Any individual who wants to visit the United States of America for tourism purposes needs to have a B2 Visa. It is a non-immigrant visa, which is provided for various purposes such as travel, visits with relatives or friends, medical treatment, etc. The B2 visa is commonly known as the tourist visa.
Qualifications And Eligibility Requirements For B2 Visa
To apply for a B2 visa, you have to prove to a consular officer that you qualify for the visa as per the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). You can do so in the following ways:
- By providing proof of the purpose for which you plan to visit the United States.
- By proving that you plan to stay in the United States for a limited time period.
- By proving that you have sufficient funds to cover all your expenses during your stay in the US.
- By proving that you have a residence outside the US. You should also provide proof that you have economic and social ties because of which you will have to leave the US when your trip ends.
Documents Required For B2 Visa
While applying for a B2 visa, applicants have to bring the following documents along with them to the Consulate or Embassy when they come for their visa interview:
- Valid Passport (current and old passports).
- DS-160 form confirmation page.
- Application fee payment receipt.
- Copy of appointment letter.
- Current income proof, tax payments, ownership business or property, or assets.
- Travel itinerary and other explanation for the trip you have planned.
- A letter from the employer. This letter should mention your designation, salary, employment period, authorized vacation (if any), etc.
- Court or criminal records in case of conviction/arrest anywhere. It has to be provided even if you were pardoned or have completed your sentence period.
Depending on the applicant who is travelling to the United States, the following documents have to be provided:
- If you are a student, you should bring your recent school result, diplomas/degrees and transcripts with you when you visit the Consulate or Embassy for the interview. You should also get financial proof such as bank statements (monthly), FD (fixed deposits) slips, etc.
- If you are a working adult, then you should get a letter from the employer and your recent 3 months’ pay slips.
- If you are visiting a relative in the US, you should get a copy of your relative’s status proof. For example – valid visa, Green Card, Naturalization certificate, etc.
- If you have visited US before, you have to bring any document that proves your visa or immigration status.
If you are visiting US for the purpose of getting a medical treatment, then you must provide the following documents:
- A medical diagnosis from the local doctor that explained the nature of the illness and the reason for treatment in the US.
- A letter from the medical facility or doctor in the US, who expresses the will to treat the illness. This letter should mention in detail the cost of treatment and the expected duration. The treatment cost should include the fee of the doctor, hospital and other medical expenses.
- A declaration by the organization or individuals who are sponsoring the medical, transportation and living expenses. The sponsors should provide proof that they can bear this cost through their bank statements, savings/income statements or through their income tax returns copy.
How To Apply For B2 Visa ?
Follow the steps mentioned below to apply for a B-2 visa:
- Complete the online application. You have to fill the DS-160 form. Ensure that you read the guidelines before filling the form and provide accurate information. While filling the online application form you have to upload your photo. Make sure you have a photo in the required format. Once you submit the form, you will not be able to make changes. Take a print out of the confirmation page.
- Pay the visa fee. Print a copy of the payment confirmation page.
- Schedule the visa appointment. To do so, you have to login on the visa page and click on Schedule Appointment, which is present on the left menu of the dashboard. You have to schedule 2 appointments. First appointment for the interview at the Consulate or Embassy and second appointment for the Visa Application Center (VAC). The appointment with the VAC is to complete the photo and fingerprint scan process and it has to be done one day before the visa interview. To schedule the appointment you have to provide your passport number, the date on which you paid the fees and the barcode number (10 digit) mentioned on the DS-160 form confirmation page.
This process will allow you to choose your visa type, fill in personal information, add dependents, confirm visa payment, choose the delivery location and schedule appointments.
- For the appointment with VAC, you have to get the following along with you:
- Valid passport. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months after your intended stay period in the US. If two or more people are included in your passport, each individual has to submit a visa application.
- DS-160 form confirmation page.
- Page confirming the appointment.
- One photo as per the United States visa specifications has to be submitted if the applicant is below 14 years old.
- For the interview at the Consulate or Embassy, you have to get all the required documents. Prepare for your interview. Based on the interview, the consular officer will decide if you qualify to get the visa or not. If your visa is approved, you will have to pay a visa issuance fee.
Read More About B1 B2 Visa Interview Questions and Answers for USA
FAQs for B2 Visa:
- My child is below 14 years. Is it compulsory for him to attend the visa interview?
No, children below 14 years are not required to attend the visa interview. The parents/guardians can bring the required documents on behalf of the child for the interview to be conducted.
- Do Indian nationals qualify for the Visa Waiver Program?
No, Indian nationals do not qualify for the Visa Waiver Program.
- What do I do if I was denied a US B-2 visa before?
If you were denied a US B2 visa before, you have to go through the entire application process again.
- What is B1 and B2 Visa?
B1 Visa is issued to people who wish to visit the United States for business purposes. It is also known as ‘Visitor for Business’ Visa. This Visa is jointly issued along with the B2 Visa. The B2 Visa or ‘Visitor for Pleasure’ Visa or Tourist Visa is issued to people who wish to visit the United States for tourism purposes.
- What is the difference between B1 and B2 Visa?
B1 Visa is issued for temporary business purposes while B2 visa is issued for tourism and non-business purposes in the US. Generally, both these Visas are granted together as a B1/B2 Visa by the US embassy.
- What is a B2 Visa?
A B2 Visa is a tourist visa issued by the United States to people who wish to enter the country for tourism purposes. It is a multiple entry non-immigrant visa and is generally issued along with the B1 Visa.