A passport is an important document that all citizens should preferably have. It serves as identification proof and is accepted widely for all purposes. But the use of a passport is to enable traveling out of the country. This is a mandatory document without which you cannot travel abroad. A passport does not guarantee entry into your destination country. It is a government-issued document that certifies your identity and nationality. A standard passport contain the holder's name, place and date of birth, photograph, signature, and other identifying information.
Why Do You Change Of Address In Passport
If you have changed your address or are relocating, you will need to update this information in your passport. To change your address, you need to apply for a re-issue of your passport. Through this process, you will receive a new passport with a new number and booklet.
Process of Passport Re-issue
As the need to change your address falls under “change in personal details”, you can apply for passport renewal or reissue. The process is quite simple to get your passport re-issued with a new address. You can visit Passport Seva Kendra office and make an application directly. You need to pay the fees in cash at the office. Alternatively, you can complete your application and book an appointment online. You can also make the payment for the fees online.
Process Of Change Of Address In Passport
The process for changing your address in your passport is detailed below.
- Log onto the Passport Seva website.
- If you are already registered, use “Existing User? Login”, enter your user ID and password and enter your account.
- If you are a first-time user, click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Choose a passport office nearest to you.
- Provide your personal details that include your name and date of birth.
- Create a login ID and password and register.
- An email will be sent to you with a link to activate your account.
- Once you click on this link, login and click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”
How to get the application form for changing the address?
You can either download a PDF form and fill it up offline or fill in the form available online.
Enter your details. Update the address as required. You will be required to provide two references, their full name, phone number and address.
If you are using the downloaded PDF form, once you have entered your city validate and save the form. Upload this document to the same page where you downloaded it from.
Verify all the information you have provided and click on “Submit”.
After you have submitted your form successfully, click on “view saved/submitted applications”. You can then “Pay and schedule appointment”. In order to book an appointment, it is necessary to complete the payment online. For Tatkal applicants, you need to pay the normal fee. If your application is approved for Tatkal, then you can pay the balance at the Passport Seva Kendra website. Please note that this payment is a non-refundable transaction. In case there are multiple payments made on the same ARN, then the PSK will deal with the claims. The options for payment available are given below.
|Mode of Payment||Accepted Providers||Charges|
|Credit Cards||VISA or MasterCard||1.5% + service tax|
|Debit Cards||VISA or MasterCard||1.5% + service tax|
|Internet Banking||SBI and Associate Banks||No charge|
|SBI Challan||Fees should be deposited at the nearest SBI branch after 3 hours of generating the challan and within 85 days.||No charge|
Making an Appointment
- After the payment is successful, you can “Schedule Appointment”.
- If your payment is yet processed, click on “Track Payment Status”.
- If you have paid with a Challan, wait for 2 working days from when you deposit the money. The status will be updated under “Track Payment Status”. Once the payment is successful, you can schedule your appointment.
- Select the passport office you prefer and the slot convenient to you.
- Confirm your appointment.
Documents Required For Change Of Address In Passport
To change your address you will need to provide the following documents:
- Original old Passport.
- Copy of your online application.
- Copy of payment receipt or challan receipt
- Self attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- Self attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Address Proof (Any one)
- Election Commission Photo/Voter ID card
- Aadhaar Card
- Electricity bill
- Water Bill
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Telephone (Mobile, Landline)
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Spouse's passport copy (First and last page including family details), (applicant's present address should match the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport)
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head
- Parent's passport copy, in case of minors (First and last page)
- Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks, Scheduled Public Sector Banks, and Regional Rural Banks only)
- Documents required for Minors
- Documents required for Government/PSU/Statutory Body
- Documents required for Retired Government Officials
For minor applicants, in addition to the documents listed above, a declaration affirming the particulars furnished in the application about the minor as per: Annexure 'H' is also also required.
For Government/PSU/Statutory Body employees, in addition to the documents listed above, you need a No Objection Certificate (NOC) (as per Annexure 'M') OR a Prior Intimation Letter (PI) (as per Annexure 'N')
For Retired Government Officials, in addition to the documents listed above, you should submit your Pension Payment Order.
Appointment the Passport Office
You should go to your selected passport office on your appointment date. You can go on time or 15 minutes earlier. There is no requirement to go ahead of time as the slots are generally on time. A group number will be allotted to you. When your number is called, you can proceed to the verification process. The passport re-issue procedure usually takes a few hours. Once all the formalities are complete, you can leave. If police verification is required, you will be informed via SMS service. Your passport will be couriered to your new address.
Fees for Change of Address in Passport
|Applicant’s Age||Validity Required||Normal Charge||Tatkal Charge|
|Less than 15 Years||All||Rs. 1,000||Rs. 3,000|
|15 years - 18 years||5 years or till the age of 18 years||Rs. 1000||Rs. 3,000|
|10 years (36 pages)||Rs. 1,500||Rs. 3,500|
|10 years (60 pages)||Rs. 2,000||Rs. 4,000|
|18 years and above||10 years (36 pages)||Rs. 1,500||Rs. 3,500|
|10 years (60 pages)||Rs. 2,000||Rs. 4,000|
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges
News related to How To Change The Address In Passport
Warangal Post Office To Now Offer Passport Services
Passport applications are set to be accepted by head post offices and officials find themselves busy setting up waiting halls and token counters for applicants in Mahbubnagar town and Hanmakonda in Warangal. These head offices will soon have Passport Seva Kendras. Arrangements are being supervised in the Telangana Postal Circle and the Regional Passport Office in Hyderabad. The two post offices have already been visited by a group of officials.
V Upender, the director or postal services in the Telangana Postal Circle revealed that the Ministry of External Affairs has chosen two head post offices in Telangana to set up Passport Seva Kendras. He also added that two senior postal employees shall be available at the post office Passport Seva Kendras, of which one will be responsible for the verification of passport applications while the other will serve as the Passport Granting Officer.
10th March 2017
Asansol to Host Passport Seva Camp
Kolkata’s Regional Passport Office will be organising a Passport Seva Camp for those who wish to apply for a passport. The program is targeted at individuals who reside within the region that falls under the jurisdiction of the District Police Headquarters of Purulia, Bankura, Burdwan, Birbhum and Asansol-Durgapur. The camp is set to take place at the meeting hall, SDO’s office in Asansol, and is expected to handle only 200 passport application, and these applications do not include PCC or tatkal. 600 applications are expected to be processed in three days between the 13th and 15th of January.
16th January 2017
Coimbatore RPO launches student connect program
Ministry of External Affair (MEA) has initiated few interesting programs for students that make the passport application process easy for them. Currently, institutes falling in Coimbatore passport office's jurisdiction are notified about the programs. The following list contains important details about the programs:
A student can visit a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) without an appointment
Students can take advantage of special walk-in processing at PSKs
PSK camps will be held at various institutes
Colleges and institutes can contact the RPO to set up camps
For camps held at institutes, student won't need to worry about original certificates
Faculty members and staff can also avail this facility
The past few years have witnessed a rise in the student passport application. Taking into account the student's need for learning and career opportunities, MEA has taken necessary steps to ensure a smooth and easy passport application process for students. These programs will also help RPOs and government in processing more passport applications each year.
27th December 2016