Senior citizens who require a passport, fresh or re-issue, can apply through a quick and simpler process designed for the senior citizens. Walk-ins are allowed at the Passport Seva Kendra. Senior citizens are not required to book appointments online. Furthermore, there is a designated counter for senior citizens to complete their procedures faster without having to wait in long lines. Although, it might not always be possible for the senior citizen to be able to withstand going to the PSK, under the new system, it has been made mandatory for all passport applicants to be physically present to provide their biometrics and photograph. The general procedures, rules and regulations regarding passport applications and issuance as stipulated in Passports Act and Passports Rule would apply.
Who Is Eligible To Be A Senior Citizen?
A senior citizen is anyone who has attained the age of 65 years. However, in regards to passport applications, a person qualifies to be a senior citizens if they meet the following requirements:
- If you are above the age of 65 years and you are NOT a resident of Jammu and Kashmir.
- If you are a Jammu and Kashmir resident, then men should be 65 years and above. For women, the senior citizen age is 60 years.
You are a resident of Jammu and Kashmir if you fall under any of these three categories:
- You were born in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Your permanent address is in Jammu and Kashmir
- Your present address is in Jammu and Kashmir.
- This is not applicable to Indian citizens who are from other states and have been deployed on official duty in Jammu and Kashmir by the Government of India.
How To Apply Passport For Senior Citizen?
Senior citizens are not issued special passports. An ordinary passport will be issued for a validity of 10 years. The passport will be issued on post police verification basis. The person must also be present at the Passport Seva Kendra along with the Application and documents required. There is no provision available for another person to be present on your behalf.
- To apply for a passport, the applicant must fill in the application online and make the payment for the fees.
- Senior citizens are eligible to walk in without any appointment. So booking of the slot is not needed.
- You must obtain an ARN which is required when you visit the Passport Seva Kendra. In addition, applicants should also refer to any advisory issued by the concerned Passport Offices from time to time.
To walk in without an appointment, you should know the Passport Seva Kendra timings.
|Working Days||Monday to Friday|
|Holidays||Saturday and Sunday|
|Working Hours||9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
|Lunch Break||1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|Token Issuance||9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.|
Type of Form Needed
The form required for Senior citizens is the same as an ordinary passport. The form can be downloaded from the Passport Seva website. You can fill in the form and submit it online from the comfort of your own home. This will help reduce the time spent at the PSK.Senior citizens can also visit the PSK and procure a form. You will have to fill in the application form and submit it there.
Documents Required For Passport For Senior Citizen
The documents listed are subjective. More documentation might be required as deemed fit by the APO/RPO. The decision of the APO/RPO will be final. For first-time applications, if you have furnished your Voter ID, Aadhar card, PAN and an affidavit in the format of Annexure-I, the passport application will be processed on Post-Police Verification basis. This enables faster passport issuance. There will be no additional fees required, but this is subject to online validation of the Aadhar number. PAN and EPIC might also be validated from the respective databases if required.
- Proof of current address – Applicants should submit any proof of address of his current residence only. Irrespective of the duration of stay, and the date from which he/she has been staying there, the present address is required. You are required to mention any other addresses you have resided at for one year prior to the date of application. Aadhar letter, card and e-Aadhar is accepted by the PSK. This is subject to successful validation with the Aadhar database. You may submit any one of the following:
- Aadhar card
- Electricity bill
- Water bill
- Telephone bill (landline or post-paid mobile)
- Proof of Gas connection
- Voter ID or Election commission photo ID card
- Income tax assessment order
- Registered rent agreement
- Certificate from employer on letter head of reputed companies
- Photo passbook of bank account (regional rural banks, public sector banks, scheduled private sector Indian banks)
- Proof of date of birth (Any one of the following)
- Birth certificate issued by a municipal body
- Secondary school leaving certificate or a certificate issued from a recognized board
- Affidavit sworn before a notary or magistrate stating place and date of birth as per Annexure 'A'. This applies especially to illiterate, semi-illiterate, and applicants who are not yet in 5th standard.
- Standard Affidavit as per Annexure-I is mandatory.
- You may submit any one of the following:
- Verification Certificate as per the specimen as per Annexure 'F'
- Copy of the passport of the child who is staying abroad. A copy of the page bearing the parent’s name is required. The child should be at least 18 years old.
- Or you can submit any 3 of the following acceptable documents:
- Voter ID or Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC)
- Aadhar Card
- PAN card
- Gas Connection Bill
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Driving Licenses (valid and within the jurisdiction of State of submission of application)
- Service Photo Identity Card issued by Central or State Government, Public Sector Undertakings, local bodies or Public Limited Companies
- SC certificate, ST certificate, OBC Certificates
- Arms Licenses
- Freedom Fighter Identity Cards
- Property Documents such as Pattas, Registered Deeds, et cetera
- Pension Documents such as ex-servicemen's Pension Book or Pension Payment order, ex-servicemen's Widow or Dependent Certificates, Widow Pension Order, Old Age Pension Order
- Railway Identity Cards
- Birth Certificates issued under the RBD Act
- Student Photo Identity Cards issued by Government Recognized Educational Institutions for full-time courses
- Bank passbook, Kisan passbook or post office passbook
For a fresh passport, senior citizens will have to pay the same fees as any other adult. The fees depends on the number of pages you require in your booklet. The fee also varies depending on whether you choose the normal scheme or tatkal scheme.
|Normal||36 pages||Rs. 1,500|
|60 pages||Rs. 2,000|
|Tatkal||36 pages||Rs. 3,500|
|60 pages||Rs. 4,000|
Senior citizens should follow the same procedures and rules as the general adult category. However, the government has made provisions to give special preferences to the aged population. There are many facilities in place to speed up the process for the older folk so that they don’t have to bear standing in long lines, waiting, and getting delayed.
News About How To Get Passport For Senior Citizen
Passports in 10 Days in Karnataka from November
It has been recently announced that applicants in Karnataka may receive their passports within 10 days. During the month of September, the whole process starting from application to delivery took about 13 days. But now, the target is to reduce the time to 10 days by November. In an effort to make this possible, the mobile passport police app has been extended to all the police stations in Bengaluru now. This app will help the police officers to complete the verification process online only. According to the regional passport officer PS Karthigeyan, the waiting period for appointment slots have also been reduced to 1 day.
18th October 2016