It is an electronic visa issued to foreign nationals. An E-Visa enables you to enter into a particular country and stay there for a specific period of time. In an E-Visa, all your personal information will be stored electronically. The Visa issuing authority will send you an electronic copy of your visa to your registered email id. E-Visa is mainly issued for the purpose of short term stay in foreign countries.
An applicant can request for an e-Visa to fulfill the below mentioned purposes:
- Tourism purposes.
- Visit of relatives/friends
- Short term business stay.
- Sports activities
- Cultural, scientific or humanitarian activities.
E-Visa Application Process
Applying for an E-Visa is a very simple and hassle free process. To get an e-Visa, you don't have to visit an embassy physically for visa interview. The only thing you have to have is a passport which is valid for at least 6 months from the date of application.
You can apply for an E-Visa by visiting the official embassy website of a particular country. Once you submit the online application form and make necessary payment, you will receive an email address verification message. Once you verify your email id, the e-Visa will be electronically sent to your verified email id.
The cost of an E-Visa may vary from country to country. You can make the payment by using either a debit or a credit card.
Once an E-Visa is issued, the information can be changed. So, it is important you fill the information carefully while applying for it.
The following eligibility conditions apply when you opt for an E-Visa:
- It is issued to travelers who visit a country for the purpose of visiting friends and relatives, recreational activities, medical treatment or short term business visit.
- The passport of an applicant must have minimum six months validity from the date of visa application.
- The passport should have minimum two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
- Applicants should have return tickets ready to go back after staying at a destination for a previously specified duration of time.
- Children and infants should have separate E-Visas and passports.
Documents Required to Apply for E-Visa
- A valid passport with a minimum validity for 6 months.
- Passport size photographs.
You may be required to produce the following documents on your arrival:
- A printed copy of your E-Visa.
- Passport which is valid for a minimum period of 6 months.
- Invitation letter (if any)
- Medical insurance cover for the period of stay.
These are some of the common documents that the immigration authority at the airport may ask you to produce on arrival. However, some countries may ask for additional documents as well.
Benefits of E-Visa
An e-visa comes with the following benefits:
- You can obtain an e-visa at anytime from anywhere. What you need to have is a valid passport with access to internet connectivity.
- Getting an e-visa is a smooth and hassle-free process and helps you save a lot of time.
Sometimes, the immigration authority of a particular country may reject your E-Visa application. Mentioned below are some of the key reasons why your E-Visa may be denied:
- Any important information is missing.
- The validity period of your passport is less than 6 months.
- If you have provided wrong information in your visa application form.
- If you have not specified your visa type properly.
- If your intention of returning is not clear.
Who can Avail E-Visa in India?
E-Visa is issued to those foreigners who come to India for various purposes like tourism, short business stay, meeting relatives and friends etc. They apply for an India Tourist Visa without sending their passport to the embassy. What the applicants have to do is to apply for it online by sending a scanned copy of the passport, photo and other relevant documents to the embassy and pay the fees online. Once you submit the complete application form and make the payment, you will receive the e visa in your email. Get a printed copy of it and carry it along with you when you visit India. The Indian Government currently offers e-visa to 43 countries.
Extension of the Online Visa Scheme
When the Union Tourism Ministry in stated the online visa program in 2013, the idea was to make it easy for people to get a visa to India online. The scheme has been such a success that a proposal has now been made to extend the scheme to 36 new countries which, if accepted, will bring the number of countries that have access to online visas to 186 countries as opposed to the current 150 countries. Among the new countries that might get this visa are countries like Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Morocco, Nigeria, Egypt and a few others. Right now the e-Visa is most popular with countries like the US, UK, Australia, China and France. The popularity of the e-Visa has, in fact, grown by over 200% between the beginning of 2015 and 2016.
FAQs on E-Visa
What is an electronic Visa?
An electronic Visa or e-Visa is an official document that permits people to enter and travel within a country. To apply for an e-Visa, people have to visit the Visa issuing website of the country they wish to visit and select the option for getting an e-Visa. They have to enter their details and pay the Visa fee.
Do I need a Visa to travel to India from the US?
Yes, you need a Visa to travel to India from the US. The Visa application has to be submitted to the Indian Visa Application Centre that is located in the US. You can choose to fill the application form online on the Indian Visa website. Tourists can apply for an e-Tourist Visa online.
How long does it take to get a Visa to India?
The Indian Post/Mission will take a minimum of 3 days to process the Visa application. The Visa will be issued depending on the applicant’s nationality and reason for visit