Why Do You Need To Renew Your Passport?
If you plan on travelling abroad, a passport is a mandatory document you need to carry. But you need not apply for a passport only when you plan on travelling, anyone can get a passport at any time provided they produce the necessary documentation and details. A passport doesn’t guarantee entry into any country, but is a required document to go abroad. Furthermore, a passport in India is valid only for 10 years after that passport renewal is required before or when it expires. A passport is also widely accepted proof of identification, address and age. Having a passport is extremely useful and comes in handy at many points in life.
How To Do Passport Renewal India?
For applicants who wish to apply online, make the payment and book an appointment, there are 5 major steps to completing this process.
- Registering Online
- You need register for the passport renewal online on the Passport Seva website.
- If you already have registered on the website, you can login using the link “Existing User? Login”.
- If you are new to the website, click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Select the passport office closest to you based on your current address.
- To register, you will need provide your basic details that include your name and date of birth.
- Create a login ID and password, set a hint question and register.
- You will then receive an email to the address you provided.
- Activate your account using the link in the email.
- Once you have logged in to your passport account, click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”
- Filling in the Application
- There are two options for filling the form available.
- Download a PDF form and fill it up offline
- Fill in the form available online
- You need to fill in your current address.
- Update your details in case you need to change your spouse details or any other details.
- You need to provide two local references. Provide their full name, phone number and address. If police verification is required, these people will be contacted. For online forms, you can click on submit to complete the application.
- If you are using the PDF form, note that when you enter your city or village, you must hit validate and save the form. You then need to upload this document to the same page where you downloaded it from. The details will automatically be entered in the online form. Verify all your details as you can’t change it after this step. The only option will be to change it at the passport office. You can then submit your application.
- For passport renewal application, there is no payment required.
- Booking a slot
- You can click on “Schedule Appointment”.
- Select an available slot which is convenient for you. You may also be given the option to choose which passport office you’d prefer to visit.
- Once you have confirmed your preferred slot, your appointment will be scheduled.
- Visiting the Passport Office
You can go to the passport office you chose about 15 minutes before your slot. There’s no need to go too early as the slots are generally on time. Do not hesitate to ask for help from anyone. You will be allotted a group number, ensure you find out this number. It should be mentioned on your form. When your number is called, you can go with your group to the next room and start your application process. If you sign up for SMS service, you will receive updates on your passport status. Once you have successfully completed the process and submitted all required documents, the validity will be changed on the passport. The same booklet will be returned to you.
Documents Required For Passport Renewal Online
The Passport Seva Kendra website has a Document Advisor for renewal of passport. You need to select your details for renew and a list of documents required will be generated. You must ensure you carry a copy of your online application. This document is mandatory for online passport application. You will need to carry the following documents:
- Original old Passport.
- Self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
Purpose Of Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Short Validity Passports (SVP) are issued in certain cases such as the following:
- Students appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, et cetera
- Indians residing abroad who wish to travel to India
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit
- Applicant has a criminal case is pending in a court
Validity Of Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The validity of renewal of SVPs depends on the RPO/Assistant Passport Officer’s discretion. The maximum validity granted will be 10 years.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The passport renewal process is quite simple for SVP. One can visit the Passport Seva Kendra office and make an application. These applicants can pay cash at the office.
Fees For Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
There are no passport renewal fee associated with Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP). As there is no new booklet being issued, the passport renewal procedure is free.
Difference Between Renewal And Re-Issue
- Renewal - Renewal of your passport is in the event that you have a passport that was issued for a short validity that could be from 1 to 5 years, and you now need to extend the validity of the passport up to the full 10 years. Under renewal, you need to carry your old passport. The number will remain the same, only the validity will be changed. The same old passport will be returned to you as the renewed passport.
- Re-issue - There is much confusion about the two terms when it comes to passports. To make it simple, a reissue of passport is when you need a completely new passport. You will receive a new booklet and a new passport number. Re-issue is commonly mistaken for renewal even at the passport offices. Passports are re-issued under the following circumstances:
- Expired or about to expire passport.
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
- Change in personal details
Learn More About Difference Between Passport Renewal And Reissue
Passport Renewal FAQs
What will the validity of my passport be after renewal?
Do I require a passport agent to renew my passport?
How will I receive my renewed passport?
Do I have to submit my original documents or will a copy suffice?
My application form has a mistake. How do I correct it?
What are the charges for renewing my passport?
The validity of passport would be decided by Assistant Passport Officer /RPO. The maximum validity granted is 10 years.
Currently, the system is clear and transparent, so you do not need an agent. You can complete the process by yourself. If the applicant is illiterate or requires an agent’s help, then they can approach an agent.
For passport renewal, you will not receive a new booklet. The validity mentioned on the passport will be changed. The same booklet will be handed back to you.
You are required to carry your original documents to the passport office for your appointment. You need to only submit self-attested copies of your documents. Your originals will be used for verification and given back to you.
You cannot make corrections to your form online once it is submitted. You can visit the Passport Seva Kendra. Ask the Citizen Service Executive to make the change.
If you are renewing your passport, meaning you are extending the validity on your existing passport, there are no charges.
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges
News About Passport Renewal
Serbia offers visa exemption for Indian passport holders
In a bid to boost tourism, the Government of Serbia has decided to exempt the visa requirements for Indian passport holders. Indians can now visit Serbia without a visa. The new scheme allows Indians to transit through and also to reside in Serbia for a maximum of one month within a one-year period. The decision was made on 2 September, 2017 which enables the ordinary passport holders from India to visit Serbia without a visa. Individuals are advised to visit the official website of Serbia to obtain further details on this new visa exemption scheme.
20th September 2017
Malappuram Regional passport office will be shifted to Kozhikode
One of the highest passport distribution centers in India, Malappuram Regional Passport office might get shifted to the main office in Kozhikode. It is reported that the office is rented for Rs.1.25 lakhs the decision of shifting is to curb the expenditure.
Malappuram falls on the second place among all the B-grade passport offices in the country. This office receives at least 1,300 applications and deliver 22,000 passports every day.
Presently, Kozhikode, Kasaragod, Wayanad, and Kannur districts were falling under the Kozhikode office and since the Malappuram office will be shifted, many expatriates are worried about receiving the passport very late.
12th September 2017
Government defends the policies concerning impounding of passport
Following the plea of a businessman concerning the impounding of his passport, the government has opposed stating the missing information. There are several criminal cases registered against that individual which was not brought to light, under such circumstances, the government holds right to impound the passport. The businessmen are also accused of defaulting payment to a lending institution. The Ministry of External Affairs has already made it clear under the section 10(3)(c) of the Passport Act which mentions the impounding of passport.
28th August 2017
Passport Mela to be organized in Gangtok and Kolkata on July 29
The Regional Passport Office Kolkata is organizing Passport Mela at PSK Kolkata and PSLK Gangtok on July 29. The applicants will have to bring online Application Reference Number (ARN) sheets along with other important documents like proof of date of birth, proof of identity, and address (both self-attested and original). The detailed information on the same can be obtained from www.passportindia.gov.in said a government statement. Bibhuti Bhusan Kumar, the Regional Passport Officer, says that applications in only the general category of both, re-issue and fresh cases will be taken care of in the mela and appointments for the same will be given out on the website. Applicants from Tripura can also book appointments at PSK Kolkata in this fair.
The applicants have to pay fees for the passport through online payment method. Only applicants will appointments will be entertained. No walk-in application will be accepted.
16th August 2017
Kolkata: M J Akbar inaugurates POPSK to extend passport services
In a bid to provide convenient passport related services, the minister of state for external affairs – M J Akbar has recently inaugurated a new POPSK (Post Office Passport Seva Kendra) in Kolkata. This initiative is a part of the new 149 POPSK plan that aims at ensuring that people do not have to travel over 50 kilometers for passport application and related services. Considering the fact that post offices have the widest reach even in the rural areas, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and the Department Of Post (DOP) have come together to utilize few of the post offices to double up as passport offices. This initiative will help the government in managing the increasing demand for passport and related services.
24th July 2017
From now on, foreigners will be allowed to book tickets 360 days in advance
The Indian Railways have declared that it will soon permit foreign nationals to book tickets 360 days in advance. This change is being brought in to promote tourism in India. A Railway Ministry official confirmed the news saying that now NRIs will be able to book tickets under foreigner’s quota 360 days in advance. At present, foreigners are permitted to book tickets 120 days in advance of their scheduled travel. The authority said that the new facility would be officially declared on July 7 or July 12. Under this new rule, foreign nationals will be able to book first AC second AC and executive class tickets in premium trains like the Rajdhani Express, Shatabdi Express and the new launched Gatimaan Express and Tejas Express.Foreign citizens will be required to provide details of their passport, visa, and their mobile numbers through the IRCTC website.
IRCTC will charge Rs.200 as service charge from the foreign citizens, the official announced, adding that for cancelling the ticket, the present rules will be applicable. This is touted to be one of the most significant steps taken to promote tourism in India.
12th July 2017
Gen VK Singh says no to special status for state
Gen VK Singh, the Union Minister of State for External Affairs, said that the state government in Odisha have failed to achieve the required level of development in spite of getting adequate amount of fund flow from the Centre. Hence, they will not be given the special status under this circumstance. It is to be noted that states with special status are getting significant amount of funding from the Centre for developmental purposes. Singh said that special category status is given so that the state in question can get some financial assistance from the Centre. The Centre is now giving funds to the state instead of providing assistance under a special package. But the desired development in the state is missing. Other than this, the state is receiving 10% more help as per the recommendation of the 14th Finance Commission. The panel has advised an increase in the share of states in central taxes from 32% to 42%. It is not important to connect such status to states that are getting 12% more funds.
The Prime Minister is clear about his stance that all states must develop in a balanced way. Prosperity must come in all the states as their development would lead to an all-round progress of the nation, Singh said.
21st June 2017
New PSK in Koraput
A new passport seva kendra (PSK) was opened at Koraput in the head post office of the town. The PSK was inaugurated by Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister, Petroleum and Natural Gas.
The new PSK will come as a boon to people from districts such as Malkangiri, Nabarangpur and Rayagada as they do not have to travel to Bhubaneswar for passport services.
As of now, as many as 631 applications have been received. So far the PSK has issued around 158 passports to applicants.
The government is also likely to set up an Aadhaar card center to make it easier for people to procure Aadhaar cards.
12th June 2017
7 new passport kendras likely in Odisha
Due to the sudden rise in demand for passports, Union MInister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan, has urged the Minister of External Affairs Susma Swaraj to issue orders to launch 7 new Passport Seva Kendras in Odisha.
He said that the new centres need to be set up in Angul, Berhampur, Balasore, Kendrapada, Bolangir, Jajpur and Bhawanipatna. He added that there is a surge in demand for more kendras from skilled and semi-skilled personnel, students, businessmen, research scholars and tourists in such areas. Passport Seva Kendras have already been inaugurated in Sambalpur and Rourkela.
31st May 2017
Mysuru Passport Office to receive a Granting Officer soon
The Post Office Passport Seva Kendra in Metagalli, Mysuru will receive a Granting Office within a period of 3 months said MP Pratap Simha. Mr. Simha said that 4,000 applications were pending in the city and this matter was brought to the notice of Sushma Swaraj, the External Affairs Minister and had also asked the Regional Passport Officer in Bengaluru to prioritize passport applications from Mysuru that were pending.
He said that currently Mysuru is receiving an average of 120-130 applications each day and that four Granting Officers have been appointed in Bengaluru for the purpose of clearing pending applications from Mysuru.
11th May 2017