The cost of a passport depends on the type of passport service applied for and whether it is on a regular basis or Tatkaal.
For regular or normal passport applications the fees are as follows:
|Type of Passport||36 pages booklet||60 pages booklet|
|New or fresh passport (Validity - 10 years)||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|Renewal of passport (Validity - 10 years)||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|Adding a booklet when the pages in the existing passport are exhausted or all used up (Validity - 10 years)||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|Minors aged 15 to 18 years - new/fresh/renewal/reissue of passport - validity 10 years||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|Minors - new/fresh/renewal/reissue of passport - validity 5 years or until attaining majority||Rs.1,000|
|Duplicate or replacement of lost/stolen/ misplaced/damaged existing passport||Rs.3,000||Rs.3,500|
|Duplicate or replacement of passport for updating or modification of certain details viz. removal of ECR status or changing personal details (validity 10 years)||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|Minors - Duplicate or replacement of passport for updating or modification of certain details viz. removal of ECR status or changing personal details (validity 5 years or till they attain majority)|
For Tatkaal passport applications
Passport fees for urgent applications will be charged at Rs.2,000 in addition to the regular fees mentioned above. This makes the tatkaal passport cost / fee structure -
|Type of Passport||36 pages booklet||60 pages booklet|
|New or fresh passport (Validity - 10 years)||Rs.3,500||Rs.4,000|
|Renewal or reissue of passport (Validity - 10 years)||Rs.3,500||Rs.4,000|
|Adding a booklet when the pages in the existing passport are exhausted or all used up (Validity - 10 years)||Rs.3,500||Rs.4,000|
|Minors aged 15 to 18 years - new/fresh/renewal/reissue of passport - validity 10 years||Rs.3,500||Rs.4,000|
|Minors - new/fresh/renewal/reissue of passport - validity 5 years or until attaining majority||Rs.3,000|
|Duplicate or replacement of lost/stolen/ misplaced/damaged existing passport||Rs.5,000||Rs.5,500|
|Duplicate or replacement of passport for updating or modification of certain details viz. removal of ECR status or changing personal details (validity 10 years) (fresh booklet)||Rs.3,500||Rs.4,000|
|Minors - Duplicate or replacement of passport for updating or modification of certain details viz. removal of ECR status or changing personal details (validity 5 years or till they attain majority) (fresh booklet)||Rs.3,000|
For PCC - Police Clearance Certificate cost/fee - Rs.500
For Diplomatic or Official Passports - No fee/cost applicable
How to Pay the Passport Fee
- Applicants can pay the required fees online through:
- Credit / Debit Card.
- Internet Banking through State Bank of India and Associate Banks.
- Online payments are mandatory for appointment bookings at PSKs.
- While making online payment for applications under the Tatkaal scheme, applicants need only pay the fee applicable under the normal scheme category, and the remaining Tatkaal fee should be paid in cash.
- For debit / credit cards, banks charge 1.5% + Service Tax as applicable on every transaction. This does not apply for SBI and Associate Banks.
- Online payment remains valid for one year from the first appointment date and applications must be submitted within this time. If not, the payment will be considered forfeited, and a new payment will have to be made.
- At Citizen Service Centres (CSCs), payment can be made by credit / debit card.
- Payments can be made in cash at any of the Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs)
- For Tatkaal applications, the entire application amount of the normal application fee plus Tatkaal fee can be paid in one go, unlike online payments for Tatkaal applications.
- While dealing with cash at the PSK, the public is warned to beware of touts and agents.
- At PSKs (Passport Seva Kendras), payment for passport will have to be made In Cash only. This applies to mini-PSKs too. All PSKs host ATMs for all banks so cash withdrawal to make payment is made easier.
- At District Passport Cells (DPCs), payment will have to be made via DD (Demand Draft).
- The DD has to be made out to ‘PAO-MEA’ to be satisfied at the RPO.
- At Speed Post Centres (SPCs), payment can be made via DD (Demand Draft) or Cash. The DD must be drawn in favour of ‘PAO-MEA’ and will be payable where the RPO is located.
It should be noted that:
The following details must be written behind the DD:
- Applicant’s name.
- Applicant’s date of birth.
- Date of submission of the application.
- Collection Centres only entertain applications for fresh passports.
- All penalties must only be paid in cash.
Passport Fee Calculator
On the official website of the CPV (Consular, Passport, and Visa) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, there is a passport fee calculator tool which calculates the various different costs for passport applications. Costs differ on a case by case basis, depending on the type of passport being applied for, and whether it’s being applied for through the Tatkaal Scheme.
The calculator requires the following fields to be filled out, which contain the following options:
- Identity Certificate.
- Surrender Certificate.
Type of Service:
(If “Reissue”) Reason for Reissue:
- Validity Expired / Due to Expire.
- Delete ECR / Change in Personal Particulars.
- Exhaustion of Pages.
- Lost / Damaged Passport.
- Less than 15 years.
- Between 15 to 18 years.
- 18 years and above.
- (For those between 15 to 18 years) 5 years / Till the age of 18 years.
- 10 years.
- Number of pages in booklet:
For passport fees, select Passport, and then choose the applicable option among:
- 36 pages.
- 60 pages.
Depending on the input received under the above headings, the tool calculates the fee for the various possible cases for the issue of a fresh passport or the reissue of an older passport.
Identity Certificate Fee Calculator
Also a feature of the calculator is a tool that calculates the fee for issue of identity certificates. Different fees are charged for different cases, as under:
- Type of Service:
- (If reissue) Reason for Reissue:
- Validity Expired / Due to Expire.
- Delete ECR / Change in personal particulars.
- Exhaustion of pages.
- Lost or Damaged passport.
Surrender Certificate Fee Calculator
The tool also helps calculate Surrender Certificate Fees for:
- Foreign Nationality Acquired Before 1st June, 2010.
- Foreign Nationality Acquired On or After 1st June, 2010.
The standard fee for the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is Rs.500.
Important points to note regarding payment of passport fees
- If the passport fee for an appointment has been paid, but the appointment has not been booked, there will be no refund of the paid amount.
- The RPO will refund excess payments that have been made in case multiple payments have been made for the same passport fee.
- The online application receipt containing the Application Reference Number (ARN) must be carried along with the Passport application to the PSK during the appointment.
- In order to generate the ARN and receipt, applicants who pay online must click “Print Application Receipt”.
- There are no bank charges applicable for payments made through challan.
For the onetime payment of Rs.40, applicants can subscribe for the SMS Services. The SMS service sends you appointment reminders, and regular updates.
Passport payment FAQs
What is the procedure if the online payment status says “Failed” despite the amount having been deducted from the Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card?
On the next working day from when this happens, go on to the website, click “Track Payment Status” on the “Applicant Home” screen. If the payment has been confirmed, an appointment can be booked. If the payment has not been confirmed and the status is still on “Failed”, wait for 7 days for the amount to be credited back to you.
What if the amount does not get credited back within 7 days?
If the amount does not get credited back within 7 working days, please contact the customer service desk of your bank, and provide them with theApplication Reference Number (ARN), Transaction ID, Transaction Date, and Payment ID.
Can application fees paid be transferred between different ARNs? Can one ARN use the “paid” status of application fees from another ARN?
No, there is no facility in place to transfer the “paid” status of any fee to any other ARN than the one that was generated upon payment.
Can an appointment with the PSK be rescheduled once it has been paid for?
An appointment with the PSK can be rescheduled a maximum of 2 times in a year (within 12 months of the first appointment date). Appointments cannot be cancelled for a refund.
News About Indian Passport Fees
Announcement from Passport Office
According to a release from the Regional Passport Officer - Coimbatore, all holders of the Indian passport are asked to immediately convert their handwritten passports to machine readable ones at the earliest.
The International Civil Aviation Organisation has asked for a phasing out of handwritten passports prior to November 24,2016.
5th October 2016