A passport is an official document that permits the holder to travel abroad. A passport is issued by the government of which the holder is a citizen of, through which the government guarantees that the holder is a citizen of the issuing country. In addition to being an official travel document, a passport also acts as a universally accepted proof of identity as well as proof of address.
Passports are usually issued for a period of 10 years. In the case of minors, passports are issued until the holder turns 18 years of age, after which a new passport has to be applied for.
What is a Short Validity Passport?
A Short Validity Passport is a type of passport that is issued for a short period of time, usually as a short term arrangement.
These passports are issued only under the below mentioned circumstances:
Short Validity Passports are issued to students in the event they are required to go abroad for the purpose of answering an international examination like the SAT, TOEFL etc.
The passport is issued if the situation is urgent and the applicant would be unable to apply through the regular channels as it would take too long for the passport to be processed.
In the case of such an application, the form would be processed under the Tatkaal Scheme and the application is to be submitted with evidence of the urgency of the application as well as a verification certificate as per regulations.
Non-Delivery of Passport:
In the event an applicant’s passport does not reach him/her due to it being lost in transit, the applicant can apply for a Short Validity Passport. The passport would later be extended to a full term passport (10 year passport) on completion of certain formalities.
If the applicant has a criminal case pending against him/her and wishes to travel abroad, the applicant can apply for a Short Validity Passport. However, this passport is issued on condition that written permission is obtained from the court where the case is pending.
The Short Validity passport issued in such a circumstance is issued for 1 year, subject to the court permission.
Indians Residing Overseas:
Indian nations who are staying overseas and wish to make a trip to India for a short period of time can apply for a Short Validity Passport. In such cases, the passport is generally approved immediately, with the passport valid for a period of 1 year from the date of issue.
A passport would be issued against the presentation of a return ticket to the country of residence as well as submission of certain documents.
Documents Required for Short Validity Passport
The list of documents to be submitted when applying for a Short Validity Passport is given below. Any 3 are to be submitted:
- Telephone bill
- Water bill
- Income Tax assessment order
- Gas connection proof
- Aadhaar card
- Rent agreement (registered copy)
- Spouse’s passport copy (first and last page)
- Parent’s passport copy (in case of minor applicants)
- Passbook of bank account.
- Voter ID card
- Municipal birth certificate
- Railway identity card
- SC/ST/OBC certificate
- Arms licence
- PAN card
- Pension document (such as widow pension order, old age pension order etc.)
- Freedom fighter identity card
- Photo identity cards (issued by State/Central government, PSU, public limited companies)
Apply Process for Short Validity Passport
The application for a Short Validity Passport is given below:
For applicants applying from India:
- Applicants can log on to the passport india website and register as a new user, if not already registered on the site.
- Select the type of passport and the type of submission (select Tatkaal).
- Fill in the application form, submit the form and pay the processing fee.
- Book an appointment for a tatkaal passport application and visit the Passport Seva Kendra with the documents at the appointed time.
- On successful verification and scrutiny of the documentation, the passport will be issued within a period of 1-3 days.
- Collect the passport in person from the Passport Seva Kendra.
For overseas applicants:
- Applicants will need to follow the above procedure and submit their form and documents in person at an Indian Consulate in the country of residence.
- On payment of the processing fee and verification of the application, the passport will be issued to the applicant.
- The passport is to be collected in person from the Consulate or designated centre.
Fee Structure for Short Validity Passports
The processing fee for a Short Validity Passport is given below:
- For Normal category- Rs. 1,000
- For Tatkaal category- Rs.3,000 or $50 or €40.
Validity of Short Validity Passport
A Short Validity Passport is valid for a period ranging from 1 year to 5 years, depending on the type of application and the circumstances. Short Validity Passports are generally issued for a period of 1 year.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport(SVP)
Short Validity Passports are renewed at the discretion of the Assistant Passport Officer’s discretion.
The maximum period for which a Short Validity Passport can be renewed is 10 years.