Diplomatic passports in India are issued to people with diplomatic status or who are travelling abroad on official duty for the Government of India. Diplomatic passport holders receive a passport of Type D', which has a maroon cover.
Who Is Eligible For Diplomatic Passport In India ?
Diplomatic passports in India are issued to the following:
(i). a. All officers belonging to the Indian Foreign Services (Branch A) while traveling abroad on official business.
b. Selected officers from Indian Foreign Services (Branch B) as well as officers in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and other Ministries travelling abroad on official business as decided by the Foreign Services Board in MEA.
c. Wife/Official Hostess/Husband/Dependent Son/Dependent Daughter/Dependent Parents of an eligible official as per (a) and (b) above, when they are travelling abroad with the official and their dependent status is recognized by the Ministry*.
*Family members referred above may also be issued a diplomatic passport for study or other purposes in a different country than the one the official is currently assigned to. These passports have to be surrendered when the official's assignment is terminated or when he/she is posted back to headquarters.
(ii). a. Person having/being granted diplomatic status because of his position or nature of the foreign mission may be issued a diplomatic passport by the Central Government.
b. Spouse of an official as defined in (a) above.
Where To Apply For Diplomatic Passport ?
In general, diplomatic passport applications are accepted only by the Consular, Passport and Visa Division (CVC) located in New Delhi. You may also apply for the same at the passport office where your present address falls in.
How To Apply For Diplomatic Passport India?
If you satisfy the eligibility criteria as defined above and are approved by the Central Government for diplomatic passport, you need to submit the following:
- Form P-1
- Form P-1(A)
- 2 photos with white background, pasted on 1st and 2nd pages and attested across by head of office
- Political/PMO clearance
- Copy of ID of applicant or head of office
- Safe Custody Certificate if the ordinary passport is kept in the safe custody of applicant's department
- Existing Official/diplomatic passport in original
- If official/diplomatic passport already cancelled under section PV-II, then cancellation certificate in original
How To Apply For Fresh Ordinary (P) Passport?
If you have been provided with a diplomatic passport and want to apply for an ordinary passport while in service, you need to submit the following supporting documents (listed as per document number):
Doc. no. 1 (address proof)
- Present address proof including water/telephone/electricity bill/income tax assessment order/statement of active bank account (scheduled commercial banks except regional rural banks and local area banks)/election commission ID card/employer certificate of well-known companies issued on letter head/gas connection bill.
- Passport copy of spouse (1st and last page with family details), if the applicant's current address is the same as the one listed in the spouse's passport.
- Passport copy of parents (for minors).
Doc. no. 2 (birth date proof)
Applicants born on or after 26th Jan 1989 need to submit birth certificate issued by municipal authority or any other authorized office. The birth certificate should have the applicant's name, place of birth, date of birth, parent's names, sex, registration number and registration date. If the birth certificate lacks the name of the child, a plain paper declaration signed by the parents needs to be submitted.
- Birth certificate issued by municipal authority or any other authorized office.
- School leaving certificate (SLC)/Secondary school leaving certificate (SSLC)/certificates from recognized boards and schools.
- Affidavit sworn before notary/magistrate with the date and place of birth in specified format (Annexure A) by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants (less than 5th class).
Doc. no. 11
Proof of surrender or cancellation of diplomatic/official passport.
Doc. no. 12 (if surrender certificate is not available)
Cancelled passport with a letter explaining why the surrender certificate is not available.
If the applicant is Government/public sector/statutory body employee, the following documents need to be submitted (listed as per document number):
Doc. no. 45
Identity Certificate in original as per Annexure B.
Doc. no. 22
No Objection Certificate (NOC) as per Annexure M.
Note: If an applicant submits Document 12, Document 2 is not required.
Penalty for suppressing information on previously-held diplomatic/official passport while applying for a new ordinary passport is Rs.500.
Issuance/Re-issuance of Official/Diplomatic passport
To avail the official or Diplomatic passport, you must download the form for it online. Generally, all the applications for official passports and diplomatic passports are only entertained at the CPV (Consular, Passport and Visa) division situated in Patiala House, Delhi. You can also choose to the passport office that is associated with your current residential address. Along with the application form, make sure to submit all the documents mentioned below:
- Existing ordinary passport Proof or certificate of the safe custody at the office
- Existing official/diplomatic passport The original official and diplomatic passport should be submitted for cancellation. The safe custody certificate must be provided if the original diplomatic passport is kept with the External Affairs Ministry. Cancellation certificate is required if the External Affairs Ministry has cancelled the original diplomatic certificate.
- Photocopy of the official ID card.
- A copy of the certificate that is a issued by the Head Office in a format that is enclosed within the new application form for Diplomatic Passport for Official Passport.
The request added by the Forwarding Officer in a format enclosed in Official/Diplomatic application form can be availed on the website of passport services. You must provide the PMO/Political Clearance Certificate, if it is applicable.
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges