Diplomatic Passport

Diplomatic passports in India are issued to people with diplomatic status or who are travelling abroad on official duty for the Government of India. Diplomatic passport holders receive a passport of Type D', which has a maroon cover.

Who is Eligible For Diplomatic Passport In India?

Diplomatic Passport

Diplomatic passports in India are issued to the following:

(i). a. All officers belonging to the Indian Foreign Services (Branch A) while traveling abroad on official business.

b. Selected officers from Indian Foreign Services (Branch B) as well as officers in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and other Ministries travelling abroad on official business as decided by the Foreign Services Board in MEA.

c. Wife/Official Hostess/Husband/Dependent Son/Dependent Daughter/Dependent Parents of an eligible official as per (a) and (b) above, when they are travelling abroad with the official and their dependent status is recognized by the Ministry*.

*Family members referred above may also be issued a diplomatic passport for study or other purposes in a different country than the one the official is currently assigned to. These passports have to be surrendered when the official's assignment is terminated or when he/she is posted back to headquarters.

(ii). a. Person having/being granted diplomatic status because of his position or nature of the foreign mission may be issued a diplomatic passport by the Central Government.

b. Spouse of an official as defined in (a) above.

Where to Apply For Diplomatic Passport?

In general, diplomatic passport applications are accepted only by the Consular, Passport and Visa Division (CVC) located in New Delhi. You may also apply for the same at the passport office where your present address falls in.

How to Apply?

If you satisfy the eligibility criteria as defined above and are approved by the Central Government for diplomatic passport, you need to submit the following:

  • Form P-1
  • Form P-1(A)
  • 2 photos with white background, pasted on 1st and 2nd pages and attested across by head of office
  • Political/PMO clearance
  • Copy of ID of applicant or head of office
  • Safe Custody Certificate if the ordinary passport is kept in the safe custody of applicant's department
  • Existing Official/diplomatic passport in original
  • If official/diplomatic passport already cancelled under section PV-II, then cancellation certificate in original

How to Apply For Fresh Ordinary (P) Passport?

If you have been provided with a diplomatic passport and want to apply for an ordinary passport while in service, you need to submit the following supporting documents (listed as per document number):

Address proof

  • Present address proof including water/telephone/electricity bill/income tax assessment order/statement of active bank account (scheduled commercial banks except regional rural banks and local area banks)/election commission ID card/employer certificate of well-known companies issued on letter head/gas connection bill.
  • Passport copy of spouse (1st and last page with family details), if the applicant's current address is the same as the one listed in the spouse's passport.
  • Passport copy of parents (for minors).

Birth Date Proof

Applicants born on or after 26th Jan 1989 need to submit birth certificate issued by municipal authority or any other authorized office. The birth certificate should have the applicant's name, place of birth, date of birth, parent's names, sex, registration number and registration date. If the birth certificate lacks the name of the child, a plain paper declaration signed by the parents needs to be submitted.

  • Birth certificate issued by municipal authority or any other authorized office.
  • School leaving certificate (SLC)/Secondary school leaving certificate (SSLC)/certificates from recognized boards and schools.
  • Affidavit sworn before notary/magistrate with the date and place of birth in specified format (Annexure A) by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants (less than 5th class).

11(surrender certificate)

Proof of surrender or cancellation of diplomatic/official passport.

12 (If surrender certificate is not available)

Cancelled passport with a letter explaining why the surrender certificate is not available.

If the applicant is Government/public sector/statutory body employee, the following documents need to be submitted (listed as per document number):

45(Identity Certificate)

Identity Certificate in original as per Annexure B.


No Objection Certificate (NOC) as per Annexure M.

Note: If an applicant submits Document 12, Document 2 is not required.


Penalty for suppressing information on previously-held diplomatic/official passport while applying for a new ordinary passport is Rs.500.

Issuance/Re-issuance of Official/Diplomatic passport

To avail the official or Diplomatic passport, you must download the form for it online. Generally, all the applications for official passports and diplomatic passports are only entertained at the CPV (Consular, Passport and Visa) division situated in Patiala House, Delhi. You can also choose to the passport office that is associated with your current residential address. Along with the application form, make sure to submit all the documents mentioned below:

  1. Existing ordinary passport Proof or certificate of the safe custody at the office
  2. Existing official/diplomatic passport The original official and diplomatic passport should be submitted for cancellation. The safe custody certificate must be provided if the original diplomatic passport is kept with the External Affairs Ministry. Cancellation certificate is required if the External Affairs Ministry has cancelled the original diplomatic certificate.
  3. Photocopy of the official ID card.
  4. A copy of the certificate that is a issued by the Head Office in a format that is enclosed within the new application form for Diplomatic Passport for Official Passport.

The request added by the Forwarding Officer in a format enclosed in Official/Diplomatic application form can be availed on the website of passport services. You must provide the PMO/Political Clearance Certificate, if it is applicable.

News About Diplomatic Passport of India

  • Vice President, M Venkaiah Naidu receives highest Civilian Honour of Comoros upon his visit

    Mr. M Venkaiah Naidu, the Vice President of India has been bestowed with the Order of the Green Crescent, the highest Civilian Honour of Comoros on 11 October 2019. The honour was given by the President of the Union of Comoros, Azali Assoumani in the capital city of Comoros, Moroni.

    This was the first-ever high-level visit to the union of Comoros and Mr. Naidu accepted the honour as a symbol of the friendship between India and Comoros. India and Comoros have signed six agreements on culture, health, and defense. Apart from this, both countries have exempted each other from Visa for official and diplomatic passport holders for short visits. Indians can now visit the country without a visa for short visits.

    India’s trade with Comoros in 2018-2019 was $47.11 million and the country would like to partner with the other in the process of economic development. In terms of issues being faced, according to the Vice President, terrorist groups have been threatening the peace and stability which have hampered the effective functioning of state institutions due to being vulnerable.

    India would be ready to partner with the country of Comoros to neutralize the terrorist threats along with piracy and maritime threats to the country along with cross border transnational crimes and cybercrimes.

    16 October 2019

  • New Regional Passport Officer in Madurai Region

    Following the promotion of the existing Regional Passport Officer in the Madurai region, T. Arun Prasad has taken charge as the new Regional Passport Officer. Madurai RPO consists of nine districts which are Dindugul, Kanyakumari, Madurai, Ramanathapuram, Sivaganga, Theni, Thoothukudi, Tirunelveli, and Virudhunagar. T. Arun Prasad is from the 2008 batch of Indian Economic Service who has served as the Deputy Passport Officer in Chennai.

    29 November 2017

  • Hassle Free Travel for Indian Passport Holders

    Good news for Indian passport holders as they now have the privilege of Visa on Arrival (VOA). There are around 45 countries around Asia, America, Africa, North America and Oceania that offer VOA and save travelers time spent during VISA documentation. The number of countries are gradually increasing, which is exponentially increasing travelers list.

    The 5 popular destinations in Asia that enhances travelers experience by offering Visa on Arrival are Maldives, Indonesia, Mauritius, Jordan and Cambodia. The initiative is to promote tourism as well as help travelers avoid the month long procedures of applying for their VISA.

    26 October 2017

  • Passport open houses to be held at diplomatic missions

    The Indian government has instructed all its diplomatic missions abroad to hold open houses to resolve grievances faced by them in their respective countries. The open house is expected to be held twice a month, the details of which will be made available to the public. These open houses will allow Indian citizens and Persons of Indian Origin to address their grievances without seeking prior appointments. The Ministry of External Affairs has based the model for these open houses on the US model, which has been a massive success. The open houses will address grievances related to the issuance of visas, passports and overseas citizen cards. Issues that require urgent attention can contact the 24x7 helpline of Indian Missions/Posts. All Indian Missions/Posts have a twitter handle as well.

    4 April 2017

  • Ghanaian Diplomatic Passport Holders Do Not Require VISA To India

    The Government of India has signed three agreements with the Government of Ghana during the 2-day official visit of President Pranab Mukherjee. The agreements signed include the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on the establishment of a joint Commission, the MOU on foreign services between the two Foreign Affairs Ministries, and the exemption of visa requirements of holders of diplomatic passports. The agreements have stemmed from bilateral discussions that have been held over the years. The discussions included talks on nuclear power and development, rural electrification, agricultural productivity and research. Ghana is also collaborating with India to procure heavy duty buses in an attempt to improve the urban transportation system. India is the second largest investor in Ghana holding around 700 registered companies.

    16 June 2016

Passport - Sitemap

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.