France has always been a country of historical importance, considered as a major international power. In addition to this status, the country is also viewed as an idyllic destination, offering a host of activities to travelers. France is known for a high level of education, with a number of intellectuals considering it to be a paradise for art and artists alike. Given all this, it is on the bucket list of most people, but getting into France isn’t as easy, for a French Visa is necessary to experience all that it offers.
How To Get A France VisaIndividuals who are keen to visit France need to follow these simple steps to get a visa:
- Appointment – One should schedule an appointment with the visa office. This can be done by pre-booking it through the official website of the visa application center . Appointments can be taken from Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm, in either New Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata or Chennai.
- Application form – Once an appointment has been booked, make sure that the application form is duly filled. The form can be downloaded from the VFS website .
- Verification – The interview will be held on the date provided by officials. The visa will be approved if all documents are in place and other requirements are met.
France Visa Application
There are two different visas offered by the French Embassy/Consulate in the country. The short-term visa is designed for tourists or individuals who wish to visit the country on business. The long-term visa is designed for individuals looking to stay in France for an extended period.
Individuals will have to provide details like their name, nationality, date of birth, purpose of visit, duration of stay, occupation, employment details, etc. in order for the Embassy/Consulate to process an application. The form should be submitted by them directly, when they come for their appointment.
Documents Required For French Visa From IndiaIndividuals who are looking forward to visit France will need to submit the following documents in order for their visa application to be processed:
- Original passport – The passport should be valid for a minimum of 3 months after the trip and should have a minimum of 2 blank pages.
- Photocopies of the address and photo in the passport (2 copies).
- Photocopies of visas for US, UK or Schengen nations (if available).
- Duly filled application form.
- Latest passport size photographs (2).
- Duly signed cover letter.
- Photocopy of hotel booking/sponsorship certificate.
- Photocopy of travel itinerary.
- Proof of income – This is through copies of IT returns and updated bank statements of the last 3 months.
- Photocopy of insurance policy (international insurance). The original will be required for verification.
- Photocopy of air tickets.
- Duly filled and signed visa insurance form.
- In case of minors traveling alone, the parents/guardians should authorize the same through relevant authorities. Copy of ID of parent should be submitted.
- Students applying for a student visa should provide proof of enrollment.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the employer/college.
- Married couples wishing to travel to France should provide their marriage certificate.
- Birth certificate – for children under the age of 18 years.
The documents needed vary, depending on the type of visa applied. Additional documents could be required, on a case to case basis.
France Visa Fees In India
The fees depends on the type of visa an individual is applying for, with the table below highlighting the different fees.
|Visa type||Fees (Euros)||Fees (Rs.)|
|Ordinary Transit (Short-stay)||60||4,412|
|Student visa (long-stay)||50||3,676|
|Children short-stay (between 6 to 12 years)||35||2,574|
|For citizens from African nations||60||4,412|
Note that the price in Rs. is subject to change with changes in currency rates. In addition to the aforementioned fee, a service charge of Rs.1,467 will also be levied.
France Visa Status Tracking
Individuals who have applied for a visa and have completed their appointment can check their visa status online . They will have to submit their receipt number and date of birth to see the updated status.
Is it mandatory for me to take an appointment for a French visa?
Yes, an appointment is mandatory. Individuals will not be provided a visa if they do not have a face to face meeting.
I am travelling with my family. Should I book one appointment or multiple appointments?
Each individual applying for a visa should have an appointment. This means that multiple appointments should be booked, one for each member.
I am unable to travel to the appointment center. Can I send my documents by post?
No, ideally you should submit the documents in person. In case your biometrics are done, you can use the services of an authorized travel representative to send the documents.
What should the cover letter include?
The cover letter should ideally include the reason for travel and any additional information which could speed up the application process.
How long can I stay in France on a short stay visa?
A short stay visa entitles you to stay in France for a maximum of 3 months.
I am an Indian residing abroad. Do I have to come to India to apply for a visa?
No, you can apply for a visa in the country you currently stay in. It is not mandatory for you to come to India to finish the formalities.
How do I pay the visa fee?
The mode of visa fee payment depends on the city you are applying in. Individuals applying for an interview in Pune, Mumbai, Goa, Ahmedabad, New Delhi, Chennai, and Puducherry need to pay in cash. Kolkata has the option of paying the fee in the form of a bank draft. Note that you cannot use old Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 notes to pay the fees.
I forgot to renew my visa and am currently still in France. Can I extend it from France?
No, you cannot renew the visa in France. You will have to return to India to renew it.
I have old photographs. Can I use the same for my application?
No, you need to ensure that your photograph is no more than 6 months old. In case the photograph is older than this, a new one should be taken.
My visa application got rejected. Will I provided an explanation/reason for the same?
No, the Consulate is not obliged to give a reason for the rejection. It depends on them whether they choose to divulge the same.