A passport is one of the most important document issued by the government which helps us to travel to other countries without any hassles. It is an official document which ensures smooth immigration into another country. It also doubles up as an authentic official document, helping us to avail various government and private services as it acts as an address and id proof.
In India, the Consular, Passport & Visa Division, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India is entrusted with the responsibility of administering the service and issuing passport to Indian citizens. The process of getting a fresh/reissue passport is a process which consist of various stages, both online and offline.
Types of Passport Application
Depending on the requirement and urgency for a passport, there are two types of application you can make. Normal & Tatkal. While the former is considered as the standard application process, the latter deals with applying for a passport when you need it urgently and willing to pay an additional amount to get your application processed. The Tatkal service is available for both new and renewal of existing passports.
While the procedure of getting a passport issued under the tatkal scheme remains the same more or less, this service is only available to citizens who have a genuine reason of getting on urgent grounds.
Tatkal Scheme Eligibility
The jurisdictional passport office has the final say for issuance of passport under this scheme depending on the urgency coupled with other compelling factors of the applicant. Applicants falling in the category below cannot apply/reapply for a passport under the Tatkal scheme.
- Citizens born to Indian parents outside India (Indian descent)
- Indian citizens who've been granted citizenship status on the basis of naturalization/registration
- Applicants who've been deported to India from other countries
- Applicants who've been repatriated from a different country at government's cost
- Name change - major
- Residents of Jammu & Kashmir and Nagaland
- Naga origin citizens residing outside Nagaland
- Children adopted by Indian and foreign parents
- Minor children with single parent
- Minors residing in Nagaland
- Short passport validity renewal
- Lost or stolen passport
- Passport damaged beyond recognition
- Change in sex or appearance
- Change in personal credentials such as signature
How To Apply For Tatkal Passport?
Given below are the steps that one needs to follow in order to apply for Tatkal Passport.
- Register yourself at the official portal of Passport Seva.
- Every individual will be given a unique ID and password. Login with your ID and password.
- You will be presented with two options- Fresh and Re-Issue. Choose the applicable option.
- Select ˜Tatkal' option in the scheme type.
- Download the application form and fill the form
- Submit the form online
- Complete the payment procedure
- Print out the receipt online payment
- Book an appointment at the nearest Passport Service Kendra
Documents Required For Tatkal Passport
Listed below are the documents required in order to apply for Tatkal Passport
- Verification Certificate as per Annexure F
- Election card
- Service Photo Id Card
- Certificate of SC/ST/OBC
- Identity cards of Freedom Fighters
- Arms License
- Ration card
- Property documents
- Pension documents
- Railway Photo Identity card
- PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department
- Bank passbook
- Student's Id card from a recognized institution
- Driving license
- Birth certificate
- Gas connection bill
Tatkal Passport Fees Payment
Given below is the fee structure and payment process for Tatkal
|Within 1-7 days of the date of application||Rs. 1,500 plus the passport fee of Rs. 1,000|
|Within 8-14 days of the date of application||Rs. 1,000 plus the passport fee of Rs. 1,000|
Replacement Of Passport
|Within 1-7 days of the date of application||Rs. 2,500 plus the passport fee of Rs. 2,500|
|Within 8-14 days of the date of application||Rs. 1,500 plus the passport fee of Rs. 2,500|
Re Issuance Of Passport After Expiry Of 10 Years Validity
|Within 3 days of date of application||Rs. 1,500 along with Rs. 1,000 for the passport|
There are three ways through which one can make online payment for the passport. Listed below are the three ways.
- Credit/Debit card
- Internet banking
- SBI bank challan
How Much Time Take For Tatkal Passport ?
As opposed to the normal application, a tatkal application means quick verification and faster processing. Passports issued under this scheme is dispatched within 1-3 days from the time the applicant furnishes the required paperwork at the Passport Seva Kendra. Application under this scheme not only guarantees you early appointment, but also quick processing through a separate queue.
- What is the fee associated with Tatkaal Passport issuance?
To know about the fees associated with Tatkaal Passport, you will have to click on the link that says ˜Fee Calculator' on the homepage of the official website.
- How long does it take to receive the Tatkaal Passport?
After you apply successfully for the Tatkaal Passport and get a status that says ˜Granted', the dispatch of the passport will take place as given below:
Application type Police Verification type Passport dispatch time Tatkaal Police verification is not needed Within one day excluding application submission date Tatkaal After issuance of passport, police verification is needed On 3rd day excluding submission date of the application without waiting for the report of police verification
- Can everyone apply under Tatkaal scheme?
The passport office takes the final call on passport issuance under the tatkaal scheme. However, there is a list of applicants who are not allowed to apply for passport under this scheme. In order to know about the list of applicants who are not allowed to apply for passport under the tatkaal scheme, you will have to download the instruction booklet from the official website for passport services.
- I have to travel overseas but my passport is damaged. What do I need to do?
If your passport booklet is damaged but it remains recognizable (name is legible, passport number is readable, photograph on passport is intact) then you can apply for passport reissuance. However, if your passport is damaged to an extent that it not recognizable, then you cannot apply for passport under the Tatkaal scheme.
- I am from Nagaland and I am an Indian Citizen. Can I apply for passport under the tatkaal scheme?
No, if you are from Nagaland, you will not be able to apply for passport under the tatkaal scheme, even if you are an Indian Citizen.
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges