A passport is a government-issued document that certifies your identity and nationality. This is a mandatory document if you wish to travel abroad and identifies you as a citizen of the issuing country. It also serves as identification proof and is accepted widely for all purposes. A passport does not guarantee entry into your destination country. A standard passport contains details such as the holder's name, place and date of birth, photograph, signature, and other identifying information.
Process of Change of Address in Passport
The process for changing your address in your passport is detailed below.
- Log onto the Passport Seva website.
- If you are already registered, use “Existing User? Login”, enter your user ID and password and enter your account.
- If you are a first-time user, click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Choose a passport office nearest to you.
- Provide your personal details that include your name and date of birth.
- Create a login ID and password and register.
- An email will be sent to you with a link to activate your account.
- Once you click on this link, login and click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”
Process of Passport Re-issue
As per prevalent rules, you have to apply for a ‘reissue of passport’ if you wish to change your address. The application process for reissue of a passport can be found here.
Fees for Change of Address in Passport
The fees for changing your address on your passport are the same as the fees for reissue of a passport. The fee would differ depending on the type of passport being applied for, number of pages in the booklet, normal/tatkaal application etc.
The fees for each type of application
|Applicant’s age||Passport validity||Number of pages||Normal charge||Tatkaal charge|
|Less than 15 years||10 years or till holder reaches 18 years of age||36 pages||Rs.1,000||Rs.3,000|
|15 – 18 years||5 years or till holder reaches 18 years of age||36 pages||Rs.1,000||Rs.3,000|
|15 – 18 years||10 years||36 pages||Rs.1,500||Rs.3,500|
|15 – 18 years||10 years||60 pages||Rs.2,000||Rs.4,000|
|18 years and above||10 years||36 pages||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|18 years and above||10 years||60 pages||Rs.2,000||Rs.4,000|
The following documents are to be submitted when applying for a change of address:
- Original old Passport.
- Copy of your online application.
- Copy of payment receipt or challan receipt
- Self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Current address proof (Any one)
- Election Commission Photo/Voter ID card
- Aadhaar card
- Electricity bill
- Water bill
- Proof of gas connection
- Telephone bill (mobile or landline)
- Registered rent agreement
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Spouse's passport copy (first and last page including family details). Applicant's present address should match the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport.
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head
- Photo passbook of running bank account (Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks, Scheduled Public Sector Banks, and Regional Rural Banks only)
* In addition to the documents listed above, the following documents are required for the below Categories.
|Minors||Government/PSU/Statutory Body||Retired Government Officials|
|Annexure 'H||No Objection Certificate- Annexure 'M' OR a Prior Intimation Letter- Annexure 'N'.||copy of your Pension Payment Order.|
Reason to Change Address in Passport
If you have changed your residential address or are relocating, you are required to update this information in your passport. To change your address on your passport, you need to apply for a re-issue of your passport. Through this process, you will receive a new passport with a new number and your updated address.
- Do I have to be present when submitting my change of address application form?
- I will be staying at my current address for less than 1 year, do I still have to update my address in my passport?
- Do I have to carry my original documents when visiting the PSK for my interview?
No, the application form for change of address is to be submitted online.
As per guidelines issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, you should update your current address in your passport to reflect the change in residence.
Yes, it is mandatory to carry all your original documents when visiting the PSK for your passport interview.