A passport in India is valid for a period of only 10 years. To continue availing the benefits of the passport, the individual needs to renew the passport before the expiry of 10 years or after the validity expires. A passport is widely accepted as a proof of identification, address and age. Having a passport is extremely useful as it comes in handy at many points in an individual’s life.
Registering Online for Passport Renewal Process
The first step in looking to applying for passport renewal through online requires the applicant to have a passport account on the official website of Passport Seva. An individual can create a passport account by following the steps mentioned below:
- You have to first register for passport renewal on the Passport Seva website.
- If already registered on the website, you can login using the link ‘Existing User Login’.
- If not an existing user, you will have to create an account by clicking on ‘New User Register Now’.
- Next, select the passport office closest based on your address.
- Provide the basic details that includes name, date of birth etc. and create a login ID and password.
- You will receive an email with an activation link.
- Activate the account using the link in the email.
- Once you have signed in to the passport account, go to the ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ tab.
Filling in the Passport Renewal Application
- After creating an account, you will have to fill in the online form.
- Click on the ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ link and fill in the form.
- Once the form has been duly filled-in, click on ‘Validate’ to save a copy of the form.
- You will have to upload the filled-in form and click ‘Submit’. It is advisable to verify all information entered before you submit the form to avoid errors.
Documents Required for Passport Renewal
When an individual applies for the renewal of passport, there are certain documents that have to be submitted along with the application form. The Passport Seva Kendra website has a ‘Document Advisor’ for renewal of passport. Based on the type of passport being renewed (regular/tatkaal) as well as the age of the applicant (minor/adult), documentation would differ. The general documents for most applications are as follows:
- Original old Passport
- Self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the passport.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, with respect to the Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Booking a Slot to Get Renewed Passport
After submitting the form, you have to schedule an interview based on the available slots. The process is listed below:
- After logging in to your account, go to the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link and select a date from the available slots.
- After you have selected a slot, you will be directed to the payment gateway as all appointments have to be paid for online. Based on the type of application (normal/tatkaal) and number of pages you would like in your new passport booklet, the fee will differ.
- You can choose from the following payment options:
- SBI Bank challan
- Internet banking
- Credit/debit card (MasterCard and Visa cards only).
- After making the payment, click on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link on-screen. Remember to carry a printout of the receipt which mentions the Application Reference Number (ARN)/ Appointment Number when you go for the interview.
Visiting the Passport Office to Renew Passport
On the day of your appointment, carry the ARN and all original documents to the Passport Seva Kendra/Regional Passport Office.
Difference between Renewal and Reissue of Passports
While renewal of the passport is carried out in the event that the validity of the existing passport expired, a passport is reissued in the event of the following:
- Expired or about to expire passport
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
- Change in personal details
In the case of renewal of passport, the existing passport is given to the individual as the renewed passport while a new passport is provided to the individual when he/she applies for a reissue of passport.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The passport renewal process is quite simple for SVP. All the individual needs to do is visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and file an application for the purpose of renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Short Validity Passports (SVP) are issued in cases such as the ones which are mentioned below:
- Students appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, etc
- NRIs who wish to travel to India for short periods
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit
- Applicants with pending criminal cases
- What will the validity of my passport be after I renew it?
- Do I require a passport agent to renew my passport?
- Do I have to submit my original documents?
- My application form has a mistake. How do I correct it?
- When can I renew my existing passport before it expires?
The validity of passport would be decided by Assistant Passport Officer/RPO. The maximum validity granted is 10 years.
No, you do not need a passport agent for renewing your passport as the system is a transparent one. However, if the applicant is illiterate then he/she can avail the help of a third person.
No, you need not submit your original documents. While you are required to carry your original documents to the passport office on the day of your appointment for verification, the self-attested copies of the necessary documents are to be submitted.
You cannot make corrections to the application form online once it is submitted. To correct the mistake you need to visit the Passport Seva Kendra and ask the citizen service executive to make the necessary changes.
You can apply for renewal of the existing passport up to a year prior to the current passport’s expiry.