What is L2 Visa?

The Visa document that is needed by the spouse of the dependent to enter the United States of America is known as the L2 Visa. With the help of this particular Visa document, unmarried children of the qualified L1 Visa owners, who are below the age of 21 years, can enter the United States of America. The Visa is of the non-immigrant category. The validity of this Visa will only last till the L1 Visa is valid.

Eligibility for L2 Visa:

There are certain eligibility criteria that must be met for availing the L2 Visa. They are as follows:

  • The spouse of the individual applying for the L2 Visa must be a qualified holder of the L-1 Visa.
  • Children of the L1 visa holder must be unmarried and below the age of 21 years to be eligible for the L2 Visa.

Click Here: L2 Visa interview questions

How to Apply For L2 Visa?

In order to apply for the L-2 Visa certain steps must be followed. These steps are mentioned below:

  • The individual must apply for the DS-160 Form and upload his / her photograph.
  • The print out of the confirmation page of the DS-160 form must be taken. The DEAC barcode must be present on it.
  • The applicant must create a profile and follow the onscreen steps till he / she reaches the confirmation screen.
  • The applicant must use the options for payment of the Visa fees. He / She can also pay at one of the designated branches.
  • The individual must ensure that the appointments are scheduled. One appointment for OFC and the other one for consular interview. The time span required for the activation of the fee receipt varies from three hours to two days. It depends on how the payment for the fee has been done. The bank reference number will be asked for during the interview. So, it is absolutely alright if the appointment is made after getting the fee receipt.
  • The applicant must attend the interview. He / She must reach 15 minutes before the interview starts. The applicant must carry the original receipt of the bank fee with barcode stickers, appointment letter for the interview and all the other supporting documents.

Documents Required to Apply for L2 Visa:

There are several documents that are required during the application process for l2 Visa. They are as follows:

  • Appointment letter for the US visa Interview.
  • Printout of the Form DS-160 along with the CEAC Barcode.
  • Valid passport.
  • Photographs as per the guidelines.
  • Visa issuance fee or demand draft.
  • The birth certificate (original) of the applicant is required if the applicant is below the age of 14 years.
  • Marriage certificate (original).
  • Entire photo album of the wedding.
  • All the pages of the L-1 holder’s passport. If the passport has been already submitted then it should have an identifiable photograph and must be in a good condition.
  • Employer’s letter that talks about the applicant’s relationship with the L-1 Visa holder and the travel purpose.
  • Employment verification letter of the L-1 Visa holder.
  • Photocopy of income tax return of the L-1 Visa holder.

Processing Time for L2 Visa:

The processing time can take fifteen days to 1 month for L-2 Visas. In some cases, it may also exceed that time period.

L2 Visa Application Fee

The application fee for the L-2 Visa is USD 190 for every applicant

Employment using L2 Visa:

The EAD (Employment Authorization Document) must be obtained by the L-2 Visa holder for working with an employer in the United States of America. As per I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form, an individual can possess a card for social security as long as that card does not pose any kind of restriction like “Invalid for employment”, “Valid for employment with INS Authorization only”, “valid for employment with DHS Authorization only”. In such cases, to prove the authorization for employment, the L-2 Visa holder will have to submit more proof. Only providing the social security card will not be enough. The EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card is one such proof. Even if an individual is not in need of an EAD card, he / she must apply for one as it is highly recommended. The EAD card will ensure that the L-1 Visa holder’s spouse can work freely is the United States of America. However, the L-1 Visa holder’s dependent children are not authorized automatically to work in America.

How to Renew L2 Visa?

The status of L2 Visa can be extended and renewed the US along with the renewal of L1 Visa. The status of the Visa is only renewed in the United States of America. The actual Visa in an individual’s passport is not renewed. However, if an individual wants to renew his / her Visa, then he / she must go must visit the consulate of the United States. A person with an alien status is not permitted to leave the United States of America and then enter again without a valid Visa (L-1 or L-2). The alien must appear before an officer from the consulate for the issuance of the Visa. This thing often causes difficulties for different applicants as it suggests that the alien will have to leave his / her adopted house in the United States of America until the time the embassy issues a new Visa. During times of the year when it gets really busy, the embassies and the consulates can take more than several weeks to issue the new Visa.


The applicant of the L2 Visa can enjoy different privileges. They are as follows:

  • The applicant can stay in the United States of America for the entire authorized stay duration of the L1 Visa holder.
  • The applicant may choose to work with an employer in the United States in a full-time job. However, the USCIS must provide proper authorization for employment for this to happen.
  • The applicant can choose engage himself / herself in full time study.
  • The applicant can leave from and return to the United States of America for travel purposes.

Validity of L2 Visa

The document of Employee Authorization is valid for a period of two years and it can be renewed after that time.

Type of Employment:

There is absolutely no limit on the type of employment. As referred by the USCIS, this is known as the ‘open market’ authorization.

Frequently Asked Questions for L2 Visa

  1. Can I apply for adjustment of status?

    Yes, you can apply for Adjustment of Status. You may either file the Adjust Status with USCIS or fill up the I-485 Form to register permanent residence.

  2. Do I have to apply for advance parole if I am travelling to a foreign country?

    No, you will not have to apply for advance parole if you (L-2 Visa holder) wish to travel abroad. This is applicable as long as you maintain the non-immigrant status.

  3. Is there any restriction on the type of employment?

    No, there is no restriction on the type of employment. As referred by the USCIS, this is known as the ‘open market’ authorization.

  4. How long can I stay in the United States with the L-2 Visa?

    You can stay in the United States of America for a period of 7 years or as long as the l1 Visa holder keeps his / her Visa valid, whichever is shorter.

  5. Can I engage in full-time study?

    Yes. With the L2 Visa, you can engage in full-time courses for your studies.



About Visa
Visa FAQs
Types of Visa
About H1B Visa
Top Countries Based Visa
Other Articles

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.