The Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is issued to Indian citizens looking to move to a foreign country for the purpose of employment, long term stay or residential stay. People travelling abroad on tourist visa cannot apply for PCC from Indian authorities.
Currently, there are 17 countries which have been designated as Emigration Check Required (ECR) countries due to their relatively lenient rules regarding entry and employment of foreign nationals. To protect the citizens from undue stress especially those arising out of wrongful employment, the Emigration Check Not Required or ECNR status is mandatorily required for non-tourist visa travelling to the below mentioned States.
- United Arab Emirates
- Saudi Arabia
Mandatory Documents Required
- Passport in original plus self-attested copy of first 2 and last 2 pages of the passport which includes the ECR/ECNR page as well as page of observation (if any)
- Address proof if change of address from what is given in the passport.
- Copy of visa and translation of the same into English if original language is something else.
Documents Required (Work-Related Travel)
1. For skilled/semi-skilled individuals
In case of skilled/semi-skilled individuals who have signed a contract directly with a foreign employer and not through Recruiting Agents (RA) recognized by the Protector of Emigrants (POE), the following needs to be submitted for PCC:
- Mandatory Documents along with Self-attested copy of employment contract.
2. For unskilled individuals/Woman Applicants
In case of unskilled individuals as well as women (30 years or over) applicants who have signed a contract directly with a foreign employer and not through an RA, the following needs to be submitted:
- Mandatory Documents along with Employment contract attested by the relevant Indian Mission or Permission Letter from relevant Indian Mission/Post.
3. For skilled/semi-skilled individuals (through Recruiting Agents)
In case of skilled/semi-skilled applicants who have signed a contract with a foreign employer through an RA, the following needs to be submitted:
- Mandatory Documents along with Employment contract copies, demand letter and power of attorney from foreign employer, attested by the concerned RA
- Registration certificate copy issued by the POE
4. For unskilled individuals/women applicants (through Recruiting Agents)
In case of unskilled individuals or women applicants who have signed a contract with a foreign employer through an RA, the following should be submitted:
- Mandatory Documents along with Employment contract copies, demand letter and power of attorney from foreign employer, attested by the concerned Indian Mission.
- Registration certificate copy issued by the POE
5. For dependent family members of a person emigrating or residing in both ECR & ECNR countries
- Mandatory Documents along with Declaration of sponsorship by relevant person sponsoring the emigration of said applicant.
Documents Required (Emigration-Related Travel)
- Mandatory Documents along with Documentary proof denoting application for long term visa, residential status or employment (employment contract copy).
How to Apply For PCC Online?
The online PCC application submission is a simple process. The steps to be followed are outlined below:
- Register on the Passport Seva Portal and login to your account.
- Click on the Apply for Police Clearance Certificate link.
- Fill up the form that comes up and submit it.
- Next, browse to View Saved/Submitted Applications option on your screen and click on the option titled Pay and Schedule Appointment.
- You will need to make the payment online as it is mandatory. Payment can be made through any credit/debit cards, internet banking of SBI and associate banks or through SBI bank challan.
- Now, print the application receipt by clicking on the relevant option and make note of the Application Reference Number or Appointment Number,
- Be present on the day of appointment with all the required documents.
Alternatively, the process above can also be done by first downloading an e-form from the website, filling and saving it in XML format. You need to follow the same steps as above, except the part where you fill the application form online. Here, you can directly upload the already filled XML file. Note that both form submissions have to be done online while online payment is also mandatory.
Police Clearance Certificate Application Form
The police clearance certificate application form can be found on the Passport Seva website. The form can be filled out online and submitted through the website. The form contains the following items which have to be filled out:
- Passport number.
- Passport date of issue and date of expiry.
- Country for which the Police Clearance Certificate is required.
- Applicants given name (includes middle name).
- Applicants surname.
- Applicants date of birth.
- Town or city of residence.
- Marital status.
- Indian citizenship type (select from options provided).
- Employment type.
- Educational qualification.
Family details (either mother/father/legal guardians details to be mentioned):
- Fathers given name (includes middle name and surname, no initials).
- Mothers given name (includes middle name and surname, no initials).
- Guardians given name (includes middle name and surname, no initials).
Residential address details:
- Duration of stay at address.
- Street name and house number.
- Village, town or city name.
- State or Union territory.
- Police station under whose jurisdiction applicant falls under.
- PIN code.
- Applicants mobile number.
- Telephone number (optional).
- Email address (optional).
- If permanent address is same as residential address. If not, the section on permanent address is to be filled out.
- 2 References from the town/ city mentioning the references full name, address, telephone/mobile number.
- Whether any criminal proceedings were conducted against applicant. If yes, details to be provided.
- Self-declaration to be ticked.
- Place of filling the form as well as date to be entered.
The form is then to be saved and uploaded on the website.
Police Clearance Certificate Status
The status of the Police Clearance Certificate differs from state to state. In some cases, the applicant is notified via SMS regarding the status of the clearance, after which he/she will have to visit the police station along with his/her passport and collect the certificate.
Once the applicant has received the Police Clearance Certificate, it is to be uploaded on the Passport Seva website.
The application status can also be tracked through the Passport Seva website. Applicants can go to the Track Application Status tab on the websites homepage, whereupon they will have to enter the type of application (select Passport/PCC/IC), their date of birth and File Number. The application status will then be displayed on the screen.
How can an individual apply for a Police Clearance Certificate?
Applicant will have to procure the Police Clearance Certificate online or offline, fill it and submit it to the Passport Seva Kendra. Self-attested copies of the following documents will have to be given with Police Clearance Certificate application form -
- Original passport with a self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages including the ECR/ECNR(Non-ECR) page and page of observation, if there is any made by the authority issuing the passport along with validity extension page, if there is any.
- Address proof, in case current address is different from that mentioned in the passport.
- In case the Police Verification Report with respect to the current passport is correct without any adverse entry, then the Police Clearance Certificate will be given on the same day at the Passport Seva Kendra.
- In case of situations mentioned below, the Police Clearance Certificate will only be given after police verification process has been completed. After the Police Verification Report is given, applicant will receive a notification from the Passport Office. Applicant will have to then come to the Passport Office along with passport in order to avail the Police Clearance Certificate.
- Applicant was a minor when passport was issued and hence did not require a Police Verification Report, and is now an adult.
- Individual was a dependent of a government employee and hence did not need a Police Verification Report.
- Police Verification Process could not be done during the time of passport issuance due to various reasons.
- Current address of the applicant is not the same as the one mentioned in the passport.
- Other cases wherein passport was provided without police verification being done.
In case the individual is in India, he/she can provide the completed Police Clearance Certificate application form at a Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra that is within the jurisdiction of Passport Office. In case the applicant is out of India, he/she will have to contact the Indian mission in that country. Self-attested copies of the following documents will have to be provided -
- Proof of current address in case the present address is different from the one mentioned in the passport.
- Original passport with a self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages, including the ECR/ECNR(Non-ECR) page and page of observation, if there is any made by the authority issuing the passport along with validity extension page, if there is any.
There is no validity as such for a Police Clearance Certificate as this is not a passport service per say. A Police Clearance Certificate is a requirement of governments abroad in order to grant applicant with a work/immigration/residence/family visa or permit. However, for all intents and purposes, it is considered to be valid for a period of 6 months.
No, only one Police Clearance Certificate can be issued per application form.
No, there is no age limit to avail a Police Clearance Certificate.
A Police Clearance Certificate can be issued to minors only if it required by a foreign government.