With the coming in of the internet, everything has gone digital, including the procurement of official documents. Applicants can now apply for all their important documents online, such as driving license, passport, voter ID and so on. A passport is a mandatory document that individuals who wish to travel outside the country require. A passport is an official document provided by the government to its citizens allowing them to travel outside under the native country’s protection.
Applicants in India can now apply for a passport online by visiting the Passport Seva website under the Ministry of External Affairs. With the introduction of mandatory biometrics for applicants, you will have to visit a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) for this process after submitting your application.
You can choose a convenient date and time for your appointment from the slots available after submitting your online application. The website also makes provision for the cancelling/rescheduling of appointment slots. The process to cancel your appointment or reschedule it is mentioned below.
Steps to Reschedule/Cancel Appointment Online
- Visit the official Passport Seva website and log in using your credentials.
- Click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab and choose the ‘Schedule Appointment’ option.
- Choose the applicable option from the two provided- ‘Reschedule Appointment’ if you wish to change the date/time or ‘Cancel Appointment’.
- Individuals will have to visit the official website of the Passport Seva Kendra and log in using their credentials.
- They will then have to click on the tab titled ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ and choose the option titled ‘Schedule Appointment’.
- Two options will be available on this page - ‘Reschedule Appointment’ and ‘Cancel Appointment’. Individuals need not have to cancel, in order to reschedule an appointment. Please note: As per MEA rules, you can only cancel/reschedule your appointment twice in a given year from the date of passport application. A pop-up displaying the number of cancellation/rescheduling attempts still available to you will be displayed after you opt for either option.
- If you choose to reschedule, choose a fresh slot from the available slots and click ‘Book Appointment’ to confirm your appointment.
- You will be taken to a page with the revised appointment details. Click on ‘Print Application Receipt’ and carry the same with you for your appointment.
- I have already rescheduled my appointment once. Can I cancel it now and pick another date later?
- Are there fees associated with rescheduling or cancelling my appointment?
As per existing rules, you can only cancel/reschedule an appointment twice in a year. So if you cancel a rescheduled appointment you will have to re-apply for a passport and restart the process the next year.
No, there are no fees to be paid if you cancel/reschedule your appointment.