number.
- Visit the nearest SBI branch within 30 days with the required original documents and your account will be opened.
- Print out the Account Opening Form (AOF)
- Proof of identity and address (Passport, Voter’s ID, Driving Licence, Aadhar card, NREGA card, PAN card)
- 2 recent passport-size coloured photographs
- In the case of minors below the age of 10, ID proof of the person who will operate the account is required. If the minor can operate the account independently, the regular procedure will be applicable.
Types Of SBI Savings Account
- Savings Plus Account With SBI
- This type of account is linked to Multi Option Deposit (MOD) where surplus funds crossing the upper limit of the savings bank account is automatically transferred to Term Deposits.
- This scheme will retain a minimum of Rs. 25,000 in the savings account.
- The term deposits will be opened in multiples of Rs. 1000 with a minimum of Rs. 10,000 at one instance.
- The account holder can choose the tenure of the deposit of 1 to 5 years.
- Yuva Savings Account With SBI
- This type of savings account is specially designed for youths between the age of 18 and 30 years.
- The account debit card has concessionary and complimentary facilities which are given free of cost.
- One draft/banker’s cheque per calendar month will be issued free of cost favouring educational institutions or job applications.
- The account will continue even after the account holder has attained the age of 30 years.
- This account is to enable the common man to access basic banking facilities.
- A basic savings account cannot be opened if the person already has a savings account. If the person holds a savings account, it needs to be closed within 30 days of opening this basic account.
- Regular savings account eligibility and documents are required to open this account.
- There is no minimum or maximum limit. Cheque book will be issued.
- A basic ATM/Debit card will be issued free of cost subject to a maximum of 4 withdrawals per month, after which the regular service charge is applicable.
- Any credit through online funds transfer will be free.
- Deposit of cash and deposit/collection of cheques drawn by Central/State Government will be free
- No charge applicable on activation of inoperative accounts
- Any other services not mentioned will be charged the regular service fee.
- A small account is provided to people who cannot meet the KYC (Know your customer) requirements. The procedure for opening this account is liberalised and a simplified account opening form is used. There are a number of benefits to this account:
- There is no minimum balance or initial deposit required
- Fund transfer credits through NEFT/RTGS are free of cost
- Deposits/cheques drawn by Central/State Government are free
- A basic debit card is issued for free with no annual maintenance charge.
- Conversion to regular Savings Bank account would be done by the home branch manually if KYC requirement is met.
- However this account has a number of restrictions.
- The upper limit is Rs. 50,000
- A basic ATM/debit card is issued subject to a maximum of 4 withdrawals per month on the debit card, after which the regular service charge is applicable.
- All credits in the financial year should not exceed Rs. 1 Lakh Withdrawals and transfers in a month should not exceed Rs 10000/.
- Foreign remittances can be credited only if the identity of the client is fully established through submission of official valid documents.
- The account will be operational only for 12 months. If the account holder can provide proof of application for any official valid document, then the account can be extended by another 12 months.
- This type of account aims at exposing minors to banking and the current features like mobile and Internet banking so that they are acquainted with modern-day banking and also understand the importance of savings and personal finance.
- Minors below the age of 10 years can avail of the PehlaKadam scheme which requires the parents/guardian to jointly open and operate the account.
- The parents/guardian will have to submit required documents. Minors above the age of 10 can avail the PehliUdaan scheme and operate it individually provided that the minor complies to the KYC norms.
- There is a “per day limit” to ensure money is spent wisely.
- No minimum balance. Maximum is Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Mobile banking subject to a transaction limit of Rs. 2,000 a day.
- Internet banking subject to a transaction limit of Rs. 5,000.
- Personalised cheque books/and pass book.
- Photo-embossed debit card with a withdrawal/POS limit of Rs. 5000.
- Can set up one standing instruction for recurring deposit free of charge.
- Interest at 4% p.a. calculated on a daily balance.
- Nomination facility.
- No inter core charges for transfer of funds.
- Auto sweep facility available wherein excess of Rs. 20,000 will be invested in fixed deposits in multiples of Rs. 1,000 subject to a minimum of Rs. 10,000.
- Can transfer accounts to any SBI Branch without changing account number.
- Extra benefit of Smart Scholar - Child Plan offered by SBI Life. It comes with an inbuilt premium waiver benefit and loyalty additions.
- Personal Accident Insurance cover for the parent.
- Overdraft facility is available for parents/guardian or in case of corporate salary package, 2 months salary subject to satisfying other terms and conditions.
SBI Salary Accounts
SBI provides salary accounts with special features and benefits to employees of corporates, universities, colleges, schools, Government establishments, railways, police and defence personnel, and so on. There are four types of accounts depending on the gross monthly income or designation of the employees, i.e., Silver Gold, Diamond and Platinum accounts.
The salary accounts come with benefits like:
- Zero Balance accounts
- Unique Lifetime Account number
- Auto sweep facility on request wherein surplus savings will automatically be invested in term deposits in multiples of Rs. 1,000.
- Free personalized multicity cheques
- Free debit card
- RGTS/NEFT with free core power
- Easy overdraft up to 2 months' salary repayable within 6 months
- Free personal accident insurance (For more details and current policy, visit the bank’s official website)
- SMS and email alerts
- Various personal loans
- Demat facility
- Mutual funds investment plans
|Domestic Cards||Rs. 40,000|
|Gold Cards||Rs. 50,000|
|Platinum Cards||Rs. 1,00,000|
Types Of Salary Accounts With SBI
There are 8 types of salary accounts:
- .Corporate Salary Package
This package can be customised to suit the corporate/institution depending on the business relationship it has with the bank. Institutions include hospitals, hotels, transport corporations and so on. To avail this account, the company should have a minimum of 25 employees with a gross monthly income of Rs. 5,000. The type of account given, i.e, Gold, Silver, Diamond or Platinum will depend on the gross monthly income of the employees.
- Central Government Salary Package
This account can be availed for employees of various ministries/departments of the Central Government, RBI and Nabard. Types of accounts vary according to the designation of the employees.
- State Government Salary Package
This account can be availed for employees of State Government, Union territories and their boards and corporations. The type of account will depend on the designation of the personnel.
- Railway Salary Package
This account can be availed for employees of Indian Railways, Kolkata Metro, Delhi Metro, Bangalore Metro, Mumbai Metro, Konkan Railways. The type of account will depend on the designation of the personnel.
- Police Salary Package (PSP)
This account is designed for employees to the employees of Central Police Organizations (other than Central Para Military Forces), Armed Police and Reserve Police of all States, Civil Police, Police Forces of The Union Territories (Under The Control Of The Central Government), Railway Protection Force (RPF) (under the Ministry of Railways, Central Government) and Government Railway Police (GRP) - (part of State Police Force). The type of account will depend on the designation of the employees.
- Defence Salary Package
This account is available for serving and retired Defence personnel of Army/Navy/ Air Force/Indian Coast Guard/Assam Rifles, as well as Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and GREF [Border Road Organization (BRO)] who have their Salary/Pension accounts with SBI.
The type of account will depend on the rank of the personnel of Army, Navy ,Air Force, Assam Rifles, RR and GREF. PBORs (Personnel Below Officer Rank) are categorized in Silver, Officers fall under Gold, Diamond and Platinum.
- Para Military Salary Package
This package can be availed for serving personnel of the following Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMFs) having their Salary accounts with SBI.
- Central Reserve Police Force : (CRPF)
- Border Security Force : (BSF)
- Central Industrial Security Force : (CISF)
- Sashastra Seema Bal : (SSB)
- Indo Tibetan Border Police : (ITBP)
- National Security Guard : (NSG)
The type of account depends on the rank of the personnel of the paramilitary forces.
- Indian Coast Guard Salary Package (ICGSP)
This package is available for serving and retired personnel of Indian Coast Guard having their Salary/Pension accounts with SBI.
The type of account depends upon the rank of the personnel of Indian Coast Guard. PBORs will be eligible for Silver accounts, Officers are eligible for Gold, Diamond and Platinum.
News About SBI Savings Account
SBI Savings Account Receives Over Rs.38,670 Crore Public Deposits
After Narendra Modi announced demonetization of Rs.500 and Rs.1000 currency notes in India, many citizens stood in front of the bank to deposit their savings. According to a recent report, State Bank of India received over Rs.38,670 crore public deposit in less than a week and exchanged about Rs.1,666 crore since Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 notes were scrapped. Chairperson of SBI, Arundhati Bhattacharya, stated that on Thursday, the cash deposits received by State Bank of India touched Rs.21,150 crore and Rs.723 crore was exchanged. By the end of closing hours of Friday, the bank received Rs.17,527 crore as cash deposits and exchanged Rs.943 crores. She further stated that the lending rates may be reduced in the future if cash deposits continue to flow into the system at this rate. She also stated that demand for luxury goods may be affected due to demonetization but the overall demand in the market will remain the same.She concluded by assuring that all issues will be resolved in the next 1 or 2 days and there will be no shortage for cash.
18th November 2016
Holiday Savings Account Introduced by SBI & Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook and SBI have teamed up to launch an account for vacation savings. SBI account holders can access the recurring deposit through online banking by choosing their holiday package and then putting away money to pay for it through the recurring deposit. The deposit will be over 12 installments, with the travel company paying a 13th installment.
The idea behind SBI holidays savings account is to offer customers a holiday that is free of inflation, since they will be paying for it based on rates at the time of booking. They will also be receiving interest of 7.25% on the deposit amount. It will help them plan for a holiday instead of having to resort to a loan to pay for it.
The SBI holidays savings account will cover air return and transfers, food and stay as well as sightseeing and taxes. Customers can choose from 14 packages, 7 domestic and 7 international.
Thomas Cook have seen good business through this savings account which was started in December 2014 and have agreements with three other banks for a similar offer.
10th February 2016
SBI Opens Branch Dedicated to Startups
State Bank of India has launched SBI InCube in Bangalore, a branch dedicated to provide advisory services to startups. The branch will give entrepreneurs a platform to discuss and learn business basics like articles of association, taxes, remittances and launching a business.
Since a savings account is not enough to run a company, entrepreneurs will be able to open current accounts from the branch, but they will not be able to take loans to fund their business ventures. Commenting on this, the SBI Chairman stated that for the moment, angel investments and venture capitalists would be a source of funding for such enterprises.
The bank plans to open branches of the InCube service in the National Capital Region (NCR) and Pune soon
14th January 2016
SBI Planning to Transform Into Full-Fledged Digital Bank
The State Bank of India BSE - 0.18 percent is preparing for a huge leap - to bring its clientele 44.7 crore customers together on mobile banking and digital wallet portals as part of the 2020 Digital Transformation Strategy. The tactic entails digitizing every banking procedure, employing green (environmental-friendly) banking and promoting the legacy network to provide quick services to clienteles of the public sector bank which has a yearly IT budget of INR 3000 crore. Digitization will aid users perform banking using do-it-yourself accessible on Omni-channel's whenever they want. According to the bank’s Chief Technical Officer, Mr. Shiv Bhasin, they will approach people by making use of conclusions availed from their bank profile and money transactional behavior to customized products and services. SBI has already a mobile wallet app (SBI Buddy) to its credit and is soon to become the first bank in India to start a mobile wallet for feature phone clients. They can access their savings account and others using this Buddy app. As per the digitization scheme, every procedure carried out in 2015 will be appropriate for the multifold transactional volume expected for 2020.
22nd December 2015
M-Wallet Offering from SBI Bank Set to Hit India Soon
India’s largest public sector bank, the State Bank of India (SBI) is paying close attention to the m-wallet phenomenon that is taking over the country. Already, applications such as Paytm and MobiKwik are ruling the roost whilst banks such as Axis and Yes Bank are contemplating launching their own applications soon. Currently, ICICI Bank is the only contender with an active m-wallet in this sphere called ‘Pockets’. According to RBI data, m-wallet transactions accounted for over Rs.8,180 crores in 2014-15, an impressive number that is sure to grab the undisputed attention of banking entities across India. In this vein, SBI is set to react with a m-wallet of its own that will grace the popular mobile application stores soon.
18th August 2015