New Zealand might not be the first choice when it comes to education, but the country is regarded as one of the best places to study. Top educational institutes offer a range of courses, ensuring that students can follow their dreams. Individuals looking to study in New Zealand will need a student visa, which can be availed without hassles if they have everything in place.
New Zealand Student Visa Fees
The fees for a student visa depends on the nationality of an individual. New Zealand follows a system of three bands, with each band attracting a certain fee. Band A caters to individuals who are in New Zealand and are required to submit an application, Band B is for citizens who belong to Pacific nations, whereas Band C is for citizens from all other nations.
The table below highlights the fees for student visa applications for all bands:
|Student Visa Type||Fees for applicants from Band A (NZ$)||Fees for applicants from Band B (NZ$)||Fees for applicants from Band C (NZ$)||Immigration Charge (NZ$)|
|Visa through education provider||100||NA||NA||17|
Indians looking to study in New Zealand will fall under Band C and will have to pay the fee applicable to such members.
New Zealand Study Visa For Indian Students
New Zealand has grown to become a popular option for international students, with over 1.25 lakh students visiting the country to pursue quality education. Indians account for a sizeable portion, with close to 30,000 Indians pursuing their educational dreams in New Zealand (as of 2015). This popularity can be explained through the fact that Indians need not mandatorily write the IELTS exam to prove their English skills. In addition, one could enrol in Private Training Establishments, helping them pursue a career of their choice. Scholarships and an affordable lifestyle (compared to other nations) have ensured that more Indian students choose New Zealand to study.
Students who wish to pursue education in New Zealand can do so by applying for a student visa. They can apply for a visa either online or by filling up form INZ 1012 and submitting it to a New Zealand Visa Application Centre.
New Zealand Student Visa Requirements For Indian Citizens
Students who wish to pursue higher education in New Zealand will need a student visa, which means that they should satisfy these simple criteria:
- He/she should have enrolled in a recognised educational course. This should be a full-time course and all formalities should be done. The course should be recognised by the Ministry of Education.
- He/she should provide proof of funds to pursue the course. This means that either the student or his/her parents should have a minimum bank balance of NZ$10,000 for a year.
- In case a student is being sponsored by a citizen/resident of New Zealand, he/she should get a Sponsorship Form filled by the sponsor. This should be submitted along with the application for student visa.
- In case of a student receiving government scholarship, proof of the same should be provided.
- The student should hold a valid passport. The passport shouldn’t expire within 3 months of course completion.
- A student should not have any criminal case against him/her.
- A student should ensure that he/she is medically fit to stay for an extended duration in the country. Medical proofs from authorised medical practitioners should be provided. These include a chest X-ray and medical certificates.
- Students who have been deported from a country will not be eligible for a student visa.
- You will need to take an insurance policy while in the country.
- A student can work for a maximum of 20 hours a week while pursuing education in the country. He/she can also work full-time during vacations.
- A student should ensure that he/she doesn’t operate a business while they are on this visa.
- Students who wish to work in New Zealand should open a bank account and register themselves with the Inland Revenue Department.
How To Apply For New Zealand Student Visa From India
Students who wish to apply for a student visa can do so by filling up a form either manually, or online by clicking here. They will need to ensure that they meet certain basic requirements and will have to submit the following documents.
- Duly filled and signed application form
- The visa fee in addition to immigration charges
- Coloured passport size photographs (2)
- Medical certificate, including chest X-ray
- Police certificates (if needed)
Additionally, one might be asked to produce other documents depending on the requirements.
New Zealand Student Visa Status
Once an individual has successfully filled and submitted the visa application form, he/she can check the visa status on the official website of the immigration department. The status can be viewed if one has registered themselves. Registration can be done by providing their information, choosing a password, and opting for a security question. Once registered, they can use the login credentials to view the current status of their visa application.
New Zealand Student Visa Faqs
Can I work in New Zealand after I complete my studies here?
Yes, you can work in New Zealand after you complete your studies. This is subject to you getting a work visa.
How do I recognise if a course if full-time?
A full-time course is one which has a minimum of 3 papers per semester or one which involves more than 20 hours of attendance a week. These are the criteria for a full-time course in private training establishments. In case a student wishes to pursue education in other institutes, he/she should have a minimum of 3 papers per semester for it to qualify as a full-time course.
Is it mandatory to provide proof of admission in an institute?
Yes, it is mandatory to have proof of enrolment in order to apply for a student visa. If an enrolment order is unavailable, an Offer of Place should be shown.
Can I apply for scholarships to fund my studies in New Zealand?
Yes, you can apply for scholarships sponsored either by your home country or one which is sponsored by New Zealand. Scholarship is subject to certain terms and conditions and these should be read carefully.
I intend to pursue a PhD in New Zealand. Do I have any work restrictions?
No, individuals who are enrolled in a PhD course or Masters in Research are entitled to unlimited work privileges.
Get Student Visa For Other Countries
- Student Visa
- USA Student Visa
- Australia Student Visa
- Canada Student Visa
- M1 Student Visa
- Apply US Student Visa