Times Square, the land of freedom and opportunity, and the Grand Canyon - these are few of the things that come to mind when we hear of the United States of America. Over the last couple of centuries, people from all over the world have flocked to this wonderful country to fulfil their version of the American Dream, thus making the States one of the most diverse countries in the world. Mentioned in this article are some of the places that every American and traveler alike should see, which comprise breathtaking landscapes, delectable cuisines and embodiment of the word ‘freedom’.
Beautiful States and Cities to Visit in USA
Go For A Drive On The Iconic Route 66
- Also known the Mother Road, this is one of the oldest highways in the U.S Highway System. The highway stretches across California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, et cetera.
- You can either cover the entire stretch or just a small segment, but drive on this iconic road and go through some of the must-see places in the U.S.A like the Petrified Forest National Park, Santa Monica Pier, Roy’s Cafe and Motel, Soulsby’s Shell Service Station, Cafe on Route 66, et cetera.
Visit Yosemite National Park
- This charming park is a World Heritage site that is known globally for its scenic valleys, lakes, glaciers, streams and waterfalls, amidst a lot of other things.
- More than 90% of this park is sheer wilderness, making this one of the best places on Earth to explore nature and find peace.
Spend a weekend in the city of Savannah, Georgia
This city is world-renowned for its Victorian architecture, rivers and elegant mansions. Additionally, if you are feeling particularly adventurous, you can also take a night tour to explore some of the scary spots like Bonaventure Cemetery and Laurel Grove Cemetery.
Head to Hawaii for a Tropical Getaway
- Hawaii is the most recent state to join the country and is composed completely of islands. Do visit the picturesque beaches in Kauai for a breathtaking view of the sunset.
- And while you are in Hawaii, do visit the Volcanoes National Park to get a close look at the two active volcanoes.
Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans
- New Orleans is a lively, eccentric port city in the state of Louisiana. This is where different cultures come together to form a harmonious amalgam of art, jazz and food.
- Some of the places to visit here are Jackson Square, Bourbon Street, and Frenchmen Street. Oh, and if you happen to find yourself here in early in the year, do attend the Mardi Gras celebration.
Go for a Scenic Drive on the Overseas Highway
- The Overseas Highway in Florida is the second route that makes the cut on this list. This 181.9 km highway runs through the Florida Keys and also comprises the southernmost part of the U.S Route 1.
- The highway is primarily built over the sea and goes over numerous corals and islets. Go for a drive on this road during the evening hours so you can enjoy the magnificent sunset.
Bask on the beaches of Miami
- Miami is a vibrant city that has been featured in countless Bollywood and Hollywood movies.
- If you are looking to party, then Miami is the place to be. Lively beaches, mesmerizing culture and an equally entertaining nightlife make this port town in south Florida a must visit point of interest in the United States of America.
Go skiing in Vermont
- Vermont is one of the best states to visit in the U.S.A, especially if you are looking to take a break from the hectic city life. Being one of the smallest states by area and population in the country, Vermont offers the much-needed tranquility that one desires.
- The Long Trail is popular among hikers, and alternatively, you can go fishing too. You can also head to any of the numerous ski resorts in the area for skiing.
Be amazed by the geysers in Yellowstone National Park
- The Yellowstone National Park is considered to be the first national park in the world and spans across the states of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. From surreal trails and forests to majestic geysers and awe-inspiring flora and fauna, this park has everything that a nature lover can ever hope for.
- One of the most popular attractions is the Old Faithful geyser and it should be on your bucket list while in the U.S.A.
Relive your childhood in theme parks in Orlando, Florida
There is a reason why Orlando has been dubbed as the ‘Theme Park Capital of the World’. Millions of visitors come to this city every year to visit some of the most popular amusements parks in the world - Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and Fun Spot America Theme Parks.
Visit the nation’s capital, Washington D.C
- Some of the most famous landmarks of American political history are situated on either sides of the River Potomac.
- The power capital of the world is home to iconic monuments like Lincoln Memorial, United States Capitol, National Mall and the White House. The city also boasts of a lively nightlife.
Take a bite out of the Big Apple in New York
- One of the most famous cities in the world, New York City is a traveler’s paradise. From the five distinctive boroughs to attending a concert at the Madison Square Garden, the city has something for everyone.
- Take a walk off the beaten tourist path and explore the city’s hidden jewels - lip-smacking cuisines that Chinatown has to offer, Museum of Ice Cream in Manhattan, shopping in the Brooklyn Night Bazaar or visiting the Sunset Park in South Brooklyn.
Splurge in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Located in the Mojave Desert, the Entertainment Capital of the World is famous for its casinos and hotels which attract millions of tourists every year.
- One of the most famous boulevards in the world is the Las Vegas Strip, which is home to iconic hotels like the Bellagio, the MGM Grand and Caesars Palace. And remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
The Jewel of North California, San Francisco
- Alcatraz Island, the Golden Gate Bridge and Fisherman’s Wharf are just a few of the various landmarks that make this city one of the must-visit places in the United States. Hitch a ride on one of the many historic cable cars that criss-cross the city.
- Indulge your artistic side at several museums that dot San Francisco, ranging from California Academy of Sciences to de Young Fine Arts Museum. One of the city’s beloved attractions is the Golden Gate Park, which, is in fact, larger than the Central Park in New York.
Discover the Grandeur of the Grand Canyon
- One of the most spectacular natural wonders of the world - the Grand Canyon’s majestic gorges have entranced humankind since the dawn of time. Spanning across 446 km, there are various places to look at the magnificent ravines.
- Many tourists opt for the Grand Canyon Skywalk while some choose to take a helicopter tour over the gorges. Alternately, there are trails to be pursued for the budgeted traveler as well.
Best Vacation Spots in the US
Napa County, California
- Explore the verdant wine growing region of Southern California as you ride off into the sunset with your significant other in the Napa Valley. Bathe in the therapeutic hot springs of Calistoga and have your taste buds tickled at one of the many vineyards.
- As you chug along through New World wine country aboard the Napa Valley Wine Train, marvel at the scenic vistas with Mount Saint Helena looming in the distance. The place oozes romance, making this one of the best vacation spots in the U.S for couples.
- For an Indian traveler, a tourist visa is a must to enjoy these marvelous wonders. Plan in advance and prepare an itinerary of the places you want to see. If you are planning to drive on American roads, make sure that you are carrying your international driver’s license.