If you are planning to travel abroad, either solo or with family and friends, having a passport is mandatory as without it you cannot visit other countries. However, to apply for a passport it is not necessary that you need to plan on travelling abroad. A passport can be availed by an individual at any time provided they produce the necessary documents.
A passport does not guarantee entry into any country but is a prerequisite to travel. A passport in India is valid for a period of only 10 years. To continue availing the benefits of the passport, the individual needs to renew the passport before the expiry of 10 years or after the validity expires. It needs to be mentioned that a passport is widely accepted as a proof of identification, address and age. As such, having a passport is extremely useful as it comes in handy at many points in an individual’s life.
Passport Renewal Process in India
When it comes to renewal of passports in India, individuals can avail two modes. One is the online mode and the other being the offline mode. Here, we explain both the processes in a detailed manner. For applicants who wish to apply online, they need to ensure that the steps mentioned below are followed:
Registering Online for Passport Renewal Process
The first step in looking to applying for passport renewal through online requires the applicant to have a passport account on the official website of Passport Seva. An individual can create a passport account by following the steps mentioned below:
- The individual must first register for passport renewal on the Passport Seva website.
- If already registered on the website, he/she can login using the link ‘Existing User? Login’.
- If not an existing user, the individual needs to click on ‘New User? Register Now’.
- Next, select the passport office closest based on the current address.
- Provide the basic details that includes name, date of birth etc.
- Create a login ID and password.
- Set a hint question and register.
- On doing so, the individual will receive a mail on the e-mail address provided.
- Activate the account using the link in the email.
- Once the individual signs in to the passport account, he/she needs to click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’.
Filling in the Passport Renewal Application
Next step in the process of applying for passport renewal is filling in the form available on the website. The individual needs to provide details like current address, of his/her spouse among other basic details. The individual also needs to provide the details of two local references who can be contacted in case police verification is required to be carried out. It needs to be remembered that the individual must click ‘validate’ and save the form after he/she enters the city or village. The saved file is required to be uploaded to the same page where it was downloaded from. Thereafter, the details will automatically be entered in the form. After filling in the form, the individual needs to verify all the details to ensure that there is no mistake in the form.
Booking a Slot to Get Renewed Passport
Next part in the process is scheduling an interview. The individual can do it by clicking on ‘Schedule Appointment’. Next, the applicant needs to select an available slot which is convenient from him/her. Once confirmed, the appointment at the passport office in scheduled.
Visiting the Passport Office to Renew Passport
After scheduling the appointment, the individual must go to the passport office on the date of appointment. There he/she will be allotted a group number. The number should be mentioned on the form. When your number is called, the applicant needs to go with the group to the next room and start the application process. Once the process is successfully completed, the validity will be changed on the passport.
Documents Required for Passport Renewal
When an individual applies for the renewal of passport, there are certain documents that needs to be submitted along with the application form. The Passport Seva Kendra website has a ‘Document Advisor’ for renewal of passport. The individual needs to select the details for renew and a list of the required documents will be generated. Some of the required documents needed are as follows:
- Original old Passport
- Self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the passport.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, with respect to the Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Difference between Renewal and Reissue of Passports
While renewal of the passport is carried out in the event that the validity of the existing passport expired, a passport is reissued in the event of the following:
- Expired or about to expire passport
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
- Change in personal details
In the case of renewal of passport, the existing passport is given to the individual as the renewed passport while a new passport is provided to the individual when he/she applies for a reissue of passport.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The passport renewal process is quite simple for SVP. All the individual needs to do is visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and file an application for the purpose of renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
The purpose for renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
Short Validity Passports (SVP) are issued in cases such as the ones which are mentioned below:
- Students appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, etc
- NRIs who wish to travel to India
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit
- Applicant having a pending criminal case in court
Fees needed to be paid for renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
It needs to be mentioned that an applicant who applies for the renewal of Short Validity Passport need not pay any fees. The entire process in provided to the individual’s free-of-cost by the government.
Validity period of Short Validity Passport (SVP) after renewal
The validity of renewed Short Validity Passports (SVPs) depends solely on the discretion of the RPO or the Assistant Passport Officer (APO). The maximum validity granted for SVPs is 10 years.
Frequently Asked Questions with regards to Passport Renewal
- What will the validity of my passport be after I renew it?
- Do I require a passport agent to renew my passport?
- How will I receive my renewed passport?
- Do I have to submit my original documents?
- My application form has a mistake. How do I correct it?
- What are the charges that I need to pay for renewing my passport?
- When can I renew my existing passport before it expires?
The validity of passport would be decided by Assistant Passport Officer/RPO. The maximum validity granted is 10 years.
No, you do not need a passport agent for renewing your passport as the system is a transparent one. However, if the applicant is illiterate then he/she can avail the help of a third person.
When you renew your passport, you do not receive a new booklet. The only change made is that the validity of the passport is changed on the existing booklet that you possess.
No, you need not submit your original documents. While you are required to carry your original documents to the passport office on the day of your appointment for verification, the self-attested copies of the necessary documents are needed to be submitted.
You cannot make corrections to the application form online once it is submitted. For rectifying the mistake you need to visit the Passport Seva Kendra and ask the citizen service executive to make the necessary changes.
There are charges for renewing the passport. Hence, you need pay any money while applying for renewing of passport.
You can apply for the renewal of the existing passport when only one year is remaining for the validity to expire.
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges