A Thailand tourist visa is granted to a foreigner whose only intention to visit Thailand is for personal enlightenment, sightseeing, recreation, shopping, or a casual meet with his/her relatives and friends. Other than these, no other activities are permitted on a tourist visa.
Note: A tourist visa is non-convertible and non-extendable.
When an individual visits a foreign country, he/she is required to avail a conditional authorization from the country that is visited. The authorization which is known as a thailand tourist visa allows the individual to enter, remain and leave the country. There are many types of visas that an individual can avail when travelling to a foreign country.
Here, however, we will be concentrating on only tourist visa that Indian citizens need to avail while visiting the Kingdom of Thailand. A founding member of ASEAN, the country is a regional power in Southeast Asia and boasts of being the second largest economy in the region.
The tourist visa, which is a non-convertible and non-extendable one, is needed by Indians while travelling to Thailand for the following reasons:
- Tourism purposes like recreation, sightseeing, shopping, casual meet with relatives and friends, etc.
- Medical treatment which does not exceed 60 days.
The tourist visa can be acquired from the Royal Thai Embassy located in New Delhi or from the Immigration checkpoints set up in Thailand. There are as many as 48 immigration checkpoints in Thailand through which Indian citizens can avail a tourist visa.
While applicants can apply for the visa directly through the Royal Thai Embassy, there are certain visa processing service companies which can represent applicants and submit applications on their behalf. Some of the companies which are present in India are mentioned below:
- VFS Global Private Limited
- Cox and Kings Global Services Private Limited.
Thailand Tourist Visa Fees
|Name of Embassy and Consulate-General||Single Entry||Multiple Entries|
|The Royal Thai Embassy, New Delhi||Rs.2,500||Rs.12,000|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Mumbai||Rs.2,500||Rs.12,000|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chennai||Rs.2,500||Rs.12,000|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kolkata||Rs.2,000||Rs.4,000|
Apart from paying the tourist visa fees, the applicant is required to pay service charges as well. The payable service charges are inclusive of Goods and Service Tax (SGST @9% and CGST @9%)
|Name of Embassy and Consulate-General||Number of Applications||Service Charge|
|The Royal Thai Embassy, New Delhi||
Above 41 applications
Rs.315 per application
Rs.260 per application
Rs.235 per application
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Mumbai||Any number of applications||Rs.200 per application|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chennai||
Above 11 applications
Rs.315 per application
Rs.235 per application
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kolkata||
Above 25 applications
Rs.215 per application
Rs.195 per application
Rs.185 per application
Thailand Tourist Visa Requirements
If an application is filed for availing a tourist visa, the documents mentioned below must be submitted. The documents which need to be submitted are the same irrespective of the place where the application is submitted i.e., at the Royal Thai Embassy or at the Royal Thai Consulate-General located in Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs against a white background.
- Copy of the passport which has a validity of not less than six months and two opposite blank pages.
- Proof of permanent residence in India (non-Indian passport holder).
- Confirmed tickets in and out of Thailand.
- Proof of confirmed hotel/accommodation reservation in Thailand with address and contact number.
- If the individual is staying with Thai relatives or Thai friends, invitation letter along with a copy of their Thai ID proof must be submitted. In case they are not Thai, copies of visa and work permit along with a copy of passport must be submitted.
- Bank-attested original bank passbook or bank statement (six months) having a minimum balance equivalent to $700.
- International Health certificate on Yellow Fever Vaccination for applicants travelling from 45 countries.
- Cover letter from both company and travel agency mentioning all names with passport numbers, travel plan, places of stay, company’s bank statement which is attested by the bank, and company’s business registration (only in case of incentive tour).
Validity Of A Thailand Tourist Visa
The validity of a tourist visa is of 3 months from the issued date and the stay duration can only be a maximum of 60 days, which can either be single or multiple entries.
List of Thai Embassies and Consulate-General in India
|Embassy and Consulates-General||Working Hours(Monday to Friday)||Email Address||Address||Contact Numbers|
|Royal Thai Embassy, New Delhi||
||firstname.lastname@example.org||D-1/3, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, 110057||011-49774100|
|Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kolkata||
||email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org||18-B Mandeville Gardens Ballygunge Kolkata 700019||033-24403231/033-24407836|
|Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chennai||
||email@example.com||No.3 First Main Road Vidyodaya Colony T. Nagar Chennai 600017||044-4230-0730/044-4230-0740/044-4230-0760/044-4230-0780|
|Royal Thai Consulate-General, Mumbai||
||firstname.lastname@example.org||12th Floor Express Towers Barrister Rajni Patel Marg Nariman Point Mumbai 400 021||022-22823535/022-22822061/022-22821628|
List of Thailand Visa Application centres in India
|Visa Application Centres||Address|
|Delhi||702-707, 7th Floor, Prakash Deep Building, 7 Tolstoy Marg, Connaught Place, New Delhi, 110001|
|Chandigarh||Elante Offices, Entry from Gate No. 3, Unit No. B 208, Second Floor, Office Block B, Plot no. 178- 178A, Industrial & Business Park Phase - I, Chandigarh 160002|
|Gurgaon||Unit no 419-420 4th floor ILD Tower Sector-47, Sohna Road Gurgaon 122001|
|Jaipur||Mangalam Ambition Tower Subhash Marg (Malan Ka Chauraha) C Scheme Jaipur 302001|
|Jalandhar||310 Lajpat Nagar Mahavir Marg Jalandhar City 144001|
|Chennai||Fagun Towers Second floor No.74 Ethiraj Salai Egmore Chennai 600008|
|Bangalore||Global Tech Park No.11 1st Floor O Shaughnessy Road Langford Town Bengaluru Karnataka 560025|
|Hyderabad||8-2-700 Ground floor Srida Anushka Pride Banjara Hills Road No.12 Hyderabad 500034|
|Cochin||S&T Arcade Kurisupally Road Ravipuram Cochin Kerala 682015|
|Kolkata||5th Floor Rene Tower Plot No. AA-I 1842 Rajdanga Main Road Kolkata 700107|
|Mumbai||Urmi Axis Building Third Floor Behind Famous Studio Opposite E Moses Road Mahalaxmi (West) Mumbai 400011|
|Pune||4th Floor FCore Marvel Edge Viman Nagar Pune 411014|
|Ahmedabad||Ground Floor Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industries Opposite Vallabh Sadan Temple Ashram Road Ahmedabad 380009|
|Goa||Gera Imperium 1 3rd Floor Office No. 301 Patto Plaza Panjim Goa 403001|
Dos and Don’ts For A Thailand Tourist Visa
The following key points have to be kept in mind before applying for a tourist visa:
- A tourist visa has to be applied 4 weeks before the planned travel date because the application process will take time.
- A visa application form has to be carefully filled and accurate. An incomplete form will be rejected immediately.
- Bring both photocopies and originals of all the supporting documents while submitting the visa application form at the Thai Embassy.
- Be prepared to provide additional documents if required by the authorities of the Thai Embassy.
- Any false or fake documents provided by the applicant can call for serious troubles.
- Never misrepresent or hide facts in the application.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Thailand Tourist Visa
- Can I avail a tourist visa to Thailand for employment purposes?
No, you can’t use the tourist visa for employment purpose. The tourist visa can solely be used for tourism and medical purposes.
- If I avail a Thailand tourist visa, for how many days can I stay in the country?
By availing a Thailand tourist visa, you can stay in the country for a period of 60 days at a stretch.
- Can I apply for an extension of the tourist visa?
Yes, you can apply for an extension of the tourist visa. The maximum number of days for which the visa can be extended in 30 days.
- Do I need to submit proof of permanent residence in India if I am an Indian passport holder?
No, you need not submit any proof of permanent residence while submitting the application for a Thailand tourist visa. The proof of permanent residence is only required to be submitted by the non-Indian passport holders.
- Can I track my application for a Thailand tourist visa?
Yes, you can track your application for a tourist visa. This can be done by entering the passport number and the date of birth of the applicant.