The concept of issuing an online diplomatic or official visa in India was introduced in February 2015. Every foreigner holding an official/diplomatic passport, and willing to acquire an official/diplomatic visa is required to apply as well as submit his/her visa application online. So, the physical or traditional way of submitting a visa application form is no longer accepted.
Although most Indian visa applications are outsourced and processed via Cox & Kings Global Service, the Indian Embassy and Consulate process the Diplomatic/Official visas.
When the visa is processed successfully and granted, an applicant is notified either via SMS or e-mail. The applicant can then collect his/her visa by personally visiting the CPV (Consular, Passport, and Visa) Division.
Eligibility Criteria For A Diplomatic/Official Visa India
- An applicant should have a Diplomatic/Official passport of his or her origin country.
- Foreign nationals, who are holding their Diplomatic/Official passports and who are already residing in India are eligible to apply for Diplomatic/Official visas through the official online portal.
- An ordinary passport holder is not eligible to apply for a Diplomatic/Official visa.
- The passport should have a validity of at least 6 months from the application date and with two blank pages for official stamp purpose.
- Two recently taken photos on a white or light background, each of the size 3.5 × 3.5 cm.
- A copy of the first and last page of the passport that contains information of the applicant’s name, address, date of birth, expiry date, nationality, etc.
- A copy of the printed copy of the visa application.
- An invitation letter from India.
- A proof of the applicant’s residential address.
- While submitting the visa application, an applicant has to upload the documents that are indicated for a service type. Subsequently, a few more documents can be uploaded too via his/her application ID.
- An applicant has to submit his/her Diplomatic/Official passport at the MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) and CPV division, only after receiving an information receipt from the CPV division. This will be notified to the applicant via an e-mail or SMS.
The consulate hours for a diplomatic/official visa is from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on all 7 days of the week.
Fees and Charges
There is no fee and no service charge for a diplomatic/official visa.
Visa Processing Time
It takes about 4 to 5 working days for the visa to process. If everything is okay, the visa will be stamped and issued within this period. However, if the administrative process delays, the applicant will be notified either by an e-mail or SMS.