Why Do You Need To Renew Your Passport?
If you plan on travelling abroad, a passport is a mandatory document you need to carry. But you need not apply for a passport only when you plan on travelling, anyone can get a passport at any time provided they produce the necessary documentation and details. A passport doesn’t guarantee entry into any country, but is a required document to go abroad. Furthermore, a passport in India is valid only for 10 years after that passport renewal is required before or when it expires. A passport is also widely accepted proof of identification, address and age. Having a passport is extremely useful and comes in handy at many points in life.
How To Do Passport Renewal India?
For applicants who wish to apply online, make the payment and book an appointment, there are 5 major steps to completing this process.
- Registering Online
- You need register for the passport renewal online on the Passport Seva website.
- If you already have registered on the website, you can login using the link “Existing User? Login”.
- If you are new to the website, click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Select the passport office closest to you based on your current address.
- To register, you will need provide your basic details that include your name and date of birth.
- Create a login ID and password, set a hint question and register.
- You will then receive an email to the address you provided.
- Activate your account using the link in the email.
- Once you have logged in to your passport account, click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”
- Filling in the Application
- There are two options for filling the form available.
- Download a PDF form and fill it up offline
- Fill in the form available online
- You need to fill in your current address.
- Update your details in case you need to change your spouse details or any other details.
- You need to provide two local references. Provide their full name, phone number and address. If police verification is required, these people will be contacted. For online forms, you can click on submit to complete the application.
- If you are using the PDF form, note that when you enter your city or village, you must hit validate and save the form. You then need to upload this document to the same page where you downloaded it from. The details will automatically be entered in the online form. Verify all your details as you can’t change it after this step. The only option will be to change it at the passport office. You can then submit your application.
- For passport renewal application, there is no payment required.
- Booking a slot
- You can click on “Schedule Appointment”.
- Select an available slot which is convenient for you. You may also be given the option to choose which passport office you’d prefer to visit.
- Once you have confirmed your preferred slot, your appointment will be scheduled.
- Visiting the Passport Office
You can go to the passport office you chose about 15 minutes before your slot. There’s no need to go too early as the slots are generally on time. Do not hesitate to ask for help from anyone. You will be allotted a group number, ensure you find out this number. It should be mentioned on your form. When your number is called, you can go with your group to the next room and start your application process. If you sign up for SMS service, you will receive updates on your passport status. Once you have successfully completed the process and submitted all required documents, the validity will be changed on the passport. The same booklet will be returned to you.
Documents Required For Passport Renewal Online
The Passport Seva Kendra website has a Document Advisor for renewal of passport. You need to select your details for renew and a list of documents required will be generated. You must ensure you carry a copy of your online application. This document is mandatory for online passport application. You will need to carry the following documents:
- Original old Passport.
- Self attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- Self attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
Purpose of Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Short Validity Passports (SVP) are issued in certain cases such as the following:
- Students appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, et cetera
- Indians residing abroad who wish to travel to India
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit
- Applicant has a criminal case is pending in a court
Validity of Renewal of Short Validity Passport(SVP)
The validity of renewal of SVPs depends on the RPO/Assistant Passport Officer’s discretion. The maximum validity granted will be 10 years.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The passport renewal process is quite simple for SVP. One can visit the Passport Seva Kendra office and make an application. These applicants can pay cash at the office.
Fees for Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
There are no passport renewal fee associated with Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP). As there is no new booklet being issued, the passport renewal procedure is free.
Difference Between Renewal And Re-Issue
- Renewal - Renewal of your passport is in the event that you have a passport that was issued for a short validity that could be from 1 to 5 years, and you now need to extend the validity of the passport up to the full 10 years. Under renewal, you need to carry your old passport. The number will remain the same, only the validity will be changed. The same old passport will be returned to you as the renewed passport.
- Re-issue - There is much confusion about the two terms when it comes to passports. To make it simple, a reissue of passport is when you need a completely new passport. You will receive a new booklet and a new passport number. Re-issue is commonly mistaken for renewal even at the passport offices. Passports are re-issued under the following circumstances:
- Expired or about to expire passport.
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
- Change in personal details
Learn More About Difference Between Passport Renewal And Reissue
Passport Renewal FAQs
- What will the validity of my passport be after renewal?
The validity of passport would be decided by Assistant Passport Officer /RPO. The maximum validity granted is 10 years.
- Do I require a passport agent to renew my passport?
Currently, the system is clear and transparent, so you do not need an agent. You can complete the process by yourself. If the applicant is illiterate or requires an agent’s help, then they can approach an agent.
- How will I receive my renewed passport?
For passport renewal, you will not receive a new booklet. The validity mentioned on the passport will be changed. The same booklet will be handed back to you.
- Do I have to submit my original documents or will a copy suffice?
You are required to carry your original documents to the passport office for your appointment. You need to only submit self-attested copies of your documents. Your originals will be used for verification and given back to you.
- My application form has a mistake. How do I correct it?
You cannot make corrections to your form online once it is submitted. You can visit the Passport Seva Kendra. Ask the Citizen Service Executive to make the change.
- What are the charges for renewing my passport?
If you are renewing your passport, meaning you are extending the validity on your existing passport, there are no charges.
News About Passport Renewal
POPSKs in Telangana to get two counters for passport purposes
Post Office Passport Seva Kendras in Telangana will get two counters for passport-related issues. After much ado, the central government decided to make it happen as several people have asked for by the state government.
Currently, centres will be opened in Warangal and Mahbubnagar districts for which the central government has consented.
State BJP President K Laxman was the person who pitched the idea which was approved by the central government. After his proposal was accepted, he thanked Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya and MEA head Sushma Swaraj for making this happen.
14th April 2017
Silchar becomes the first North Eastern city to get a Passport Seva Kendra
Silchar, a place near Guwahati, becomes the first North Eastern locality to get a Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) revealed a news sources last week.
John Mai, the Regional Passport Officer, spoke about the news and said that over 80 applicants can get their applications processed on a single working day.
This POPSK is expected to cover regions like Barak Valley and Dima Hasao and that it will, among other things, work towards clearing application of differently-abled people on priority.
The source also suggested that upon opening, as many as 5 applicants got their biometric scans as early as Saturday and that more people will get the chance to have their passport made.
PWD minister Parimal Suklabaidya also shared his view on the issue and said that although this isn’t a huge news for the city, it will help plenty of people in South Assam apply and get their passport done sooner.
31st March 2017
POPSK to Open in Hanamkonda
The government is planning on opening a Passport Centre in Hanamkonda post office soon. It has also agreed to launch a passport centre in the headquarters of Warangal district. According to officers, POPSK can give 100 appointments in a day.
9th March 2017
Mobile Van Makes Passport Application Debut in Pune
A mobile van processed two passport applications on its first run in Pune, which is being hailed as a way to reach out to applicants from remote areas in the country. The van, which was run as an experiment by the Regional Passport Office in Pune, processed the applications in Baramati taluka on January 14, 2017.
The project was conducted jointly by the passport office and Vidya Prathisthan Institute of Information Technology, which set up the high-speed internet in the van.
There are plans to conduct a similar experiment in the city of Pune as well. Passport officials are hopeful that the project can be implemented across the country, stating that the van requires the bare minimum in terms of set-up and technology.
The van would speed up the application process for remote parts of the country, which currently require applicants to visit the nearest town or city to hand in their application forms for preliminary approval.
23rd January 2017
In order to renew Passport, Governor visits PSK
The Passport Seva Kendra witnessed an unexpected visitor in the form of Governor VP Singh Badnore. He visited the PSK in order to renew his passport. Although, by virtue of his post, there is no need for him to visit the Passport Seva Kendra, he did so because he wanted to witness the facilities at the Passport Seva Kendra.
The RPO of Chandigarh, Rakesh Aggarwal explained to the Governor, the process of passport issuance and also said that over 2000 passports are issued every day. The Governor also interacted with other passport applicants to get their feedback.
15th September 2016
Indian Passports to be Renewed by Indian Consulate in Just Five Days
A number of Indian expatriates residing overseas had to wait for a minimum of 40 days for the renewal of their passports. Since the process consumed too much time and effort, the Indian diplomatic missions in the UAE have found a means through which the time required to renew a passport will reduce significantly. Going forward, passports can be renewed in just five working days. Individuals whose passports are expiring can renew the same, whether they were issued by an Indian passport authority within the country or overseas, including the Indian Consulate in Dubai. The news comes as a relief for Indian expatriates who earlier found it difficult to have their passports renewed quickly.
20th June 2016