If you are an Indian who wants to work in Hong Kong, you have to apply for a work visa. Hong Kong is one of the world’s most important financial centers and many people from around the world prefer working here. It is also a very beautiful place that has lots to offer in terms of culture, food, etc.
The work visa/permit is given by the Hong Kong government to skilled professionals from foreign countries who seek employment in Hong Kong. This work permit is issued under the Employment for Professionals scheme.
To apply for a work visa, applicants must have the following:
- Job offer. The job must be relevant to the applicant’s work experience or academic qualifications.
- Documents proving that the applicant has a clean criminal record.
- Good education background. The applicant must show proof of the same through degree in the relevant field, achievements, technical qualifications, work experience, etc.
- A salary that includes income, medical, accommodation and other benefits that are provided to professionals in Hong Kong. The salary must be at par with the salaries paid to locals in Hong Kong.
Apart from this, the employer has to prove that the applicant has been employed because the local people there did not have the skill set he/she has. The employer also has to provide proof that the employee will contribute to the economy of the country.
Note – The eligibility criteria may be changed at any time at the discretion of the Hong Kong Government.
To apply for Hong Kong work visa/permit, the applicant has to complete the application form and submit it along with all the required documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
The work visa/permit is valid for 1 year and can be renewed till the employee works for the company. If the employee has any relatives (wife or children) travelling with him/her to Hong Kong, then Dependent visas has to be taken for them.
If the applicant changes his/her job and starts working in another company in Hong Kong, then his/her work visa/permit will not be transferred to the new company. He/she has to apply for a new work visa/permit. If the work visa/permit holder lives in Hong Kong for at least 7 years, then he/she can seek permanent resident status.
It takes the Immigration Department 4-8 weeks to process a work visa/permit.
Once the visa is approved, the applicant can collect it from the local Hong Kong Consulate office.
Applicants need to have the following documents to avail a Hong Kong work visa/permit:
- Valid passport with at least 6 months validity.
- Employment visa application form (fully filled).
- Job offer letter.
- Recent passport sized photographs (2 to 3).
- Travel Insurance.
- Health Insurance.
- Education certificates (Mark sheet, degree, certificates, etc.).
Note – Documents must be in English or Chinese. For any other language, applicants should carry translation certificates with them.
Employers have to provide the following documents:
- Application form for Employment of foreign professionals.
- Copy of employment contract. This contract must have all the details about the employee’s salary, position, benefits, work duration, etc.
- Financial information of the company.
- Documents of the company’s work background. This is not needed if the company is sponsoring the employee.
- Copy of company registration with the Government of Hong Kong.