The United Arab Emirates (UAE) introduced the Golden Visa, a long-term residence visa, in 2019. With this visa, foreigners can stay, pursue studies, or work in the UAE while owning 100% of their business in the mainland of UAE. Such foreigners get long-term residence in the UAE without the requirement of a national sponsor.
Foreign entrepreneurs, investors, and students are granted Golden Visas for 5 years and 10 years. These visas come with an automatic renewal facility.
Golden Visa eServices
In accordance with the Cabinet Resolution No. 56 of 2018 with respect to the Organization of Residence Permits for Investors, Entrepreneurs and Professional Talent, the UAE issues Golden Visas to the following individuals:
- Researchers working in science and knowledge fields and individuals possessing specialised talents
- Students with excellent scientific skills
Eligibility for a 5-year visa
Individuals who wish to apply for a 5-year visa must fulfil the following requirements:
Investors in a property in the UAE
- An investor should invest in a property with a total value of at least AED 5 million.
- The real estate investment should not be on the basis of a loan.
- The property has to be retained for not less than three years.
- Entrepreneurs who possess an existing project having a minimum capital of AED 5 lakh or entrepreneurs approved by an accredited business incubator in the UAE.
- A multi-entry visa for six months is granted to entrepreneurs which can be renewed for another six months. A long-term visa is granted to an entrepreneur that also includes the spouse, children, three executives, and a partner.
- Students from private and public secondary schools who have secured a minimum grade of 95%.
- Students from universities within and outside the country who have graduated with a minimum distinction GPA of 3.75. A long-term visa includes the family members of such remarkable students.
Eligibility for a 10-year visa
The following individuals can apply for a 10-year visa:
Public investment investors with at least AED 10 million
- Investors who wish to establish an entity in the UAE must have a minimum capital of AED 10 million.
- Investors who are partnering in a new or an existing organisation that has a share value of at least AED 10 million.
- Investors must have a total investment of at least AED 10 million in the areas specified above, with the public investment in industries excluding real estate to be at least 60% of the total investment.
- The invested amount should not be loaned.
- A financial solvency for up to AED 10 million is required.
- The invested amount must be retained for a minimum of three years.
- An investor’s visa extension is allowed to include business partners if each partner makes a contribution of AED 10 million.
- An investor’s spouse, children, an advisor, and an executive director can be included in a long-term visa.
- Foreign investors can apply for six-month multi-entry visas.
Individuals possessing outstanding skills and talents
- Individuals in the fields of art and culture.
- Researchers and experts in science and knowledge fields like inventors, doctors, specialists, and scientists.
- All individuals must have valid contracts of employment in their areas of expertise in the UAE.
- The long-term visa can be extended to the spouse and dependents.
- Individuals in the fields of art and culture should be accredited by the Ministry of Culture and Youth.
- Scientists should hold the Mohammed Bin Rashid Medal for Scientific Excellence or be accredited by the Emirates Scientists Council.
- An inventor should secure patents that contribute to the economy of the UAE. All patents require approval from the Ministry of Economy.
- Executives should have excellent academic performance and position. They should own internationally recognised and prestigious companies.
- A minimum of two of the following requirements have to be fulfilled by specialists and doctors:
- Possess a Ph.D. degree from any of one of the world’s top 500 universities.
- Contribute to significant scientific research in their areas of expertise.
- Secure awards and accolades in their areas of expertise.
- Possess membership in an organisation that is related to their field of work.
- Possess 10 years of professional experience in their fields and a Ph.D. degree.
- Published scholarly books or scientific articles in prominent publications in their respective fields.
- Individuals with specialised talents should be documented by scientific research or a patent published in world-class journals.
FAQs on Golden Visa - Long-term residence visas in the UAE
What is a Golden Visa?
A Golden Visa is a new system introduced by the UAE in 2019. These visas allow foreign individuals to live, pursue studies, or work in the UAE without a national sponsor while owning 100% of their businesses in the mainland of UAE.
What is the validity of a Golden Visa?
A Golden Visa can be granted for 5 years or 10 years.
Who is eligible to get a Golden Visa?
The UAE grants Golden Visas to: Investors Entrepreneurs Students possessing outstanding academic skills and scientific capabilities Researchers working in the fields of science and knowledge and individuals possessing specialised talents.
Which students can apply for a Golden Visa?
Golden Visas are issued to students who have secured a minimum grade of 95% from private and public secondary schools. University students within and outside the country who have graduated with a minimum distinction GPA of 3.75 are also eligible to apply for a Golden Visa.
What is the minimum amount an individual should invest to apply for a 10-year visa?
Investors should have a public investment of at least AED 10 million to apply for a 10-year visa.